Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 11:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Focke Wulf Fw190 A-8 - BUILD  (Read 9885 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »

Port side rear fillet in place
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Focke Wulf Fw190 A-8 - BUILD
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »

This shot is purely to urge me on by getting myself to imagine the model with a bit of paint on!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2013, 09:29:15 AM »

It's going to be worth the wait...

It wasn't me
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 09:52:55 PM »

Great progress....she's looking good.  I think we're all guilty of hanger flying and doing what stirs the imagination to see the end product.  Well done! Cool

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »

Its good to see this project moving again. Although I can understand your reluctance to cover that beautiful structure.
I'm sure you will do it justice.
John
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »

Thanks all ... I feel like I'm taking the mickey a bit with the time that has elapsed, but I am posting progress fairly well as it happens. I hope that one day it will look like a proper build thread.

I have made it a bit too complicated for my own good I think ... I've sort of lost my way with it in part. I still have two jam jars full of parts ... some duplicate, some 'obselete' and others still to be added (undercarriage, machine gun 'bumps' for the wings, prop blades etc. etc.)
One thing I do keep forgetting to show are the vac formed spinner and cooling fan that I made a long while ago ... I'll get some photos done soon.

My original plan was to make two ... one for rubber and one electric .... this one might be 'dual fuel', with a plug in electric module as an option to the rubber power I will initially set it up for.

fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »

It's looking like a Lovely model. I'm always seduced by intricate wooden structure scale models .
 IF you go 'lectric. I would suggest shear webs on the wing spars..  easy lite and very useful in cartwheels :-)
My electric (gasp!) RC efforts typically are 1:20 or 1:24 scale. Comprising a wee brushless motor ~10 grams, an esc 6 grams, 17 gram 2S 300 mah battery  a 4 gram Rx and 2 x 2 gram servos.. Under 40 grams total with wires etc.
 A bit porkier than FF admittedly. But that wee motor can hang a 3.5 /4 ounce model on it's propellor (helicopter style)... at will, indefinitely... and gives up to 8 mins of serious performance per charge from that miniscule battery.
 Not suggesting that this is to your liking, just what is easily/currently possible.. for very few $ in avionics ( $8 motor, $6 esc, $4 battery, $3 servo, Rx anywhere from $6 to $20)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »

Fred,
I think I am going to struggle to be under 40g if I remember the last time I weighed things up correctly!
I have a RTF micro RC model and plenty of micro RC gear that has not found it's way into anything yet .... I do like RC but something just keeps me drawn to free flight.
As much as I appreciate his reasons, it still 'upsets' me that Pete Iliffe has converted even some of his FF scale models to RC now  Sad
I've said it before, I find FF more about the model and RC more about the pilot ... this was proved to me by the early trials for indoor scale at RAF Digby in the UK.
All of a sudden we were talking about the quality of 'descending turns' by the pilot etc. and not the model ... sent me cold to be honest.

fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »

Lovely model.. Fabric covered control surface details are wonderful.
 Have No idea on the ossified opinion of rc though :-).
Been building Free flights since 1960.. started with Comet Kits...progressing quickly into scratch builds as result of those 'kits'
RC was .. (when it finally became small enough , affordable :-) and reliable enough to fit into rubber scale models) a Godsend imo.
IMO  Anything that extends either a mode's flight or lifespan is  to be gratefully embraced
 However RC piloting is a definite skill as well. All too often the cause of destruction in itself.
 IF one was doing RC primarily for the Walter Mitty flying of it.. a wee and laboriously crafted Scale model is not an ideal choice.
Small 'scale' and our Mr Reynolds don't often happily co exist. Although at 1:20 that's not ..that.. small a model
In theory one 'could' fit a wee RC setup  and perhaps: 'not turn it on' for free flight.  Dual function ?
mike j
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »

wow, such a beautiful piece of work. i've had a few that took more than a few years to build Wink
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »

Thanks Mike  Smiley ... I've still not been able to put my finger on the reason why some builds get finished whilst some that you really want to finish, do not!

In theory one 'could' fit a wee RC setup  and perhaps: 'not turn it on' for free flight.  Dual function ?
Fred,
I agree, there are at least a couple of modellers that take this route in the UK.
As I have said, I have nothing at all against RC and will probably move to it again for some types of model ... it is just that free flight captures my attention more.
IMO  Anything that extends either a mode's flight or lifespan is  to be gratefully embraced
This is very true, but at the same time the expectation is that the model should survive  .... and so the sense of achievement I get when (if?!) I do get a free flight scale model to perform well is great.
I have captured this once when flying my pietenpol ... you can hear a little 'grunt' of satisfaction as the model circles over my head! This was probably a turning point for me in aeromodelling ... it got me set on free flight scale as my main interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajwfRtEnbbA
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »

OK, so it's time to give you the annual chuckle ... er ... progress report!

Following my recent success with my Sopwith Triplane, I seem to have lost my 'fear of failure' for a while so have dug out the FW190 again ... well, some of the bits anyway.

I got some park flyer wheels that had tyres fairly well in line with the Fw190 at 1:20 scale.
The Fw190 wheels are not that inspiring, but I have started making up some ply disks to represent them. I turned a mm or so off the park flyer rims to accommodate the disks.

In this photo you can also see the 'experimental' hub that I have made for the 3 blade prop ... this will have a 'sacrificial joint' to hopefully cut down on the blade carnage I have experienced with the Bluebottle Typhoon.

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »

I turned the disks in 1/32" ply to start ... and added Vee grooves to represent wheel detail without going to town on them too much.
The 'bolts' are then represented by first drilling holes and then pushing the beveled ends of cocktail sticks until tight and then cutting and sanding to suit.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »

The finished disk gives a good enough representation at 1:20 scale without putting too much work in .... I think if I get the UC sorted, the rest will start to follow. For some reason the UC has been a sticking point for me .... if I adopt a 'near enough is good enough' attitude it might move me along quicker!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »

Very effective Russ.
John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »

Very nice work Russ!  But please note I'm not sure I can wait another year for the other wheel....... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Truly looking forward to more pics as you progress.  This is an exceptional model!!

Don
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »

You know me too well Don  Smiley .... I have already done the bits for the other wheel too, but they are not assembled yet ......

Grateful for the comment Don, but I was again humbled by a visit to Pete Iliffe's house yesterday. I'm happy with my building .... until I see Pete's!

I will disrupt my thread for a while with his latest micro RC model!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

Russ

Keep at it - we are cheering you on!

Is the undercarriage retractable on Pete's model?

Peter
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2014, 04:34:30 PM »

Thanks Peter  Smiley

The UC on Pete's model is a plug-in type .... for display and hopefully indoor flying if the model behaves indoors.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2014, 04:35:20 PM »

..... and I would be happy with a slow hand clap to be honest .... no more than I deserve  Roll Eyes
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »

Just as proof .... here's the pair!
The rear is shown on one wheel.

I have painted these since .... and must admit I made a fairly poor job. Hoping that once they are in place it might just look like 'weathering'

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »

Russ I would like to climb to your "near enough is godd enough" level  Grin Living near Mr Illife must be daunting I suppose.
Now how did you get produce those neat little slots(?) near the rim of the hubs on the back of the wheels?

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »

The wheels are beautiful Russ, and well worth the wait.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The detail is perfect!

Don
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

Thanks both  Smiley

John,
Here's a shot of my 'micro engineering corner' in the workshop.
I use the Proxxon micro-mill to the right .... I thought I might be wasting my money when I bought this, but I have spent many many more hours on it than I ever expected.
It's shown here with the dividing table set on it's side to do the hole drilling of the rims for the spoked wheels I am making.
For the Fw190 wheels the dividing table was set flat and each of the slots make with a 15 deg 'stroke' 
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 05:52:35 PM »

Not for the Fw190 quite obviously, but here is a shot of my current progress with the spoked wheels as I have just mentioned them ... I've almost got them looking like a 'product' now!  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: