Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 08, 2020, 02:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Baby Phoenix and other 1/2A size nostalgia models  (Read 772 times)
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »

I'm thinking of building a Baby Phoenix (by Frank Ehling, kitted by Jasco), I'm wondering if a 35" span model is safe on an 0.49?. For mini vintage in the UK it would have to be a diesel (PAW 80). Is a TD the same sort of power? I'm open to suggestions as to any other good models that were published or kitted before Jan '51. They can't be scaled up or down. Any suggestions?

Adam
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »

Hi Adam

Keep your TD 049 for 1/2A power (mini Night Train or Mini Weaver) unless you like uncontrolled missiles for mini-vintage. I would suggest a 0.55 PAW or a PAW80 as being more appropriate powerwise. Other choices would be an Allbon Dart or a DC Merlin.

I believe the best model for mini vintage would be the 8 Ball published in Aeromodeller or you may want to consider the Dizzy Diesel (1948 Xmas Aeromodeller) which I built and uses a PAW 100 (1cc).
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Baby Phoenix and other 1/2A size nostalgia models

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »

Adam, I have a 1/2A Zeek with a Cox Baby Bee 049 on it and it's a real flyer, lots of fun(pic. attached). A baby Playboy would be another plane that would meet your needs also. Some others might be, 1/2A Kiwi, 1/2A Fubar, etc.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Baby Phoenix and other 1/2A size nostalgia models
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »

Jasco Streak.
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:17:32 AM »

Oops Embarrassed the Aeromodeller design the "8 Ball" I suggested should read "Hi-Ball".

Listen guys, from memory UK Mini Vintage rules limit the wing span to 36" max so some of the American designs mention may not qualify AND scaling is prohibited, keep that in mind.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »

Ployd, all the planes I mentioned have wing spans of 36" or under. I.E. the 1/2A Zeek is 33".

Scott
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:29:44 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I don't think there is any limitation on wingspan, but the model cannot be scaled up or down. That's part of the reason I was asking the question in the first place, I don't know what sort of size model is needed to be flown ok by a PAW 80, the smaller models may be over powered. The cut off date is Jan '51 for vintage in uk.

I have to track down an engine before I start building anything. It'll probably be a winter project. There look a couple of nice models on the Argentinian plans website Volar libremente. I can't remember their names just now.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »

I thought Mini-Vintage (in the UK) was restricted to below 0.049 - i.e. PAW 55.

The PAW 80 is actually quite powerful - it's no TD 0.049, but it might be a bit much for some of these smaller designs. I had one in a scaled down Gastove and used it in Slow Open many years ago. It was a bit smaller than a typical 1/2A (e.g. 1/2A Train, Mini Weaver) but not much - about 225 sq.ins. Anyway, it had quite a sporty climb, and on 12 seconds it got easily high enough for 3 minutes plus.
John

Gliders are a part of me.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »

My thoughts too, about the 80.

The range of small Phoenix's were designed around engines such as the Atwood Wasp - great little engines for their time but ... time moves on. I have a feeling that a Baby would not only be hard to trim but I suspect the sparless wings wouldn't take the strain.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 02:52:45 AM »

Adam

The MV models I've watched and timed are the Le Timide, and Top Banana (36" version). The Top Banana goes up very well on a PAW 55 and the 80 would be an overkill (as is using a dieselised TD 049 Grin). The Helides was popular (Hippo flew one with a Merlin) and I've seen a Slicker, flown by one of the Rushbys I think.

Good luck with your investigations, as it would be nice to see some more power models in MV. In the meantime, I'll stick with rubber & electrickery!

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: