Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 02:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 232080 times)
kkphantom
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1725 on: October 20, 2021, 05:43:12 AM »

I hope my jack Russell never catches a squirrel, you'll all fal out with me!
Gary
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #1726 on: October 20, 2021, 06:07:47 AM »

OK if it is a grey one……….. but seriously unfortunately that is what Jacks do - they are basically ratters by profession and to them a squirrel is a rat.  But in their defence usually the end is very quick - a second or two.  When you have two or three dogs at a hare coursing they frequently “fight” over the hare which is still alive. 

Can’t report on any flying activity as the weather has been foul ……..
Jasco
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1727 on: October 20, 2021, 01:33:32 PM »

I don't know which big beautiful field is dedicated to model airplane activities, but WOW! Shocked

I'm the same age I've always been.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1728 on: October 20, 2021, 07:50:25 PM »

After a lot of poking and wiggling the plane finally returned to earth with nary a new ding.

It looks like you may be starting to get the upper hand with these trees Jasco!

You are allowed a few minor victories here and there Smiley

John
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1729 on: October 21, 2021, 07:15:17 AM »

I don't know which big beautiful field is dedicated to model airplane activities, but WOW! Shocked

Hi Jasco

If you are referring to my screenshot, then please see the attached annotated layout of the whole of the British Model Flying Asscociation's [BMFA's] National Centre at Sewstern, Grantham NG33 5RW.  The site is held Leasehold by the BMFA and is a former Equestrian Centre.

Key To Screenshots

Red Outline - Road access and extent of site.
Black Outline - Camping/Caravanning area.
Blue Outline - Grass control line circles [3?].  These currently have 'cinder' centres - these centres maybe will be concreted in the future?
Blue 'plus sign' - Site of the newly finished 'hard' C/L circle.  The two grass circles shown on the screenshot are now redundant, I think.
Red 'MR' - Main Runways (split into two [three?] separate 'flight areas', I think).
Red 'PITS' - Self-explanatory.

Remembered after I had completed annotating the first screenshot that there is also a tether car circle - this is marked with a  red 'plus sign' on my second attached screenshot.

Hope this helps,

Jez Wilkins  
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1730 on: October 21, 2021, 07:19:13 AM »

Looks like the file size was too large to accept both 'screenshots' in  a single post.  Second 'screenshot' attached to this post. 

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins
Jasco
Silver Member

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1731 on: October 30, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »

I got out to the field last weekend to enjoy some of the last decent flying weather we will have for a while with the Dolphin and Sky Voyager.

I had scratched my head for months because of the strange flight pattern my Sky Voyager demonstrated right out of the box.  My first one flew spectacularly immediately and the new one wouldn't climb and spiraled in to the right when it did.
I couldn't see any warps in the wing, or anywhere else. Oddly, two enormous globs of dried PVC right at the wing joint escaped my attention. They were completely screwing up the wing mounting. Once I took them off with a fingernail file, the plane still needed a little 1/16" shim under the leading edge of the wing to climb, but then it flew as advertised.

I have also experienced the unreliability of the propellor stop and had the nose fall out, but I had some great flights.  Ultimately it ended up in a tree after a spectacular flight that went unrecorded. My first one met it's demise the same way, but this time I had a collapsible pole to poke it down. (undamaged)

I also flew the Dolphin.  Their was no wind to speak of until later and the girl really needs a little help getting in the air, but when it's up there it presents quite a spectacle.  The auto-rudder I cobbled together was an abject failure so I set the rudder with a stick of 1/16" and banked the plane away from the trimmed glide circle. Worked OK, but the air was cold and it was damp. By the time flying conditions started really looking up, all the soccer kids showed up, dragging their SUV-driving parents into the middle of the field. 

Sky Voyager  https://youtu.be/rm2d5vycnKE

Dolphin  https://youtu.be/q3lzXpAKgww

cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1732 on: October 30, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »

Those Dolphin flights take me back 60+ years but mine was towed up with a length cotton and a curtain ring!
Ron

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #1733 on: October 31, 2021, 11:45:52 AM »

Very nice Dolphin flights!  Kinda miffed tho... the vid of the Sky Voyager FORCED me Roll Eyes to order one (I'm a stickler for such goodies...).  Curious to see in what shape it arrives in.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Jasco
Silver Member

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1734 on: November 01, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »

I have bought 3 of those Sky Voyagers.  One lost in a tree, one I'm flying now, one still in the box for mini R/C if I ever get a round Toit. Cheesy

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #1735 on: November 08, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »

Got out to my field today to maiden the BGB Mk2 and hopefully 'prove' the new plan I built it from. Best day wind-wise for a while, if maybe still a bit breezy for a lightly built peanut sized model. It coped quite well though. I did knock a wing off at one point but just cyanoed it back on and continued without any further problems.
Here's a pic and some video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_p0pQggdm8
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1736 on: November 08, 2021, 05:20:05 PM »

Your back garden seems to have grown somewhat!
Ron
Jasco
Silver Member

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1737 on: November 09, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »

Spectacular! So stable in the wind, too.  Nice design and nice job building. Grin

billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #1738 on: November 14, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »

I dropped in at Port Meadow to put in my Classic A1 flights for the Postal with my Aiglet.
I learned so much. I learned that I can't run forwards while looking backwards and jumping over cowpats and evading dogs and that climbing through the car park railings while holding a model is inadvisable. And that I am providing the essential service of propping up the scores!
Bill
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1739 on: November 14, 2021, 05:42:50 PM »

.... yes, I've come close with those railings too. Is it that there is just no public gate, or that we cannot be trusted with a gate because of the livestock?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1740 on: November 14, 2021, 06:08:10 PM »

I learned that I can't run forwards while looking backwards and jumping over cowpats and evading dogs and that climbing through the car park railings while holding a model is inadvisable.
Any video?
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1741 on: November 15, 2021, 02:51:54 AM »

Quote from: Russ Lister
Is it that there is just no public gate...
There is a gate, but it's a two person job when your hands are full of model aircraft so it's about as "safe" as taking the short-cut through the railings.  'Sides  you've got to walk an extra half dozen yards to use the gate. Smiley
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #1742 on: November 15, 2021, 03:49:35 AM »

Quote from: Russ Lister
Is it that there is just no public gate...
There is a gate, but it's a two person job when your hands are full of model aircraft so it's about as "safe" as taking the short-cut through the railings.  'Sides  you've got to walk an extra half dozen yards to use the gate. Smiley
...but that bent bottom rail is so inviting
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1743 on: November 15, 2021, 07:51:52 AM »

I think if you really want to you can walk in along the river and avoid the gate/bent railings dilemma altogeher can't you?
I'm never quite sure if Port Meadow is such a great place to fly despite the 'interesting' access, the river, cowpats, cows and horses... or because of them! (The latter I think.)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1744 on: November 22, 2021, 01:57:30 PM »

Had this one a couple of months now, but got her nicely trimmed out at Hornsea today. Couple of flying shots…
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1745 on: November 22, 2021, 02:04:18 PM »

The undercarriage seems to be retracting like a Spitfire .... the trim looks good, but may need a trip to the groomer's some time soon .....
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #1746 on: November 22, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »

The undercarriage seems to be retracting like a Spitfire

Great climb out too  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1747 on: November 22, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »

I’ve tried her indoors too, where she’ll ROG almost vertically and often without warning. In fact, if she’s wound up even a little bit, she practically hits the ceiling. One more outdoor flying shot with noseweight added. (No discernible difference to the flight pattern.)
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #1748 on: November 22, 2021, 05:29:05 PM »

With the orange noseweight she's much more visible, maybe you can paint the wing tips too  Wink

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #1749 on: December 02, 2021, 10:16:28 PM »

Last Sunday, I went to the Grassy Knoll (Sepulveda Basin) with several models. The weather was beautiful, clear, mid 70's (F) and no wind.  Everything flew and I didn't break anything. 

I dug my Old School, A-frame pusher out of my old models bin the night before and decided to bring it along.  It is a "square A-frame (18"long and 18" span) and is all balsa.  It was originally meant for indoor flying and has a turn pattern built into it by using freewheeling props with one having slightly more pitch than the other.  (Multi-motor rubber ships don't like to turn.) Got a couple of decent flights out of it and a lot of attention.

Video was shot with my Sony Action Cam strapped to the side of my head. 

https://youtu.be/iHm6Py7jCRM

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: