Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 04:29:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any Other Hangar Rat Builders Out There?  (Read 10452 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »

Thanks mike - I'm not a scale type(actually RC glider but tell anyone) but I have been enjoying your dcale efforts as well.
Cheers
John
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 280

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »

I have to admit that I could not force myself to build a ‘Hanger Rat’ because it is too ugly.  To me free flying machines are beautiful, or ought to be.  I know I’m maudlin but at my age I’m entitled to be.  The HR might get by without wheels but with the undercarriage I think I’ve seen more attractive drawings on the back of dunny doors.  Anyway I’m not here to be rude I’m here to help you chaps not to be so embarrassed when you are carrying your HRs around.
A few years ago I made a Hostler ‘Fury’ NoCal.  Pic 1 below.  It has strutted wings, which as all NoCal flyers will tell you is a nuisance which I tried to mitigate as follows.  Pic 2 shews the model’s inside (I suppose you could say) and the struts can be seen attached to the wing panels.  Pic 3 is a much closer view of the struts and also the inside of the root ribs.  If you look closely at the root ribs you will see some reinforcing with a 1/16th hole in the middle.  Close by is another piece of reinforcing which leaves an eighth wide channel which leads to a slit in the wing top covering.  Pic 4 has a wing in place on the fuselage.  The bottom of the vertical struts sit in holes on the side of the fuselage and the small hole in the root rib goes on a piece of 1/16th aluminium tubing at the top of the fuselage.  When the other wing is in place a ‘U’ of eighth wide aluminium slides down the slots at the side of the 1/16 hole and the wings are held firmly in place.  I do realize that some hinging of the struts would also be needed on a HR. Two piece wings are usually much easier to carry around.
Apologies for being honest in my opening!  I guess when an HR is cruising round in its element, twenty feet above the basketball hoops it is as beautiful as any other HR.
John 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Any Other Hangar Rat Builders Out There?

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2016, 05:55:32 PM »

Well after all John - it is a RAT  Smiley They have a certain charisma after a while and are functional but I agree - I could never call them pretty!
That is a nicely detailed solution to your 2 piece strutted wings John on your Hostler Fury. I'm not sure if I would try a 2 piece wing solution on a HR as I am already having trouble with weight. I could see your clip idea working though with small dowel connections at the strut locations. Hmm.
John
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »

Here's a very rough sketch of what quite a few of us do for wing mounts - wing is removable and obviously adjustable for incidence and COG.  If you have to have the struts they just form part of this structure that removes
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »

My solution is to holding the wing onto the fuselage is to have a small peg on the underside of the fuselage that is used to anchor a dental band that is stretched over the wing saddle this give some give in the event of an arrival and allows dismantling for transport. Mu HR weighs about 5.3 gm and normally uses .085" loop. Duration in the 2.10 to 2.30 region. The ribs are 2 moulded lamminations of 1/32 sheet sliced.
      Ricky
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2016, 11:24:50 PM »

Mine is around 4 grams if I recall correctly and is covered with blue Esaki tissue. I flew in a postal contest probably about 10 years ago. I was getting around 3:30 range in a Cat I gym using the 17" loop of rubber rule. I will see if I cna dig up some more info on it. Maybe post a photo or two. I built it with light wood and thin wire landing gear to save weight.   
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

My Rule Beater (read totally illegal) HR has nylon thread flying wires in place of the struts, and a pair of landing wires crossed over the top. The dihedral makes a king post unnecessary, although it would look cute. One of my earlier ones had no struts and there was no control of the wash-in/wash-out. I know that struts add weight and drag, but I wonder if the heavier wing structure that you need instead of them is a good trade-off.

The RB's undercarriage is attached at the prop hanger and sweeps back Wittman style. Eliminates the need for nose weight, while allowing a longer tail moment for faster recovery from a wall or girder hit. I was in a two-plane flyoff against Bill Carney years ago in Sarasota, when my Rat hit a girder at about 25 feet and bounced off into a beautiful tail slide, recovering at about 5 feet. Bill was happily circling around at 15-20 feet and I didn't have enough winds left to climb back up.

a.   

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
adanjo
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Japan Japan

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2016, 01:48:28 PM »

Mine was about 5 grms and the best time was 3:54 at 9 meters and 4:43 at 12.85 meters ceiling gym.
Maybe 10 or so years ago. It must be still in a cardboard box.
Aki
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »

I never had much success with sliced 1/16 ribs and found that laminated ones were easy to make and easier to work with. I used full depth ribs of light 1/32 sheet on a couple of Rats. I think the weight versus a laminated rib of medium stock is a wash, but the full depth has an aerodynamic advantage in that it acts to straighten the airflow across the chord, rather than have it skew out toward the tips, which is counterproductive to lift.

Are there any aerodynamicists out there who can comment on the theory?

a

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »

Art my feelings would be that as the slantwise flow is due to the wing plan form for that span and weight that it will take place in any case and that trying to straighten the flow may cause extra drag.
It doesn't seem to hurt the performance of Jedelsky winged models though so it's a good question.
John
JeffS_NC
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2021, 12:40:19 PM »

Just finished putting together a Hangar Rat, took it outside to do a little trimming and maybe a short flight, and the neighborhood kids saw what I was doing. Now I think I am going to be making a few kits for the kids and let them get started on building them! Always good when you can start the next generation of fliers out on an easy plane like the Rat that is fun and rather quick to build! I made up a template to start slicing wing ribs out, and really took my time with it. I can actually turn this over and cut both left side and right side wing ribs with the same template... LOL! Doing most of the "kit" out of 1/16" because I had some of this just sitting around, and a little bit of work on laminating the motor stick and the leading edge with a little bit of plaining, and I think that other than being on the heavy side, these will be good beginners kits for the kids.
Jeff
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2021, 08:33:15 PM »

Good on you Jeff Smiley

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: