Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 21, 2019, 04:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CATAJETS: Design and Development  (Read 60825 times)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: May 10, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »

OK, you guys are just having WAY too much fun without me, so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring and try my first Catajet.

As the XB-70 has always been one of my favorite airplanes, this is as good as place to start as any.

I had already done a laser kit (offered by Bob Holman Plans) for the Competition Models B-70, I simply scaled the CAD down 50% to get a B-70 with a 10.375 inch wing span. There are a couple modifications, one being the rudders now have tabs that fit into slots in the wing, and the curvature of the bottom of the rudder follows the curvature of the wing.

A couple pictures are shown of the airplane before paint. I'm going to give it a light coat of white.

This being my first Catajet, I am not sure where to place the rubber hook, but I was thinking a little forward is best so that the airplane does not pitch up at launch. I put the paper-clip hook under the canard. It's epoxied with fiberglass reinforcement, so I'm hoping it will take the stress.

The airplane, before paint and decals weighs 18.6g. Probably heavy by most standards, but I'm not looking to win any contests, just getting in on the fun!

I'm submitting the 3-sheet drawing to the plans gallery, so if you need a quick project, have at it, and please let me know how yours flies. The uploaded file will also have a decal sheet.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CATAJETS: Design and Development

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 73

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: May 10, 2019, 09:45:21 AM »

Very cool - I'll be looking for that plan to hit the gallery.  I was quite surprised how well the delta-winged Bill Dean Skyray flew as a jetcat once the reflex was taken out of the trailing edge.  Flyace1946 has one that also flies well.  I built a roughly 6" span XB-70 glider while in school, but it was much too heavy for its size and glided about like the space shuttle.  Yours looks very good, and isn't really all that heavy.  For comparison my 11" span Skyray weighs just short of 19 grams and will do 20-30 seconds if I get the launch right.

Tony, the F-16 flight videos look great - quite a nice glide on that one.

Mike
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: May 10, 2019, 02:17:51 PM »

"There she is, all bridled and saddled..."

Just about ready for first flight.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: May 10, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »

Looks Great. Have fun ok? Make some in flight videos if possible.
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: May 11, 2019, 10:02:35 PM »

That's just perfect Rich and thanks for the plan. Smiley
I really like the finished look. Waterslide decals?

Regarding the F16 development,
I've raised the flaps a small amount.
This in turn has flattened out the glide angle and slightly reduced drag as expected.
A more coordinated turn during climb out, and a smooth transition. Cool

A cool day for flying (55°F/13°C) with a light 3-5 mph breeze.

https://youtu.be/CpHppg13CQ4

T

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:35 AM »

That's just perfect Rich and thanks for the plan. Smiley
I really like the finished look. Waterslide decals?

You are welcome, pleased to share with this community. I have not had a chance to test fly my XB-70 as yet.

I went to my local FEDEX Office store and got the drawing and decal sheet printed on 8 1/2 X 11 clear "sticky back" (label sheet). I then simply peel and stick the parts onto the balsa sheets and cut right through the plastic. The decals are also just cut out and peel and stick.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: