Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 18, 2022, 11:50:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 239918 times)
Jack Plane
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1825 on: May 09, 2022, 02:51:49 AM »

Yes.  Indoor scale has a minimum flight time of 15 secs during which the realism of flight (takeoff, climb, cruise, descent and landing) is judged, so most people don't trouble to go much beyond 20-25secs.  Outdoors is not dissimilar.

The most likely reasons why this evolved is that - unlike the continental US - we live on a tiny rock jutting out into the North Atlantic where flying sites are petite and weather is usually windy... so a two minute flight could well see our models entering foreign airspace!

Backing off turns indoors is a trick one often uses, mainly though in the interests of taming the initial burst just so the model doesn't leap off the ground in too unrealistic a fashion.  Here's a Peanut-sized model in a scale (not duration) competition where I wound a modest but slightly tired motor to 85% then backed off to 80%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKafeRPs-ag&list=PL_8ty4frrq6JX35ZtCXYN7Z3g7txiV51j&index=3&ab_channel=Firenpoyx1
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 67

Ignore
« Reply #1826 on: May 09, 2022, 04:44:07 AM »

I was going to write much the same as Jack Plane but he's went and gone and done it for me. Outdoors too, flying on this dank muddy island is different from flying in continental climes. Usually the sun (uncommon visitor) has to evaporate who knows how many tons of water per sq unit of soil, before it can warm the soil to generate convective activity. And it'll have rained again before that task is complete.

Stephen.
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #1827 on: May 15, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »

Had a great time today with members of the Oxford Model Flying Club standing in a field in the rain  Undecided

We were all taking part in the BMFA 100 World Record attempt for as many model aircraft in the air at the stroke of noon on 15th May 2022.

There were nearly 200 clubs taking part across the country, we managed 16 models. 13 were free flight with mix of HLG gliders, rubber and a couple of IC 'idiots'...of which I was one. Still my CS mini Mills was reliable enough to start and be in the air at 12:00. 3 Rc flyers added to the number

Despite being wet it was good fun and having such a good free flight turnout felt like some kind of weird victory

Pic 1 - Preparing for the countdown to 12:00

Pic 2 - Oxford Model Flying Club holding a collection of damp tissue and soggy balsa (Thanks to Bob Lee for the photo)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #1828 on: May 15, 2022, 02:07:12 PM »

Gentlemen, I salute you.  Mad as a box of frogs the lot of you, but well done all the same.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

Ignore
« Reply #1829 on: May 15, 2022, 02:21:17 PM »

Super effort by Oxford MFC! Well done all.
By contrast, the weather was lovely here today, but the only club I was involved with was my wife's morris dancing team. Our lively tunes ensured she was very likely up in the air (and waving hankies) at about 12:00, but I don't suppose that really counts?
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1830 on: May 15, 2022, 02:49:21 PM »

Mad as a box of frogs the lot of you,

Well it was certainly good weather for frogs ...still not properly dried out

Our lively tunes ensured she was very likely up in the air (and waving hankies)

well the hankies might count ...did they look a bit like aeroplanes.. maybe with suitable aircraft related logo on them?

Viperkite
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1831 on: May 15, 2022, 04:20:55 PM »

My club (Morley) also taking part. All the models are freeflight.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1832 on: May 15, 2022, 04:26:47 PM »

Very nice. Great to see so much of a FF presence.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: