Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 29, 2020, 11:54:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ted Evans Jaguar Wakefield  (Read 9357 times)
algy
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »

Hi Bear,

Good to get the latest report on your Jaguar build together with the excellent photos. We all have our own methods to tackle any building problems that crop up. Whatever works for you is the way to go. For symmetrical airfoil sections I simply build over the plan and pack leading and trailing edges up to height for clearance . Paper tubes, I always wind layers of thin note paper, with lots of white PVA glue to soak in, around a piece of the dowel size you are using. Use "Glad Wrap" or similar around the dowel to stop the paper tube sticking. Leave a few days to dry and harden up then cut to length/fit.

I was reading some 1940s Aeromodellers the other night and according to contest reports and the photos an awful lot of Jaguars were being built and flown following the original model's success in the Wakefield Cup. Great work. Keep the build updates coming.

Cheers

Algy
BEAR
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »

Glad your enjoying the pics I'm going to start the wings soon.

If you cant take a joke dont do free flight.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 242

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 11:41:07 AM »

Bear, I've been lurking and enjoying this very unusual model build. What has my scratching my head are the paper tubes. I'm not sure what their function is. Possibly removable fin? Or maybe I missed an explanation. I know Ramon Alban makes a lot of his model parts removable for easier storage.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2010, 02:56:47 AM »

Bear, I've been lurking and enjoying this very unusual model build. What has my scratching my head are the paper tubes. I'm not sure what their function is. Possibly removable fin? Or maybe I missed an explanation. I know Ramon Alban makes a lot of his model parts removable for easier storage.

Caley
Sorry I've not explained very well. There are 2 dowel mounted vertical in the stab and 2 paper tubes in the vertical fin so it can be re-move
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Ted Evans Jaguar Wakefield

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2010, 09:20:11 AM »

Bear, Thank you for the pics. I thought that was what you were doing. Very nice.

Caley

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 04:01:10 PM »

OK I'm back!!

The wings have been a bit of a b*gger to do Sad the ribs are 1\32 sheet so there's no glue area at the T\E so as i,ve been sanding the T\E to shape I kept knocking the ribs out Roll Eyes ho hum all part of the fun I suppose Shocked any way there's not a lot of pics of the wings going together as its all pretty standard stuff.

The last pic shows the wing mounting thing-amy-bob, its made of 4 lams of 1\32 ply glued in the centre only so the straight arms are loose leafed so they can be packed out with paper to tighten them up if required.

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »

Here's where I'm up to at the mo, all the bits dry fitted together. I've got to get round to bending the under carriage legs cos I'm not too good at wire bending!! I'm going to put the Jag on the back burner for a bit as I've just put a peanut Albetros on the board for indoors. So cheers for now.

BEAR

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »

Bear, That's some very nice bones.

Caley

algy
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »

Hi Bear,
Your almost finished now! Though it is always strange how long those last minute finishing jobs seem to take. Great workmanship, just the wing alone looks to be a work of art. I had forgotten it had all that sheeting on it. Yep piano wire bending can be a challenge. I always have problems with it as well. But for the smaller gauges I now make little wire bending jigs and that makes life a bit easier.

Looking forward to further updates and photos.

Cheers

Algy
BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 01:56:27 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments guys as for the wire bending well it,ll probably end up looking like a dog p*ssin up a post Grin.

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 05:08:55 AM »

Ok so i,ve been a bit quiet of late Lips sealed I've been doing a bit on the Jaguar in between a bit of indoor flying so here's a few up to date picks. I think I may need to do a bit more sanding on the prop, what do you think??

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 09:02:28 AM »

It has certainly come together very nicely.

As for the prop, assuming that your comment wasn't tongue in cheek Wink it depends whether you want it to slice through the air, or beat it to death Grin The vintage freewheelers I've carved, and the instructions I've read suggest about 3/16" blade thickness at the root, tapering to about 1/32" at the tip. The blades need to have a typical airfoil shape with the high point at about 1/3rd of the chord......... but you knew this anyway Cheesy
BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 11:54:30 AM »

lol PeeTee I had to order that lump of wood from Selc model supplys 3ft x 2" x 3" then band saw it down to size. This will be the 3rd or 4th prop I've carved and I've been talked into doing it at a club night as a demo. Shocked

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »

BEAR, That prop looks just fine. Grin Good luck on the show and tell at your club meeting. It should help them a lot. I sure could've used hands on help when I did my first couple, which were to say the least, disasters. Have fun. BTW, that's one nice looking set of bones.

Caley

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 01:03:17 PM »

BEAR, That prop looks just fine. Grin Good luck on the show and tell at your club meeting. It should help them a lot. I sure could've used hands on help when I did my first couple, which were to say the least, disasters. Have fun. BTW, that's one nice looking set of bones.

Ta Cool

algy
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »

Hi Bear,
Good to see you back with the Jaguar thread and the latest photos. All is looking good. Just a thought on large blocks of balsa to carve a prop from. I always laminate my blocks from thinner sheets. 1/2", 1inch or whatever. Have never been able to get hold of bigger blocks to hack my Vintage props from. I use white PVA glue and clamp it all together and leave for a few days to dry out. The only thing to watch out for is make sure the glue used is easily sandable when dry.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Algy
BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2010, 02:13:02 PM »

I've been working on the DT there is no info on the plan so with a bit of help from the article algy emailed me and a bit of GOOGLING I found some pics that helped a little I've come up with the solution in the pics below, I was hoping to put the snuffer tube right at the tail to minimize the mechanics but it got to cluttered.

The 1st 2 pics are of the plan and where I've modded the air frame.The red area is sheeted in and the green bit is cut off. The 2nd 2 are the fuz before and after the mod.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:18:25 PM by Ratz » Logged

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »

The snuffer tube runs through the belly. I don't know what others do with the tube but I like to flare the end so the fuse goes in easy, to do this I use a pair of mini bent long nose pliers, keep them closed put them in the end of the tube, then turn the tube and slowly pull the pliers down slowly too stretch the ali tube (pic 1) and installed in the fuz (pic 2)

Forward anchor point, line guide at the front of the sub rudder (pic3). Line guides at the rear of the fuz 1 wire ring and a piece of PTFE tube right on the end of the fuz.

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »

Tail down.
Tail in the DT'd position.
And the 3rd pic shows the rubber bands that pop the tail up.

I don't know if you can see from the pic but the band is hooked on the dowel that the fin slides on then passed under the fuz and back onto the dowel.

The tail comes up to about 30 - 35 degrees, I'm hoping that's enough.

Looking at the air frame now I'm struggling with wanting to cover it as it looks so nice if I do say so myself Cool Grin.

So next job is to set about carving the prop, then on to covering. I'm going with tissue over 5grm mylar Black fuz, fin and sub fin, then white wings.

Watch this space folks I'm on the home straight now. Grin Grin

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2010, 10:04:13 PM »

BEAR, You do some great work. An interesting way to do a D/T.

Caley

algy
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 01:52:17 AM »

Hi Bear,
Great to see you are continuing the good work with the Jaguar. I have saved your information on how you set up the D/T. It is always a bit of a puzzle when you look at the small amount of information that is available. You might have solved the long forgotten secret!!!

Have been reading through quite a few 1940 Aeromodellers just acquired via ebay and the model pops up quite often in various contests and seems to always do well. Will post any further information on the D/T if I find it.

Cheers

Algy
BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2010, 04:19:22 AM »

Thanks for the kind words the Jaguar is looking great. I'm off to carve my prop now. Shocked

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »

PROP CARVING PART ONE

Ok so I'm no expert on prop carving so this will hopefully show you how straight forward it is.

1st get your prop block cut nice and squire and to the right size.

Now mark 2 centre lines 1 down the length and 1 across the width. Mark these lines right round the block.

Next and most important.
DRILL THE HOLES!!

Now mark the blank out carefully and accurately (pic 1 + 2 they aren't the Jaguar prop) this will insure you end up with a prop that works.

I like to have a plastic prop at hand as a reference (it's as easy to carve a pusher as as tractor!! and no I haven't!)
Take a Black marker pen mark the L\E and mark a black line round the edge of the prop both sides (pic 3)

NEVER CUT OR SAND THESE LINES

I "Cross Hatch" the areas I'm cutting away so I know where I'm working (pic4)

I use a Snap Knife to do my carving as it has a long flexible blade. Always use a new blade as a blunt\dull blade always takes off more wood than a sharp one and NEVER where you wont it!!

Now chop away, start on the back of the blade, don't be shy but stay away from the Black lines round the edge, you want to work down to these lines from the centre-corner where the most waste is.

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

BEAR, I have cut a pusher prop. So what you're showing is what I learned to do to HOPEFULLY eliminate my doing so again. All you've said is good advice.

Now for your D/T, I took what you did and made a few changes, but have it essentially the same. Thanks for the how to. It sure helps when the rear end of your model doesn't provide much room for a burner back there.

Caley

BEAR
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »

You will see as you get going that by the way the wood is removed you are already starting to get under camber on the blades.
I like to keep the prop some where near to balanced while I'm carving, it just seems easier to do that than try and get it to balance near the end of carving (pic2). When you feel you have removed as much wood as you can with the knife move on to a round sanding block, I use a 6 inch length x 13\8th plastic drainage waist pipe. Start with course paper as it cuts through any high spots rather than riding over them I start with 80 grit. I use a green marker pen and cross hatch where I'm sanding so I can see where I'm removing wood (see pic). Remember work both blades at the same time and keep it balanced, work slowly down to you Black lines around the edge.Now go down through the sand paper grades 80 grit then 120, 240 and finish with 320.

It's a case of looking at the prop and keeping going until you are happy with how it looks.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: