Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2019, 02:08:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports  (Read 7206 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30" Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT #  7   EARLY AFTERNOON FLIGHTS Tuesday April 16  2019

After Mandrake and Bloodroot glued on the tissue, they installed the lubed and pre-stretched,  12 inch motor of eight strands ( 4 loops ), of  3/32"  rubber.   We wanted to see if there was any difference between  a  3/32"  and a  3/16"  motor of the same combined rubber width.
      We left the apt  at 1:30  PM.    The weather was   50 deg F (26), wind blowing from the SW  at  10 mph gusting to 16,  71% humidity.   There is leaf flush today, and swollen buds, and the grass is green and growing.
     We got in 5 flights, surviving one single cartwheel crash on Flight #3.

Pic #1     1974     Walk out to the Cricket Field past the Flower Garden and the Astrolabe
Pic #2     1975     Flying left at the tree line.
Pic #3     1976     Flying
Pic #4     1977     On the ground.   You can see the slight bend in the left  Landing Gear wire on the left ankle.
pic #5     1978     The plane is just above the top of the right seats.
Pic #6     1979     The deep grass has not been cut yet this year.

Flight #1     200 finger winds  =  10 sec     
Flight #2     225                        = 12 sec   flight was long and not enough left turn.    I added a left rudder tab bend, to tighten the circle
Flight #3    240  CARTWHEEL CRASH  -   I had added too much left rudder turn !!     It flew out tight and low to the left, and hit the ground with the left wing, about 3 seconds into the flight.   One complete cartwheel, lands on its legs, and runs out the rest of the prop rubber, while still being held in place by the long grass.   No damage   Grin  -  Whew ...    Tongue Undecided  I blame this completely on a sudden change of wind direction ...    Huh Huh
Flight #4     240                        =  13 sec     half circle
Flight #5     260                        =  12 sec     3/4 circle

Well,  I did not see any real difference   Undecided  from using a 3/16" motor.   Enough experimenting ...  time for the stooge and winder and a big motor.
     We got home at  2:30 PM  50 deg F (46) ,  wind is now blowing from the south 9 mph,  gusting to 14 mph,  71% Humidity.    We had a big lunch, and then headed right back out with the Winding Stooge and Backpack. Little did we know ... ,  the wind was dying down to only  4 mph  ...  and we were about to set a new personal record ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT # 8   LATE AFTERNOON FLIGHTS  Tuesday April 16  2019
9 Flights.

At home we put on the big   19 1/2",  four strand (two loops),  3/16" rubber motor.   Prop hook to rear peg is 13".
     We ate quickly and packed up, and picked up the pace on the walk back out to the Cricket field of Jackson Park,  with good reason -  the weather was now  becoming almost perfect ...  We left at 3:52 PM, and   the temp was 57 deg F (57),   winds were blowing ONLY  4 mph from the South,  gusting to 8 mph,  and only 59 % Humidity.   And no one was on the wide open Cricket Field.   And the grass was green and long and growing  ...

Pic #1     1999     Pic in front of the replica warplanes on pedestals.
Pic #2     1994     Trapper, pack, plane, stooge setup.
Pic #3     1985     BEST PIC  Flight #1    flying into the tree.
Pic #4     1986     Lightly stuck in the tree on Flight #1,  precariously perched on a small branch.
pic #5     1987      Flight #2    Long half circle straight out, not enough left turn.    I added a touch little more left turn on the rudder tab and elevator tabs.
Pic #6     1988    Flight #3     flying just above the end of the Pitch.

Flight #1     600 winds    16  seconds    STUCK IN A TREE  1985  1986  On the first flight,  I wound in 30 handle cranks on my 15:1 Winder,   then I foolishly made the mistake of cranking in another 10,  for 600 stretch winds total.    This flight went beautifully, out in a big circle, but comes around high, back to me and in behind me, and I am running after it to try and grab it before it hit the trees ...   Shocked Shocked    I could only take a pic of it flying into the tree.   Sad   It was well out of reach when it landed, floating into the wind, and perched like a bird on a very thin branch, WELL out of reach.   I had to hike to the other end of the field and found my old stick I used before ... and got it down - a couple of really small tissue tears, solved with a little Scotch clear tape.  What a way to start out ...   Huh Undecided
Flight #2     450 winds  18  sec   Long half circle straight out, not enough left turn.    I added a touch little more left turn on the rudder tab and elevator tabs.
Flight #3     450 winds  15  sec  Launched from the NE.

cont on next Reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT #  8  LATE AFTERNOON FLIGHTS  Tuesday April 16  2019
9 Flights
cont. from prev reply

Pic #1     1989     Flight #4   BEST PIC   Real close pic!   1 1/8 perfect circle real close.
Pic #2     1990     Flight #5     Almost down to a perfect landing.
Pic #3     1991     Flight #6    The flight was really floaty into the wind on the last leg.   Pointing down and coming right at me, it lands at my feet - 28 sec.
Pic #4     1992     Flight #7  BEST PIC    Grey prop wash against the gray skies.   31 sec   1 1/4 perfect circle.
Pic #5     1993     Another view of my setup,  along with that life saver stick!!
Pic #6     1995     Flight #8     31 sec   I had launched this at a higher angle and it went way up for another perfect flight.  Nice pic of the Rearwin coming in to land at my feet.   Smiley

Flight #4     525 winds 24  sec  Pic 1989     BEST PIC    1 1/8 perfect circle, real close pic coming in for a landing.
Flight #5     525 winds  23 sec  Pic 1990     
Flight #6     615 winds  28 sec   Pic 1991
Flight #7     675 winds  31 sec   Pic 1992    BEST PIC
Flight #8     750 winds  31 sec   Pic 1995     31 sec perfect flight -   lands at my feet ...   

cont on next Reply.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2019, 10:34:20 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT #  8   LATE AFTERNOON FLIGHTS  Tuesday April 16  2019
9 Flights
cont. from prev Reply

This is my record setting Flight  #9 of  43 seconds - the previous best from all of last summer was  34 seconds.   Motor was  19 1/2" long of 4 strands of  3/16" rubber, prop hook to rear peg is 13 inches.

Pic #1     1996    Flight #9  43 seconds,  way up high ...
Pic #2     1997    Flight #9   On final with the wind, going past the tree trunk perimeter line ...
Pic #3     1998     Flight #9     This is how it landed on this record flight - one flip after it landed, and having already spit off the prop, and no damage.
Pic #4     2000     The sun is breaking out along with the tree buds.
Pic #5    2001     Blue sky and white clouds and Spring trees of Jackson Park,  Windsor, Ontario, Canada.  A couple of small strips of Scotch tape, holds the prop block on for travel.
Pic #6        WEATHER FORECAST for tomorrow  Sunday April 21 2019

Flight #9     750 winds  43 seconds.   This flight took so long, I got two pics.  This came around the circle very high, after getting a good upward launch downwind, which must have caught part of the bottom of the wind coming over the tree tops, because it climbed even higher.  The down wind leg was nice and high turning into the crosswind, while moving further along and out, and then starting to circle into the wind, suddenly climbing and dropping,  wavering and slowing up and getting bounced around while coming back into the wind, way up high, at or above tree top level,  but still possessing the penetration as it kept spinning into the wind.   I don't think smaller models can do this.  That is why I need larger models for this small field and the ever present strong winds that we have today.   Came in 360 degrees around in behind me high, and went slow downwind very far and high, and eventually ran out the rubber.
     The landing finished out past the tree line,   Huh Undecided  after it straightened out when the rubber ran out - good thing there were no tree trunks in the way   Shocked   .....    So, we decided to quit as it seemed to be getting more windy.

We got home at 5:20 PM,  and the wind had really picked up.  It was now 50 deg F (46),  winds blowing from the North (the wind had shifted from South to North while we were out there flying ...), now blowing from the North at 9 mph, gusting to 14 mph,  and 82% Humidity.
     This is the best time of year right now to fly,  before they cut the grass for the first time.   And the weather forecast looks great for Sunday April 21 2019 and Monday April 22 2019, and for the rest of the week.   We will be there ...  time for the bigger  21"  and  22"  motors, and we'll see if I can keep it out of the trees ...

Happy flying

The End

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:47:35 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: