Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 09:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HLG Wing Shaping  (Read 9476 times)
jjjlaudenslager

« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »

Thank you Dan,

Now that I've plumbed a little more into the depths of your reply #16, I think I see the substantial answer to my question there. So, sorry I asked. Except I appreciate your expansion on the relationship of circle size, inside wing wash-in and decalage to stall recovery.

Now, on to read Sundance's build of your beautiful HLG Smiley
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »

Hi John,

If you haven't already, do check out the printed articles on hlg trimming and flying in the plans section. I'm betting that some of that stuff will be useful to you.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
probligo

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2009, 12:14:26 AM »

Fascinating read all round. Thanks to all.

Couple of thoughts running through the ol' brain.

Finishes - I use a spray-can matt acrylic varnish (invisible graffitti paint) for the first two coats. Just mist it on, no direct spray or spray from at least 18", when can recommends 12". No sanding or rubbing. Then one coat of 25% dope applied with a rag. A quick flick off with 800 w/d to remove the fuzz and done. If you don't think that the acrylic has worked, wait and see how much of the dope gets soaked into the wood. BTW I apply the finish before cutting dihedral breaks so that I can pin the wing into a jig to dry with all of the warps in the right places.

On the wash-in and wash-out shaping, I have never worried about the former (consider the washed-in panel as the I0 default) but the latter is always sanded into the relevant panel. Always step 1 in the wings I build.

I must dig out the F1A wing (nurflugel) from the garage and photo it. This one did not work (I have flown two others in comps with about a 50% max rate) but it gives an idea of what is possible using the (simple) techniques that have been outlined for chucky wings. Due for a newbuild during this winter, so if that happens I'll consider putting up a build thread.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »

After reading all the trimming considerations in this entire thread I wonder how any of my gliders fly at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: