Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2019, 02:29:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 194038 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 114

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: September 03, 2018, 05:08:53 AM »

I like the way that in his shadow the cap's still on his head and you can clearly see the shadow of the obscured model!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: September 03, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »

Three Went Flying yesterday, informally, casually.

My KK Auster Arrow (ex of the 2016 Indoor Nats KS) is now nicely optimised for outdoor.  A 16" loop (2x peg-hook length) of 1/8" gave 28 secs on 900 turns and 45secs on 1000 (downdraughts on the first flight or more thermally on the second?).  Here's the first, shorter flight with Andy launching: https://photos.app.goo.gl/su6sz8CrVpBxudcK9

Lurk's VMC Hurricane is getting better trimmed each time.  Here's one of the improving flights:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/RBG3sNWcxjc69imb8

Andy was gradually re-trimming his VMC Cessna for a right-hand circuit.  Still on low turns, here's it behaving nicely:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/o5fP5JQLLAptPF1u6

These guys are sensible, cautious types with careful 'engineering-type' minds - whereas I'm considered reckless, foolhardy and dangerous...  Grin

Jon

PS And a real Hurricane flew over!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: September 03, 2018, 08:16:55 AM »

Rather nice and the launch of your Auster was so gentle graceful and smooth - rather like a moment from Swan Lake! 

Thank you Jon.

We have had some wonderful flying weather this year. 
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: September 03, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »

I missed that comp Completely, I hadn't seen Doug for a while as I haven't been at the NMAC meetings for ages.

A few pics from the scale event attached. Haven't quite mastered my new phone yet, hence the Dali-esque quality of the last shot; no idea how I did it... captions please!

Is Buckminster near Scarfolk?

If you google Scarfolk, you will see what I mean, but be warned it is very very dark - In the way that "The League of Gentlemen" is dark...

Andrew

Klunk
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: September 03, 2018, 08:39:53 AM »

Great Videos Jon   Cool  - looks like you three had a great time flying.   And the Hurricane flying with Landing Gear down looks really good in the air too.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: September 03, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
Three Went Flying yesterday, informally, casually.
Oi! Do you mind!? That was my Sunday best clobber! That shirt and those trousers have got decades of use left in them yet. Harumph!

Lurk's VMC Hurricane Hawker F.36/34 Interceptor Monoplane ( Smiley ) is getting better trimmed ...
With, it must be said, a good deal of help from Abl & JP.

These guys are sensible, cautious types...
Having said that at least one of the party was trying to trim a beautiful peanut scale Zero outside!  Bravery, foolhardiness or outright insanity?  You choose.

I managed to get the first half of the Arrow's 45s flight (and it was a joy to watch) before my Box Brownie lost focus as well as another of Abl's Cessna, but Flickr is being an utter pain and timing out when I try and upload them.  Discs have been sent to JP and Abl and I hope either JP or Abl will put the footage somewhere accessible.

...And a real Hurricane flew over!
Not forgetting the Harvard half an hour so earlier.

Dunno about the other blokes, but I had fun.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: September 03, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »

I like the way that in his shadow the cap's still on his head and you can clearly see the shadow of the obscured model!
The result of a dodgy anti-shake / image stabilization algorithm perhaps?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: September 04, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »

Thank you, Russ, for timing for me (and sorry that one of its aborted flights had you as a target. Please don't sue.)

A little too late I'm afraid .... I have hired a couple of the best solicitors, Messrs Chuck and Duck. You will hear from them very soon.
Very tough guys .... I advised them that three sheets of Esaki would be suitable compensation, but they will be pushing for four.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: September 05, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »

Went to our local r/c flying site today, aka the cricket club, in lovely September sunshine.  Flew my new disk, scaled from friend Stewart's Nutball.  Mine is from a 9.25" pizza base, the pizza devoured previously by my grand daughter - I don't like hot cheese.  The Disk, as I call it, is 4mm foam with the dimpled surface to the top.  The small fuselage is from 3mm foam.  The motor gearbox came from Banggood at 5 for $15 including prop and gearbox (5.33 to 1 ratio). A Spektrum 3 channel receiver/servo brick is used with a 1S 160mAh lipo. The prop as supplied needs cutting down to 4" diameter and chord trimmed to 1/2".  It flies at a high angle of attack.  It is very manouverable and tough.  Should be okay to fly indoors.  Stewart managed to catch the model in flight.  Also flew the Veron Fury under r/c.  There may be videos for the Disk and Fury later on.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: September 05, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »

The disk brings back memories of the Arup flying wing.   It too was quite stable.
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: September 06, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »

Further to post 908 above.  Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1VnijvvqIg
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: September 06, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »

Your Disc looks perfect for that area. It is quite stable while still having plenty of control. Thanks for the video Ralph.

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: September 10, 2018, 05:48:24 AM »

Had a lovely time at the 23nd Peterborough Flying Aces yesterday. I briefly considered not going as the wind forecast was 17mph gusting towards 30. It was certainly pretty blustery but still some good flying to be had for the brave or foolhardy. Many thanks to the Peterborough boys for, yet again, running such a fantastic and inclusive celebration of varied freeflight, and thanks to Russ in particular for doing so much timing for me personally.

I didn't start too well, breaking my Eindecker on its first Kit Scale attempt, driven into the ground by the gale. Spent an hour or so repairing it on the field, but then reluctantly chickened out of that event altogether, not wanting to risk more damage to it.
After that, things improved and I got second place in Open Rubber Scale with my Auster Agricola. At Flying Aces the open scale is flown to Masefield rules, so duration and your model's bonuses are what counts. Yesterday there was a 35 sec max and the Agricola, which copes with the wind surprisingly well, maxed out in all three rounds. Definitely a first time for me! Its last flight landed in a low tree at the far side of the field and was returned to me by two excited lads and their dad who'd happened to be passing. They were quite interested in the fact that it was rubber powered and free flight.
Also had some success with my Petrel in the hi-start glider contest, and squeezed in a few flights with my Elf in Rubber Ratio to round off the day.
Opening the boot of my car before to put my stuff in at the end, I was surprised to find it already full of someone else's models! Then Dave Banks said, "Er... that's not your car, it's mine." Oops. At least I didn't try and drive it away though, and to be fair he has got a similarly dented old grey Skoda of the exact same mark as mine!

I'm afraid I didn't have time to take any photos but there are already some snaps on the excellent Peterborough MFC site here: http://www.peterboroughmfc.org/Gallery2018/2018-13-FAces/2018-13-FAces.htm
plus the provisional results as well:  http://www.peterboroughmfc.org/results/2018FlyingAcesRes.htm
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »

I'm really looking forward to the 24rd!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: September 10, 2018, 09:52:18 AM »

..... I will not be pursuing that career in proofreading!  Embarrassed
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: September 10, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »

23nd Peterborough Flying Aces yesterday. I briefly considered not going as the wind forecast was 17mph gusting towards 30.

My thoughts too.. only I chickened out completely  Sad

Great results in windy conditions, congratulations Pete, you obviously have them well trimmed
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:04:54 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: September 10, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »

Had a lovely time at the 23nd Peterborough Flying Aces yesterday.

Cheesy

I think the certificates may well become collectors items like the Inverted Jenny  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: September 10, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »

I think the certificates may well become collectors items like the Inverted Jenny  Grin
Yup! I'll put mine on eBay in a couple of years' time and then retire on the proceeds. Thanks Russ!

(Had to google 'inverted Jenny' btw)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: September 10, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »

Oi .... enough!  Smiley

The pitfalls of cut and paste ... I only edited that line once and cut and pasted it twice more!
As i have said before with the CNC machining i have done ... it’s amazing how quickly you can produce stuff ... but if you don't check it properly, you can turn out a huge pile of cr*p just as quickly  Undecided
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »

Oi .... enough!  Smiley
Sorry Russ- but it has made the certificates a lot more special. If you hadn't owned up though, no one would ever have noticed!  Cheesy

(In fact, even when you told me there was a mistake I only spotted it at the 3nd or 4rd reading.)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: September 10, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »

Oi .... enough!  Smiley

Sorrreee. Just teasin' Smiley
(And thanks again for letting me borrow your phone Russ, you're a star)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: September 11, 2018, 01:50:57 AM »

Something a little larger. Hoellein Hobbies "Inside" F5J 2866mm WS F5J model. I was flying this yesterday on a beautiful day full of thermals at our local Southern Highlands RC Club.
On my second flight an Eagle flew wing tip to wing tip for a thermal turn at a great height and then I slowly edged away. He  would have destroyed this lightly built model.
I was attempting a 10min flight and at around 6min I pushed the nose down with full flaps(butterfly) and full down elevator and it took around 2 mins to get down to around 200'.

Hoellein Hobbies "Inside"  https://www.hoelleinshop.com/Planes-Helicopters-Quadcopters/Planes/Electric-gliders/Hoellein/INSIDE-F5J-low-priced-starter-model-for-F5J-2866mm.htm?shop=hoellein_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=GRU2016&t=49301&c=12327&p=12327

John
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: September 11, 2018, 05:15:58 AM »

I really enjoyed the Flying Aces meeting and it has changed my perception about flying in windy conditions. It is an exercise in patience waiting for the lulls and then launching. It is also accepting that turbulence may upset the model. The Hacker Piper Cub coped very well but was thrown about a lot. The win in CO2 and Electric was a nice surprise. The normal right turn was not as consistent and in one flight a left spiral developed. The
Aerographics Comper Swift manged one qualifying flight for a third in kit scale but on both flights had very firm arrivals that caused minor damage. The need for recovering will give me a chance to tidy the model up. Both the Gasparin motors performed very well.
A great day out with a very good group of people of the Peterborough Club
Ricky
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: September 11, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »

Ricky (DHnut)
which motor did you use in your Hacker Cub?

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50:01 PM »

Peter,
         I used a GM120 and that is a very good fit for a weigh of about 70 grams. Normal fights are around a minute plus.
Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Up
Print
Jump to: