Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 02:44:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 194007 times)
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #875 on: August 27, 2018, 09:37:24 PM »

Flyguy -

Bravo!

Perfect viewing angle on the camera.

I am glad your Wakefield avoided that soccer goal when it landed.

That goal stresses me out, seems like I always hit it when it's left out, I quickly hit a little left when I saw it looming this time.

Thanks for that Larry. The Wake handled that weight and drag without any problems. it's interesting to see and ear the sounds of flight from the model's point of view. It held height really well for the first part of the flight and it was interesting to see and hear the speed change with the small stalls from the small changes in lift/turbulence. Boy the rubber motor make a racket though Smiley

John

Thanks John, yes I like hearing what was going on, though I was surprised how sensitive the camera is, I had to turn the volume down a bit in the video. There was a broken strand or two before I launched, so that's part of what you hear flailing, and the fold is pretty loud! It still flies nice with the camera, though it does have a little left 'pull', I guess because of the weight and drag of the camera on the left side of the wing. As long as I can still get a max I'll take it!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #876 on: August 28, 2018, 03:29:56 AM »

That was very enjoyable, just got home from work and watched it, made my day! Thanks for sharing!
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #877 on: August 28, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

I'm assuming you have a little rc assist going.  Whatever, it takes guts to fly out of Mid-Town Manhattan.
Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #878 on: August 28, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »

The rubber slap and prop folding sounds are "amplified" due to the hard mounting of the camera to the aircraft structure.
The wind noise reminds me of flying in a sailplane...

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #879 on: August 28, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »

I'm assuming you have a little rc assist going.  Whatever, it takes guts to fly out of Mid-Town Manhattan.

Yes, without the RC the field is too small even for peanuts. And the video shows that the river is really close by!

The rubber slap and prop folding sounds are "amplified" due to the hard mounting of the camera to the aircraft structure.
The wind noise reminds me of flying in a sailplane...

Good point about the hard mounting. And you can hear whenever I turn the rudder, so it's interesting, I didn't think about that part.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: August 29, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »

Absolutely stunning Flyguy. Simple as that.

Stephen.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #881 on: August 29, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »

Quote from: Prosper
+1
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #882 on: August 29, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »

Is that there the Empire State? I don't see a giant gorilla at the top so I guess not. I was wondering if those piers are the South St Sea Port. Something about the cam view of the model's nose - the deep brown tube and the folded (furled?) prop clacking against it, makes me think of tall ships.

Stephen.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #883 on: August 29, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »

Hi Flyguy !  That IS a pretty awesome video.   Could you name a couple of the landmarks ?    That looks like THEE way to do it in a small park - rubber powered ascent, and r/c soaring and gliding down after. (That way you never lose your plane).  Thanks for that interesting video.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #884 on: August 29, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »

Is that there the Empire State? I don't see a giant gorilla at the top so I guess not. I was wondering if those piers are the South St Sea Port. Something about the cam view of the model's nose - the deep brown tube and the folded (furled?) prop clacking against it, makes me think of tall ships.

Stephen.

Yes that's the Empire State Building, gorilla was on a coffee break. After that you can see all the new construction going on in Hudson yards, then piers on the west side, you can see the Intrepid Air and Space Museum at Pier 86 (been meaning to go check out the Lockheed A12).

Hi Flyguy !  That IS a pretty awesome video.   Could you name a couple of the landmarks ?    That looks like THEE way to do it in a small park - rubber powered ascent, and r/c soaring and gliding down after. (That way you never lose your plane).  Thanks for that interesting video.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

There's so much construction going on the skyline has really changed, you can see tons of new high rises under construction both uptown and downtown, and all those tall buildings in Hudson yards are new.

Agreed, I think rubber RC is the way to go for small fields, if I can walk to a field to fly rubber power in midtown Manhattan, than anyone can fly anywhere! I told a friend recently that I actually miss losing a plane once in a while, helps to thin down the herd, never losing a plane is getting to be something of a problem storage-wise at this point!

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #885 on: August 29, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

Quote from: Prosper
+1
Ditto. Made my day!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: August 29, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »

Grin went flying at the club field conditions were a challenger as there was a still breeze and gusts.i got best results flying into the wind

these flew
comet cloudbuster aka guillows flyboy.  very nice results with launch direct into wind.  wings did need 1/4 inch incidence block to fly properly
easy built spitfire 17 inch span
easybilt p40 20 inch famous flyers. this series is nice once you engineer the design properly
guillows 500 zero @21 inch span
starleaf me 109 24 inch   very nice build.

the zero and 109 received minor damage but both were easily fixed

jim Grin

TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #887 on: August 31, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »

Lovely flying weather here today so grabbed an hour's playtime at the aerodrome with the Walthew MKII.  Managed to coax a 27s flight out of it, and even found myself imploring it to come down before it flew into the hawthorn hedge on the field's western edge.  Thankfully it did; about 8' short. Phew!   The wind direction today was a little awkward; across the narrow axis of the field.

Thought I'd lost it on the last but one launch.  It slipped the tow slightly over half way into the launch and looped hard and fast.  I bent the hook back up a bit right smartish for the final flight.  I think I'd rather it hung on the hook now and again than see that behaviour again.  

I only filmed a couple of this afternoon's flights; this one is about 22s.  I know it's not wonderful but my 10 year old self is very happy with the Walthew's performance, even if the only trophy it'll ever take will be the wooden spoon.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: August 31, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »

Good i’nnit? 
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: August 31, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »

Hi Lurker - thanks for the great action video (with those wonderful skies), and flight report (always interesting).  Cool  Sometimes, I also, just need to get out for some playtime, with no pressure for records, and those shorter flights can also provide great studies of glorious runs fighting the wind, recovering, and all of the other nuances of Free Flight.   Smiley    It is also great to get outside in the wide open spaces.
     I see your Walthew can "teeter totter" just like a gliding and recovering Turkey Vulture with its 72" wingspan and large dihedral.

LASTWOODSMAN
 Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: August 31, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »

It's  flying well Lurk - nice floating glide. A slightly lighter rubber may keep it on the line longer or a slight move forward of the hook?
John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: September 01, 2018, 03:10:19 AM »

Quote from: DavidJP
Good i’nnit?  
Playing with "toy" aeroplanes?  Oh yes.

Quote from: LASTWOODSMAN
...some playtime... ...wide open spaces... ..."teeter totter"...
Any time spent aero-modelling is playtime. See my reply to DJP. Smiley

Alas, we don't have much by way of really wide open spaces in the southern regions of this cramped little island. The northern (and far more civilized parts) are better served that way.

As for the wing waggle; it pleased me to see it too.

Quote from: OZPAF
...nice floating glide ...slight move forward of the hook?
Yeah I like the way it hangs in the air too.  The problem with the slipped tow was an over-cooked modification to the hook's angle by bumbling ground crew.  The CFI had words (coffee was not served), the hook was re-adjusted and normal flying resumed. Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #892 on: September 01, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »

Good am Lurk. do you have any inkling why the Walthew fought the hook? I never used a floppy rudder before and am not sure of its virtues, but could this behavior be solved by it? It just seems like the rudder took over as the airspeed increased, and your plane shook its leash like an unruly hound! If you ever get that plane to the top of the tow its going to wave fare-well!

The Threadkiller!
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: September 01, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »

Quote from: Crabby
Good am Lurk. do you have any inkling why the Walthew fought the hook?
Morning Crabby,

Not got the foggiest.  At the moment my guess, and it is no more than a wild guess, is that it was because almost all the launches were into very, very light breezes tending to flat calm and there wasn't enough wind to pull the tow off the hook.  On launches into stiffer breezes separation was clean.  If I'd thought to try it I could have tied on an extra pennant to see if that helped, but I didn't. Never mind.

Quote from: Crabby
If you ever get that plane to the top of the tow its going to wave fare-well!
Well that'd be a result, of sorts, and as the raw materials cost a tenner, if that,  it'd be an excuse to build it again and build it better. Smiley 

I'll have to take it over to Uffington at some point with a longer tow as the Lurker Industries Aerodrome really isn't suitable for high launches nor extended duration flights.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: September 01, 2018, 09:45:46 PM »

Lurker,
I thought the 'Walthew' flights were a pleasure to watch but the bungee was obviously wrong. I did not say anything at the time and OZPAF(john)mentioned, in his usual polite manner, with no hint of admonishment,  that the rubber as perhaps a little strong.  I must confess that I have not flown bungee for a long time but I think 1/16th. square rubber would suit the 'Walthew'.
I don't think a floating rudder would help the tow. My concern would be that the high dihedral may lead to 'Dutch Roll' if the model starts to yaw on tow.
John.

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: September 02, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »

Quote from: Hepcat
...the bungee was obviously wrong. I did not say anything at the time and OZPAF(john)mentioned, in his usual polite manner, with no hint of admonishment,  that the rubber as perhaps a little strong.
Ahh, you should have said.  I can take a lot of advice and, let's face it, I do need it.  It might amuse you (as much as it embarrassed me) to know that ABL picked up on a stab. misalignment this afternoon that I thought I'd dealt with and which when corrected improved the W's flight characteristics noticeably even on the 1/8" bungee.  I will give 1/16" a go, when I can get hold of some, as you and OZPAF suggest.  Glad you enjoyed the flights.

Lurk.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #896 on: September 02, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »

A good day at the  Freeflight Gala at BMFA Buckminster today. Lovely, warm and sunny with a good turn out and some nice varied flying to watch. Wind wasn't very strong but a bit squally and turbulent for complete comfort. Many thanks to the judges and organisers. I put the big yellow Fairchild in Doug Hunt's scale comp. Just my kind of event; flying only and, as it turned out, an all rubber entry. Seven of us I think. The Fairchild wasn't really on song today though. I got a couple of qualifying flights in to start and finish, but its middle two rounds were failures, due (I eventually realised) to the tailplane having warped slightly in the sun. Still, I now know that the new knock-off system I used to attach the wings (after its recent fus. rebuild) works quite well so it came home with no glory but no damage to speak of either.
The scale result was 1. Ivan Taylor (Mustang), 2. Mike Sanderson (Guillows Beaver) 3. Gordon Hannah (not quite sure what model he eventually entered as he was trying out a few today.)

Among the various duration classes John Ashmole was running a cabin precision event, and just for something to do after my scale flights I entered my sturdy Ray Malmstrom Hollandair Libel. One wing was already in a patched up state after another model landed in my open car boot where it was innocently resting. It later sustained another broken wing when it flew into someone else's open boot itself and over the course of the afternnoon  steadily destroyed itself with bad landings and crashes, as Russ will attest. I refused to give up though until it had completed its three rounds and until I'd got something resembling a proper flight out of it. In the end my combined time deviation (from the 40 second targets) was a mere 83 seconds, putting me very comfortably into last place. Chris Strachan won, naturally. The Hollandair is now 90% selloptape and not very pretty, which is good as it'll make me build something new for the next AM/MA designs contest. Thank you, Russ, for timing for me (and sorry that one of its aborted flights had you as a target. Please don't sue.)

A few pics from the scale event attached. Haven't quite mastered my new phone yet, hence the Dali-esque quality of the last shot; no idea how I did it... captions please!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: September 02, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »

Scotty- You can't stop halfway through beaming them up!

Buckminster looks very inviting. What a national site the BMFA now has.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: September 02, 2018, 10:55:20 PM »

That last pic looks like the "Philadelphia Experiment" where the teleportation went awry  ...   Undecided Huh

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: September 03, 2018, 04:02:36 AM »

Just watching was a treat yesterday, Pete.
I was pleased to see how the event was supported by a full cross section of free flighters ... From the sport flyer through to serious duration flyers.

That last photo has me spooked! I can't understand how details like the cap have sheared across and yet the cap sits upon an uninterrupted background! Buckminster has a special atmosphere already I think ... that photo takes it to the surreal.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Up
Print
Jump to: