Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 05:08:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 211643 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1350 on: July 23, 2020, 04:46:44 AM »

That is the on Ralph.  Thank you.  Visited there last year.  Didn’t know the Everton’s. Wink  A surprising number of owners of properties like Tatton had aeroplanes and flew from their estates.  I suppose they could afford it of course had the land and it was fashionable.  But I like the idea of walking out the house getting the ’plane out and zooming off to see a chum or two, landing in his back yard.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1351 on: July 25, 2020, 04:35:32 PM »

Grin  today the wife and i went to the grandkids place to celebrate the boys' joint birthday. they are two years and two weeks apart. talk about timing! did i bring airplanes Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh well duh!

the first thing i packed was ORANGE CRUSH , a 32 inch cabin model. i also paced a lockheed VEGA, a P40, a  Me109, and gliders. i now have to do numerous repairs but a good time was had by all.

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1352 on: August 02, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »

Went flying yesterday and at 11 am I flew the Cloud Tramp. It was the best flight it has ever made. It did fly 20 seconds and then I couldn't find a place to send my results so that is why I am doing this report here on HPA. This is my old and only Cloud Tramp but I have flown it several years when the time was here . I fly in San Antonio, Texas so I was really happy to have calm cool conditions in which to operate. The flight pattern was a nice uniform circle around me. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #1353 on: August 02, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »

Went flying yesterday and at 11 am I flew the Cloud Tramp. It was the best flight it has ever made. It did fly 20 seconds and then I couldn't find a place to send my results so that is why I am doing this report here on HPA. This is my old and only Cloud Tramp but I have flown it several years when the time was here . I fly in San Antonio, Texas so I was really happy to have calm cool conditions in which to operate. The flight pattern was a nice uniform circle around me. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Link to the site over at Endless Lift below. I participated again this year. The Cloud Hobo was flying better, but the breezy conditions made for 2 short flights from me.

http://www.endlesslift.com/the-25th-charles-hampson-grant-memorial-international-mass-launch-of-cloud-tramps-2020/
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1354 on: August 02, 2020, 04:22:47 PM »

We were completely wiped out by a winter storm for MIMLOC Cloud Tramp but intend to fly next weekend.
Ricky
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #1355 on: August 03, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »

Rather a fun hour this evening at The Lurker Industries' Aerodrome trying out the VMC Osprey on my shiny new 45 thou bungee.  Works a treat. Best flight was about 12s-13s, but most were around the 10s mark. 

Flies off the hook as given on the plan or the extra one I stuck in the front.  Get a slightly cleaner drop off the front hook, but I didn't bother tweaking the aft hook.

https://vimeo.com/444330954
https://vimeo.com/444328378

Generally 12 to 13 paces on the line. 
Winds were 5 to 7MPH NW, steady. Falling to 0-1 by the end of the hour.
Kitchen scales say AUW is 24g.

I think there's a strong case for losing the tail skid and rear dowels and gluing the stab. in place.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #1356 on: August 03, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »

20 to 10 years ago I lived on an airpark here in Texas.  It was kinda cool to be going down a street and meeting a plane taxing and you , of course, had to back up and get out of his way.  Made a few flights with a neighbor that had a Beach Barron with turbocharged duke engines.  I can remember sitting in the copilot seat at takeoff and seeing something like 35 gal and hour fuel flow. It would takeoff in about 1200 feet or so.  A real hotrod.  His wife was from eastern Colorado and he needed a single out altitude of something over 10,000 ft as that was the ground elevation at the airport up there.  I think this plane had a 18000 ft single engine out capability.  I did have a few friends fly in to the house for lemonade, they thought it was cool. I had to leave when I retired as the taxes were something like 7K a year. I do miss the almost nightly airshow buy a neighbor and his boy with a 150 hp Pitts.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1357 on: August 03, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »

Great story Steve - it must have been fun. I have a friend about 25mins away who has his home built Sonex at a local airport. I enjoy teh chance to go for a fly with Phil and just hang out on the airfield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8fw-rMcSI Taking off from Mittagong Airport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctVK36ySuU&t=14s   Approaching to land at Mittagong Airport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2KzYlrIToU   Approach and landing.

Nice flights Lurk - that lighter rubber has really helped. I would like to see  you try a longer line on the rubber to start and also hold it more nose up on release. The longer line would enable you to get a much higher release with the same tension, and the more nose up release would avoid that dip right at the beginning.

However it is certainly consistent and you have a fair bit of room in that nice flying area.

John

faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #1358 on: August 03, 2020, 08:36:20 PM »

Another interesting story.  They had a home owners association and they had to approve you for membership.  Most of the rest of the folks were flyers either with the airlines or they used the planes as a work transportation.  I was a modeler, how was I to get past that hurdle?  I told them that when a plane flew over I did not want to be the only one that looked up. When I was looking at the lot that we ended up buying My neighbor up the hill came down, he was an American captain and the one with the Beachcraft Barron discussed above.  We were in the far reaches of the DFW landing pattern, where they dropped the gear and started to lower he flaps, and while we were talking an MD80 flew over and we stopped talking because the noise was high.  It was then that I noticed that we were both looking at the aircraft.  He also said that they were going to let him fly tomorrow, it was in a very happy voice.  Interesting times.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1359 on: August 03, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »

Great memories Steve. I moved to a semi rural area from a home near Mascot Airport a major International Airport. There was so much airliner activity - that the flight of an occasional light aircraft was not noticed.

As it is so much quieter here - I can hear light aircraft approaching from some distance and I now find myself searching the sky to find the aircraft. It helps that they are actually also flying lower in general.

John
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1360 on: August 04, 2020, 01:21:01 AM »

Quote from: OZPAF
Nice flights Lurk - that lighter rubber has really helped. I would like to see  you try a longer line on the rubber to start and also hold it more nose up on release.
I was pleased with them.  Room for improvement, but it was good fun nonetheless.  Nose-up attitude.  Yes.  My excuse is that the filmed launches are always a bit iffy what with trying to juggle the camera, focus it and watch for the wind.  Smiley

> a longer line on the rubber
Discussing it with Abl and he made the same point, but 20m total, give or take the odd yard, is the safest maximum I can use in that field if there's any kind of breeze blowing.  The field's roughly rectangular and the prevailing winds here are generally westerly across the width and straight into the village rather than along the length.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1361 on: August 04, 2020, 05:31:09 AM »

My excuse is that the filmed launches are always a bit iffy what with trying to juggle the camera, focus it and watch for the wind.  Smiley

I can well imagine -
thanks for doing it and posting. All this glider Hi-Start activity is starting to get me enthused about the Aeroflyte Falcon (30"WS) that was to be built about 4 yrs ago!

The video clips in my last post were made with a rustic attachment on the peak or bill of a baseball style cap to take the mount of a Go Pro clone - AEE. It works ok if I angle the camera to catch a fair bit of sky and gives you a chance of catching the model in flight.

Discussing it with Abl and he made the same point, but 20m total, give or take the odd yard, is the safest maximum I can use in that field if there's any kind of breeze blowing.  The field's roughly rectangular and the prevailing winds here are generally westerly across the width and straight into the village rather than along the length.

As I lost a model a couple off days ago in the small park near my house - I can appreciate that. It was dead calm and thus I got my SuperCap powered model and raced across to the park. It was getting late - about 15mins of twilight left as i launched the out of trim mode with too much power, into a series of power stalls which rather unsurprisingly  would not maintain it's turn. It disappeared in front of the tallest tree in the park and I was convinced it had returned to nature. however consequent searches have failed to locate it in any of the trees and thus i feel it has flown through a worm hole into another dimension or more likely someone's back yard.

C'est la Vie as Ned Kelly would have said if he was French Smiley

John

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1362 on: August 04, 2020, 10:08:29 AM »

Wow Lurk!!   Those flights look perfect.   Cool   It looks like that smaller softer,  0.045"  rubber,  is the ticket to get a nice slow,  high start towline flight upwards on the launch,  and it looks like it is hanging longer on the tow hook,  just  past vertical on the tow line,   and then releasing perfectly.   The only rubber I can find locally is  1/16"  0.063"  in loops 7 inches long, so that is 14 inches,  so I would have to cut them and tie a lot of them together.    3/16"  rubber is 0.0469", and a little closer to 0.045",  but none in our Staples store.   
     Well,  anyways, congratulations Lurk on your nice glider flights  Shocked   in Reply # 1355   above.      Now if you could just send your personal Delivery Drone with some 0.045" rubber ....  -  I am just across that pond, and in the middle of five puddles further in ...   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1363 on: August 04, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »

LASTWOODSMAN> Those flights...
A long old way from perfect I'm afraid, but they do show enough promise to make me think that it's going to be worth my while putting the Bird Dog on the back-burner for the moment and spending an hour or so sorting out the weight distribution in the Osprey.

LASTWOODSMAN>  ...Delivery Drone with some 0.045" rubber
Well, if you have been a very good boy this year then I'm sure Father Christmas will oblige.  Although he does rather frown on such noisy new-fangled apparatus.  He still much prefers reindeer as they have very much smaller radar* signature.   Smiley

Lurk.

*I have it on good authority (no names, no pack drill) that he's more than a little peeved about NORAD tracking him every year and he's got the R&D Dept. working very, very hard on a stealth sleigh.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1364 on: August 04, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »

Hi Lurker!!   That is very nice of you.   Smiley    My excited blonde-haired Nordic youth pilot is awaiting patiently ...  In the meantime,  there is cause to address the installation of a new (original size and placement) wire towhook.    I have,  unfortunately,  painted thin CA glue (more than once), onto the bottom of the main skid,  where the wire tow hook hole was,  and it is now as hard as a rock.   Lips sealed Huh

Pic 1     6155

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1365 on: August 04, 2020, 04:36:12 PM »

Quote from: LASTWOODSMAN
...thin CA glue (more than once), onto the bottom of the main skid,  where the wire tow hook hole was,  and it is now as hard as a rock.
Nothing that two minutes with a pin-chuck & a fine drill bit won't fix.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1366 on: August 04, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »

Thanks Lurk -  it worked fine.    Smiley    I will post the progress in my Osprey glider thread.

Pic 6162      New  1/32"  wire Tow Hook is installed.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: