Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2019, 08:02:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CATAJETS: Design and Development  (Read 63790 times)
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: October 01, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »

The tissue is printed gray to blend in correct? (except for the white areas)

Tony, I printed the markings on scrap white Esaki with a faint gray background - once you dope the Esaki it turns almost clear so the background printing didn't really make much difference.  As usual I colored the back of the white areas with a white Prismacolor pencil.

Crabby, the spins make me chuckle every time (even when its an official flight).  That's been the weakness of the F-111s - if you slow them down too much at the top of the launch they'll spin just about every time, makes it tough to come off the launch right into the glide.  I usually lose around 1/4 to 1/3 of the launch height before the model settles into the glide.

Mike
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: October 01, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »

I might add to the discussion that if you fly a jet cat in FAC competition, the curved sheet wing will probably be a disqualification. Dropped leading edge slats and  dropped flaps would be acceptable but a cambered wing (unless the original plane had it) would be a killer in front of the judges. For fun flying, of course, it is a non-issue and the F-16 certainly shows the efficiency of that cambered wing.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: October 01, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »

I might add to the discussion that if you fly a jet cat in FAC competition, the curved sheet wing will probably be a disqualification. Dropped leading edge slats and  dropped flaps would be acceptable but a cambered wing (unless the original plane had it) would be a killer in front of the judges.

Tom, you made me go back and read the rulebook (yes, Air Force types mostly can read).  The prohibition on undercambered airfoils appears in section III for FAC Scale.  I didn't see anything about it in section II (primary rules) or section VIII.4 (jetcat).  Seems like I've seen jetcat plans with arched wing slots - are you sure the undercamber prohibition applies for jetcat?

Look forward to seeing you in two weeks!

Cheers,

Mike
tom arnold
Gold Member

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: October 02, 2019, 12:01:40 AM »

Mike, you make a good point and I will pursue this with the FAC honchos and get back to you on this forum in case there are any more WESTFAC attendees with that question.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: October 02, 2019, 09:03:52 AM »

Asking on the FAC FB group would be the quickest way to get the "official" answer/clarification. A few "honchos" hang out there. There have been similar cases where the rulebook didn't address an issue/question specifically, but "everyone" seemed to say the answer was "understood."

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
mescal1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: October 02, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »

I'd have to agree with Mike.  I'm pretty sure that rubber powered scale doesn't include catjets.  I'd still make sure with Dave M. just to be safe but
I don't see much of an advantage with undercamber in a catapult glider.  Would make it much harder to trim!
Mike
tom arnold
Gold Member

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: October 02, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »

Hello Gents,
I have received word straight from the CINC of the Flying Aces that there is no, repeat no, prohibition on cambered wings for the Jet Cat event. Welcome news and it will be fun to see the battle between the two types of airfoils as they both have their strong and weak points. See you all at WESTFAC!
Tom
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:41 PM »

The FAC needs an English major with a law degree to rewrite the rulebook!  Grin

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: October 05, 2019, 07:08:39 PM »

Hello Gents,
I have received word straight from the CINC of the Flying Aces that there is no, repeat no, prohibition on cambered wings for the Jet Cat event. Welcome news and it will be fun to see the battle between the two types of airfoils as they both have their strong and weak points. See you all at WESTFAC!
Tom
Thanks Tom for the ruling. Sure glad that happened.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: October 12, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »

My latest - a smaller - 8.5" span - F-4.  No room to give it full power around here.  But I'll get it tested in a couple weeks, I think.

https://volareproducts.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/F470percent06.jpg

You can see a few more photos on my Blog: https://volareproducts.com/blog/?p=3910/

--george
CATAJETS: Design and Development

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: October 14, 2019, 12:48:05 AM »

Interesting - it should have a good chance of flying well with the poly on the wings. looks neat.

John
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: