Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 12:43:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New 12 in catapult _ Scrappy  (Read 227 times)
stuntguy13
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2020, 10:54:36 AM »

Finishing up a new 12" catapult glider I call "Scrappy". Its made of stuff from my scrap box. Chopstick for the fuse nose,  kabob squire tail boom (these are bamboo), cell-foam wing and tail with 3/32" by 3/4" balsa wing leading edge. This is the second one of this design. Changes on this one are the 3/4" wide leading edge to give some airfoil shape, sanded and shaped wing panels to airfoil. It has 1 1/2" dihedral on each tip. Total fuse length is 17", comes in around 11.5 gm. The original transitions from almost any launch angle. I need to get some better rubber as I only get about 60' -70' with the tan 1/4" I'm using. These little cats are lots of fun, tend to forget how long you are out there, need to remember to use sun screen.

Best,   DennisT
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
New 12 in catapult _ Scrappy
stuntguy13
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 08:21:04 PM »

Finish assembly of Scrappy today, raw weight came in at 12gm with tape on the leading edge and CA on the fuse. Final weight once balanced is 14.6gm. Last thing will be a few stripes of Orange on the tips. This arrangement with the wing up on a little pylon gives a second area to hold the ship for launch. The calc sheet indicates I should be able to get over 110 ft height on launch. I had been using a tail pull tab (sub rudder) which would get about a 2 1/2' pull and 60' height. Doing some searches I see that I could get 40-50% stretch with a side style launch. This my take a bit of trial and error to get a feel for it. Any hits how to set up for this style launch?

Best,    DennisT
Re: New 12 in catapult _ Scrappy
stuntguy13
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »

I received the Liquitex spray can acrylic and applied it to Scrappy, goes on wood and foam nicely. I did spray it outside, as the spray nozzle has a fairly wide pattern, then brought it right into the house and there is no odor. My wife is very sensitive to dope/thinner, I did five ships and she did not notice anything.

Best,     DennisT
Re: New 12 in catapult _ Scrappy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: