Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 01:28:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Focke Wulf Fw190 A-8 - BUILD  (Read 9773 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

I forgot to post this ... slight .... progress shot last month.

I was going to ask why have I stalled so much on this build ... but I do know the reasons. These are hopefully behind me now and my mind is running in all directions!
Now I am a bit 'rusty' (cue for another model on the go!) it is taking a while getting back into things. I need to get some covering and airbrush practice in elsewhere first.

I have eased back into things by adding my favourite radiused fillets! You can argue all you like against them ... they work for me!

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Focke Wulf Fw190 A-8 - BUILD
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »

Thanks for bringing this back to the top...

Russ...

Great build, the "Butcher Bird" is one of my favorite WWII birds.  And you captured all the bumps so well.  Most models miss these features.  Well done!!!

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Nice model Russ.  This year perhaps? 
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »

Tom,
Thanks ... it should really be finished off before it starts sliding down the list again .... nearly two years since my last post  Embarrassed

Hopefully this year Laurence ... but I'm afraid you do perhaps know me by now  Embarrassed
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »

Russ

My how time flies when you are having fun (or not, as the case may be Wink)

I still marvel at the workmanship, and like others feel that it looks too good to cover. Mind you, I'm sure it'll look even better with some tissue and airbrushing.

I'll continue to watch in awe.

Peter
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 06:15:12 PM »

Hi Russ,

Just for the record, I like radiused fillets.  Beautiful model.

Don
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 06:22:09 PM »

Peter,
Thanks ... firing in all directions at the moment ... just hope that I can keep the momentum going into actual builds.
The coupe drawing is still on the go BTW. What date is Viabon? (I don't mind wandering on threads - especially my 'own')

Don,
Thanks ... I think I remember you liking the fillets from times when 'Yad' was still posting.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

Russ, that's gorgeous! You are what I call a serious scale modeller, as opposed to my bags of enthusiasm but sod all talent approach... I hope you can get it done for the Nats, I'd love to see it in the flesh and finished...

Cheers,

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »

'od all talent? .... you gotta be joking Dan.
There are those people that you always want to see what the've got in their model boxes ... for me, you are definitely one of those people.
That's what I like about the Nottingham meets though ... I was feeling pleased with myself there one night ... then I realised I was sat between Paul Briggs and Willard Wigan!
I thought that it doesn't matter how good or bad you think you might be ... there is always something to aim for! Pete wasn't there that night to provide further emphasis!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »

Apart from the beautiful workmanship - you have really captured the shape well, and even duplicated some of the full size structural positions - in the Fin and the wing.
You did a very good job on your drawings.
Glad to see it up and progressing again.
John
TimH

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »

Great to see you getting some building done again Russ; that 190  is a superb piece of workmanship. I'm glad that I saw it in it's uncovered state when you brought it to the Nats a while back, and It would be wonderful to see it done finally; she deserves to fly!

Tim
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, Russ! It's nice to know someone likes what I do, even when I think it's not very good! As you say, we should all aspire to get better, otherwise what is the point?! That should apply to everything; not just playing with small aeroplanes.

See you on the 12th?

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »

Weather permitting Dan .... should be working but nevermind! It used to be great with the 5.30pm start, as I could go straight from work.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »

Like I said, hope you can make it next time. It's a great venue. Don't trust Google as it sent me down a dead end to a fence with a gate in it where you could see the sports hall in the far distance...

If the Ryan or the Bird Dog aren't up to scratch, Knackers to it.  I will build what what I want to build and stuff the competition. We are supposed to be in this for fun, after all.

Cheers, Dan.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »

Russ

There's no rush for the Jumping plan, and I'd rather see you make progress on the 190 Wink. If however, you are sitting at the computer in a plans mood, I catch the late night ferry on Thursday 23rd Feb!

I hope you are not snowed in Shocked I escaped from Husbands Bosworth just before the snow arrived!

Peter
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

Peter,

Were I a connection to a computer, I would be a very slow parallel port rather than a fast serial port! I like to have a few things on the go all coming along very slowly.
I have a child-like attention span I'm afraid!
Besides, my shed is a bit snow covered at the minute for any building work!

Quick question ... would you make the wing for the Jumping in two parts?
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »

I'm afraid that for me ADD rules OK Grin

I'm certain that Jumping 1 was a two piece shoulder mounted wing, but Jumping II is a single piece wing with a sheeted centre section. The 3 view isn't clear, but I've pored over the photo (which is at the start of More Vintage Coupes) and this definitely shows a one piece wing with parallel sheeting just slightly wider than the fuselage.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »

After all this time I have changed the specific aircraft that I am modelling ... I am now going for 'Blue 13' as flown by Walter Dahl.

I have just got a new batch of paints for pilot painting. I have used my favourite 'Games Workshop' paints ... though they have now been rebranded as 'Citadel'.

I have tried to give him a 'Walter Dahl' look with the moustache.  Roll Eyes
The figure is one of Dave Bank's superb pilots.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »

Yeah Russ! Nice to see some more progress on this outstanding build. Looking forward to seeing some more....

Cheers,

Dan.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »

Grin nice looking model  who'se plan/kit arre you using.  what size/

jim
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »

The title for this should perhaps read: 'My Indoor Scale Nats Build - FAIL' ;Undecided

I had hoped to get this model finished for the indoor scale nats - as you will see, I am still a long way off so I suppose I am starting this thread to 'vent my frustration'.

I have designed the model hoping that it will be light enough for indoor flying but suitable for outdoors too.

I have an old Airfix 1/72 kit for the Fw - I've always liked the 'texture' of the 'laddered' flying surfaces and wanted to get that same feel with this model. I have taken the route of 'lots of little bits' so the model is not as heavily built as it might first seem ( Tongue)

I'll start the thread with the bones almost all there. The model was primarily drawn from John Weal 3 view drawings with further help from the Bluebottle Squadron boys and the Bentley drawings. I later found that the drawings I scaled from were not quite 1/72 scale, so the model is 1/19.6 scale instead of the intended 1/20 scale. It's about 21" span anyway!

Russ,

Quite an effort!  What you have posted, in this thread, is a record of a stick and tissue modeling tour de force.  I can't wait to see a photo of it finished.

I have some familiarity with the problem you mentioned in scaling plans from drawings.  Scale drawings from well respected sources are sometimes not to the stated scale and sometimes don't match the stated dimensions.   I have even obtained scale drawings directly from the aircraft manufacturer that were inaccurate.  I admire your diligence!

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »

Thanks all ... I feel as though I have really got to get going on the Fw this time!

Jim,
It's my own design and is just over 21" span

Howard,
I was a bit surprised that the initial drawings didn't quite match the stats for the aircraft when multiplied up ... but I was caught between going for anything between 1/20th and 1/16th scale so the slight size increase is welcome really.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »

Howard,
I was a bit surprised that the initial drawings didn't quite match the stats for the aircraft when multiplied up ... but I was caught between going for anything between 1/20th and 1/16th scale so the slight size increase is welcome really.

Since I fly, mostly, outdoors I have decided to standardize all my new scale designs at 1:16 scale.  This makes most subjects a nice size for outdoor flying and easy conversion to electric power.

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

OK .... I'm ready for the collective groan!  Roll Eyes
Here is my yearly report on the Fw's progress.
Last year turned out to be a bit of a false dawn ... this year could be the same.

Fillets ... some of them anyway!
Watercolour paper .... and glue frosting in a shed that's not really warm enough yet.

Starboard side
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »

Overall shot .... I noticed that there are about seven models at various stages in this shot (a couple of them are Bill Brown's)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: