Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 19, 2019, 06:00:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 197931 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: May 17, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »

You've been noticed Richard and they have honoured you with a sculpture(last pic). It looks nice out there.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: May 31, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »

Grin the grandkids are in town for family business guess who gets to babysit? US!

After mandatory play time, we got to outside and fly.  the boys are getting good at it too. they flew their foam gliders and stick planes and then i got out the heavy guns, my army planes. all took shrapnel, i flew the guillows 24 inch FW190, THE  24 inch P51 MUSTANG BY GAR, and comet 24 inch HELLCAT  . it was cute to watch the boys try to grab the planes in the trees, just out of reach. so i showed them the art of stick!.  one  is staying with us overnite too so that should be fun

the boys told me about a you tube site called FLITETEST. CHECK IT OUT.

JIM Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: May 31, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »

Sounds great Jim. How old are the kids now?

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: June 01, 2019, 07:42:28 AM »

Grin they'll be 4 and 6 this summer
jim

ps they want to build so they want kits for their birthdays
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: June 03, 2019, 04:13:04 AM »

You have started them young Jim! They must be a demolition squad! Smiley

John
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1080 on: June 06, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »

A nice sunny but quite windy day 8 - 12mph at Tatton Park.  Fortunately the wind was from the car-park end and there has always been a fixed bench seat nicely placed to look over the flying area.  This year, the old rather wobbly seat has been replaced with a new seat.  A plaque fitted to it just says J O'D (John O'Donnell).  We think the family paid for it. Drawing on it for inspiration we flew the Vintage Wakefield model class event from there.  Not many of us left but we enjoyed ourselves.  Pictures show the bench with my GH20 model in front, Gerry Ferer flying a legacy MS Lynx and the J O'D plaque.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: June 06, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

Hi Ralph

You had some good weather I think!

I went to Port Meadow on Sunday which apart from drizzly rain from about 2ish, had the chaps chasing after their models. Your bit about John O'Donnell brought back old memories as the first time I met him (20 odd years ago), he was climbing over the fence onto the railway line. It's a bit more difficult nowadays!!

Peter
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: June 06, 2019, 03:13:50 PM »

You had some good weather I think!
Peter

Manchester - it is like the tropics. Grin

John O'Donnell brought back old memories as the first time I met him (20 odd years ago), he was climbing over the fence onto the railway line. It's a bit more difficult nowadays!!
Peter

Been there, done that - then went over the other fence and had a nice glass of beer.

Ralph
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: June 07, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »

How does the GH20 fly?
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: June 07, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »

How does the GH20 fly?

Mike - it flies nicely like a 1940's vintage Wakefield model should fly.  I was flying on less than half turns yesterday (wind and trees!)
It only needed a couple of flights to win.  I have flown it ROG once and it managed (I managed) one 2min 30secs max out of three flights.  The more "modern" US Wakes beat it but it has a nice presence in the air although it is subject to shake rattle and roll a bit.  Probably needs better prop dynamic balancing.  One of the reasons that I built it in 2003 was to see how covering would take to the dihedral breaks between the ribs. It works well with tissue over mylar, in fact better than the dihedral break at a rib.  G.Harris did other similar versions with more polyhedral wing layout.  Good designer in my estimation.
Ralph
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: June 07, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »

Had a sudden "memory flash".  Harris was usually referred to as G W Harris.  His polyhedral version of the GH20 is called Red Rumpus.
It is detailed in "The Model Aeronautical Digest" book from 1944.  Red Rumpus looks as though the only variation from GH20 is the polyhedral wing and a longer span version version that would help if flown in Vintage Rubber contests.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: June 07, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »

And didn't he design the gigantic Goliath FF power model? I saw one at a Model Engineer exhibition off Oxford street in 1971. Ooh, it were big.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: June 07, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »

Nice to see Gerry Ferer in action ... he was one of the first real expert modellers I encountered over 45 years ago in the Leicester MAC.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: June 07, 2019, 04:10:03 PM »

Good afternoon Ralph!
what is the object leaning(?) on the winding tube of the GH20?  I am guessing its the torque meter? I am admiring your winding setup/apparatus.

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: June 07, 2019, 08:03:57 PM »

I noticed the JO'D bench being used to hold gear Smiley I'm sure JO'D would definitely approve of that! It's good to see you fellows out there flying.

John
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: June 08, 2019, 04:25:09 AM »

I asked about GH20 because I built a couple in the 80s/90s, to me it looked as though it should really go, simple structure, long fuselage big single blade prop. However the first one showed some less than desirable characteristics. Diving in from launch, and wallowing all over the sky. On the second one I built I substituted the lifting tail shown with something less pronounced and made a larger fin. Cured the problems but no longer a legal vintage Wakefield. Shame, because I always liked the design. 
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: June 08, 2019, 06:02:56 AM »

The Red Rumpus does indeed fly well and looks nice in the air but there are more competitive 8oz Wake's out there.
Ron
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: June 08, 2019, 07:20:57 AM »

The Red Rumpus does indeed fly well and looks nice in the air but there are more competitive 8oz Wake's out there.
Ron

Like wot I said
                          The more "modern" US Wakes beat it but it has a nice presence in the air
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1093 on: June 08, 2019, 08:31:12 AM »

what is the object leaning(?) on the winding tube of the GH20?  I am guessing its the torque meter? I am admiring your winding setup/apparatus.

Hi Crabby -  the "object" is just a 1/2" wooden dowel with hooks at each end used to wind the motor and then help extract the blast tube. The torque meter is the silvery item on the ground near the winder - didn't really need the torque meter as I was only putting on half turns.

The winding stooge came about because we cannot take cars onto the flying area so it helps if everything can be carried out in as few trips as possible.  It was made out of aluminium extrusions from a DIY chain.  It folds and has a plug-in leg so that it can be used low down if windy or raised on good days. When folded it fits into my field tool box so I don't forget it.  The holes in the channel sections serve no purpose except that I think that it improves the appearance. Smiley  I have 3 wooden model holders that fix to the stooge to take different sizes of models.   
Ralph
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: June 08, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »

I noticed the JO'D bench being used to hold gear Smiley I'm sure JO'D would definitely approve of that! It's good to see you fellows out there flying.

It would be nice if the wind blew from "the seat" everytime.  Dog walkers don't get a look-in if we are flying from there.

I can imagine JO'D shouting advice when models are not performing.  It was a nice thought to provide the seat, pity that most other park users will be baffled by just the initials.  

The seat is much better than a tree planted in memory of another lost soul. I am pretty certain he would have preferred the money went to cutting a tree down instead of planting another hazard. Grin

Ralph
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:14:27 AM by RalphS » Logged
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: June 08, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »

Way back in time Henry Tubbs had a GH20 which consistently outflew most designs aired in Northern Area vintage events.   Or was that due to Henry's expertise?

As an aside   .. Henry built a replica of his 'Red Swan' wakefield but at its first appearance at Topcliffe he was upset to find that it was not eligible for  Vintage.   Instead, he entered Open Rubber and posted  three maximums ..  followed by a winning flyoff time  ..  all  ROG'd from the runway.   Having made his point, we never saw the model again.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: June 08, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »

I am pretty certain he would have preferred the money went to cutting a tree down instead of planting another hazard. Grin

Ha! I like it.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: June 08, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »

I am pretty certain he would have preferred the money went to cutting a tree down instead of planting another hazard. Grin

Ha! I like it.

Me too!!

Burst out laughing... then saw your post  Grin
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: June 08, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »

KeilKraft grass all'italiana,
perfect for trimming but awful to walk trough. Make three flights and you have to recover for a week.

Still, at 7 o'clock in the morning on the field the world is still in order  Wink

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: June 08, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »

What a beautiful site Urs! You would certainly need a tracker though. It would be easy to lose sight of models in that grass.

John
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: