Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 04, 2022, 03:22:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 245214 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 170

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1850 on: June 22, 2022, 06:39:49 AM »

I have a pack of bolts for the GM300 they are M2 Cap Head with 16mm of thread they are A4 Stainless so not as strong as the original hardened steel ones but they work just fine for me and I have been using the red Modella props I got for John Hook too. You need a small Allen Key to tighten them - 1.5mm measured across the flats
If you still need some let me know and I'll pop a few in the post ( I bought a pack of 50 !)
Chris, if you could spare a couple that'd be great, even if I just keep them as spares. I'm bound to lose the one I've got sooner or later. I'll put the red Modela prop back on for now though as there is no prop jumping issue when I run the motor with that one. It's just the bigger, thicker-hubbed orange Chinese prop (as recommended by Dan) that struggles to stay put with the existing bolt. I haven't tried Jon's Loctite idea yet though, so all may yet be well with that too.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Ignore
« Reply #1851 on: June 22, 2022, 11:58:14 AM »

I just use ordinary M2 bolts. Never had any issues.

Cheers,

Dan.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 115

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1852 on: June 27, 2022, 05:11:28 PM »

Got a chance to put my latest build into the air (briefly) this weekend. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jfAaVga-2o

30" Corsair from the Herr kit, finished as Cook Cleland's "Lucky Gallon" 1946 Thompson Trophy contender.  Glides looked good, but on the second powered flight the tall grass flipped the model and cracked the horizontal stab spar.  I repaired it, but by the time I could get back to the airplane the breeze had come up too much for initial trimming.   Next time...

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
High Point
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #1853 on: June 27, 2022, 10:06:16 PM »

Beautiful plane Mike and thanks for the video post, it looks great in the air!

Curtis
Jasco
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1854 on: June 28, 2022, 01:57:54 PM »

Gorgeous airplane.  I never think to do WWII fighters up in race livery. Bad luck on breaking the plane even with all that tall grass.
I look forward to further updates!

I'm the same age I've always been.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1855 on: June 28, 2022, 03:38:12 PM »

Gorgeous airplane.  I never think to do WWII fighters up in race livery. Bad luck on breaking the plane even with all that tall grass.
I look forward to further updates!

Thanks!  I wasn't expecting to break anything in that nice tall grass, but the bottom of the gull wing catches the grass and the model flips over quite violently. The light wood I used on the stab wasn't strong enough to handle the flip. No biggie - I'm going to add a short length of carbon rod along the stab spar to reduce the chances of cracking it again.

Mike
planeJohn
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1856 on: June 28, 2022, 04:01:23 PM »

Enjoying your beautiful Herr Corsair, thanks for sharing video and craftsman build!
Carbon fiber is both strategic and wise, good for you!

John
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #1857 on: July 16, 2022, 01:29:52 PM »

Decisions, decisions.  Stay at home and watch the aeroplanes at RIAT buzz the house in the horribly hot weather or go to Trinity and fly small, quiet, FF rubber powered stuff?  Hah! As if there was any kind of a contest!  

Mixed day for me.  My Chiribiri No. 5 has been "retired".  I may rebuild it with a new fuselage as the flying surfaces are all perfectly fine, I may not. It depends on whether or not something more interesting crops up.  The Nickel DGA was misbehaving - suspect the newly added struts screwed up the trim - and broke a prop. So new airscrew for that for the August meeting.  My no-cal M-10 proved more co-operative. It's never going to break any duration records (only 32s on a 10" loop of 1/16") but it pleases me.  Even got it to ROG*.

*Take-off more a Sparrow leaping into the air than a ground run into flight, but I'm claiming it! Smiley

The M-10 snap is courtesy of Andy Blackburn.

Others had much more fun*.  Warning VIMEO links - some browers are sniffy about Vimeo so try Firefox, Chrome or a.n.other if yours is one of them.  You may also need to copy and paste the links.  The forum sw seems to be reluctant to render them as clickable.

*Ackcherlee I had lots of fun, just not much success. Smiley

Andy Blackburn's British Klemm Eagle. The maiden powered flight   https://vimeo.com/730604961

His OD Dime (10" span and about 10g) of the MK I

I'm sure everyone here will realise that a result like this is to be ranked with the parting of the Red Sea.  Mind you a near perfect powered maiden flight for a rubber powered low-wing monoplane is significantly more likely than England winning the Word Cup at Foot The Ball ever again.

John Scates' OD No-Cal Razorback.  Short snippet of a trimming flight   https://vimeo.com/730605406

I wish I'd got more of this, but what we have got proves JS has a winner on his hands.

John Whatmore's Gas Ghost  https://vimeo.com/730605767

Crikey! The, "Curse of The Camera" *fails* to strike!

Steve Haines' SE5a   https://vimeo.com/730606433

Steve's spent quite a bit of time sorting the trim out on this.

Peter Smart's MK I Hurricane   https://vimeo.com/730606930

Downwind Gillan give the Merlin a thorough going over.

Ian Pearce's Phantom Flash  https://vimeo.com/730607874

In complete contrast to Downwind Gillan's caning of the Merlin this is the aero-modelling equivalent of, "Slow TV".  Pour yourself a cup of tea using your Granny's best bone china, open a packet of posh biscuits, sit back in a comfy chair and relax...

Snaps
 An ex C5
 My 11" span no-cal M-10
 Andy's lovely little Eagle.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 01:47:18 PM by TheLurker » Logged
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1858 on: July 16, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »

Thanks for the report and videos Lurk

Very sorry to hear of the end of the Chiribiri , is it not worth a repair ? It looks like big lumps ??

Andy's new BA Eagle looks like it's going to be a great winning flyer, that was a great maiden...super impressive

John's Razorback looks good too as is John W's Gas Ghost and Steve's SE5a is a cracker . Great flights by all including Pete's Hurricane and Ian's Phantom Flash

Impressive turnout for indoors on almost the hottest in the UK ever, hopefully the aircon was running to keep you all cool.

Looks to me like you had your own indoor RIAT  Grin
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1859 on: July 17, 2022, 02:46:24 AM »

Quote from: Squirrelnet
...end of the Chiribiri , is it not worth a repair ?
Yes, and no.  The ratio of hours aloft to hours in repair is very, very poor and I'm not getting any younger.  The main issue is the UC framework.  The changes I made to reinforce it improved things considerably, but it's still a bit delicate for the trimming phase and it really can't cope with CFIT.  I'm keeping the flying surfaces, nose block and wheels for now and will let my sub-conscious work on it for the next umpteen months.  It may yet be revived.

Quote from: Squirrelnet
Andy's new BA Eagle looks like it's going to be a great winning flyer, that was a great maiden...super impressive
It is.  It's a little gem (no, it's not a lettuce!) and appears to be vice free.  Ask you a favour?  Ian's Phantom Flash video exhausted my weekly Vimeo quota and I've got a couple of the Eagle more or less trimmed out, if I send them to you (WeTransfer) would you mind sticking them on your YouTube channel?

Cheers,
Lurk
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 81

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1860 on: July 17, 2022, 03:05:33 AM »

Great to see some indoor flying going on in the summer months. John's Razorback particularly caught my eye.

It was very calm yesterday evening, so I went 'up green' with the Wittman racer. It's risking a fly away even on a calm evening so I only wound up to about 800 turns ... and I left the slight stall in. Still a way off the 50 second mark for the UK 'max'. I think it is capable of 40 seconds with the current setup, though a ROG is yet to be tried. I don't think I'd ever enter it in competition, but it will be nice to see what it is capable of when the indoor season returns.

https://youtube.com/shorts/nkv720yK2_I?feature=share
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1861 on: July 17, 2022, 07:32:18 AM »

Nice flight Russ. You're right about the flyaway risk. Pat Murray flew his Whitman V peanut at the FAC Nats this weekend and had several thermal flights.  After a near-miraculous  retrieval from the cornfields on Thursday he lost it to a thermal in the final round of the Goodyear mass launch - last seen drifting north more than eight minutes after launch.

Mike
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1862 on: July 17, 2022, 08:21:54 AM »

Nice flight Russ. You're right about the flyaway risk. Pat Murray flew his Whitman V peanut at the FAC Nats this weekend and had several thermal flights.  After a near-miraculous  retrieval from the cornfields on Thursday he lost it to a thermal in the final round of the Goodyear mass launch - last seen drifting north more than eight minutes after launch.

Mike

Thanks Mike Smiley
It is a bit risky, especially in the suburban setting. I have indoor flying in mind so I do have 'keeping it in the box' in mind. The area between the wire fences is similar in size to my usual indoor venue, so in the calm it does give a good idea trimming wise.
I'd liked to have seen that eight minute flight  Smiley
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1863 on: July 17, 2022, 11:48:25 AM »

Ask you a favour?  Ian's Phantom Flash video exhausted my weekly Vimeo quota and I've got a couple of the Eagle more or less trimmed out, if I send them to you (WeTransfer) would you mind sticking them on your YouTube channel?

Of course Lurk send them over . I have a maiden flight of my Tom Thumb II so I'll be uploading at some point anyway
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1864 on: July 17, 2022, 03:20:41 PM »

Here is Andy's excellent OD BA eagle looking very good in flight filmed by Lurk

It's looking very nice.. my only question would be are the use of top notch test pilots allowed under Trinity rules ??

https://youtu.be/INsCfEN_4BA

Jasco
Silver Member

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1865 on: July 18, 2022, 01:59:06 PM »

The field I had been flying in in our local park has been turned into a Frisbee golf course (?!?) and the adjoining soccer fields were turned into parking lots and baseball diamonds.  I was quite disturbed when I realized what was happening on "my" field, but the park department relocated the soccer fields about 1/2 mile down the road and the new location is far superior to the old one.
I dragged the old KK Dolphin out for some launches in a light breeze for the first time.  I think I finally got the hi-start to work the way it's supposed to.

https://youtu.be/Tz9KJgFDnqE

TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1866 on: July 18, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »

Lovely.  I do like FF gliders. Thank you.  
GM
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #1867 on: July 18, 2022, 03:02:07 PM »

Hi Jasco.

Thanks for the well edited and honest video. Your comments made me chuckle. I've had as much fun watching as you must have had flying.

Simple works! Looks good for a fly-away. What height do get on the bungee?
Jasco
Silver Member

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1868 on: July 18, 2022, 04:51:35 PM »

Thanks for the kind words. I consistently forget to check the sound recording, since I keep the sound turned down all the time. I also forget my tendency to swear inappropriately Roll Eyes.  A regrettable, childish habit borne from years of trying to make machines do what they are supposed to in noisy environments and the frustration which ensues forthwith.
 Grin

As far as altitude...I dunno.  I have 100' between the rubber and the monofiliment.  You can see that when the plane came off the hook to the right it was much higher than when it came off to the left. I bet it got close to the full 100' at launch. I don't think it gained much altitude after launch, but there was definitely some thermal activity.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1869 on: July 19, 2022, 09:49:51 PM »

Very nice flights Jasco - the model looks well trimmed and you have certainly come to grips with high start launching.

John
Jasco
Silver Member

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1870 on: July 20, 2022, 08:59:50 AM »

My hi-start epiphany came when someone used the word "kite" in one of the many exchanges dissecting my many failures/sub-par performances documented in other videos. 

Frankly, the old field was too small for this plane and I did not realize it. The ring of trees meant I only went out when there was absolutely no wind.  No problem like that at the new field, so a little wind was acceptable.  And it turned out the breeze was critical to success. Grin

One thing that annoys me is that by the time I get one trimmed and flying my "spiffy new plane" is always replaced with a "not-always-well-repaired" one.

ironchefmpls
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1871 on: July 22, 2022, 10:46:59 PM »

Went out flying some small gliders. Lost a Carbonette 6 and a Stinger 2. This one avoided getting checked it to the boards and held on to the dead air for around 45 seconds.
https://youtu.be/cunZ1-SUlJ4
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1872 on: July 23, 2022, 02:20:32 PM »

Great day today at Port Meadow Oxford with some FF flying mates

The day started with quite gentle air and some great flying with Mick's Cardinal , Glens Simplex, both of their Pete biplanes. I managed some good flights with my Skokie for the Oxford MFC under 25" postal , had some flights with a Pipistrelle Twin, enjoyed flying my new Tom Thumb II with .25cc power and best of all got my bin dodging PZL Wilga to glide...well  sort of but as the day progressed the wind speed increased and we ..er.. ended up in the Trout Inn  Grin

The Wilga is a very tricky one . I ended up with 1/8 washout...not enough  ... On one flight the engine cut at maybe 70' and it entered a full on spin only to rear up just before it hit the ground into a climb and stall with lesser impact... then after more thought I added 1/8"sq gurney strips in board on the wings to stop it tip stalling and one flight was almost OK so it dodges the bin once more. This is one of those models you sort of wish it would just do the decent thing ! It won't so I feel I have to keep going . It's certainly much closer with something that actually looks like a glide

Pic 1 - Fun on the Meadow

Pic 2 - Bill's new F1a full of electronics

Pic 3 - Gentlemen start your engines

Pic 4 - Mick's Cardinal and Glen's Simplex

Pic 5 - Glen's Simplex gets away nicely

Pic 6 - Mick's Veron Cardinal with DC Dart power
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 03:52:21 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1873 on: July 23, 2022, 04:37:02 PM »

Looks a good day  Smiley
Port Meadow looking a bit parched! Too long since I have last been.
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1874 on: July 26, 2022, 04:48:24 PM »

Port Meadow very Parched...

short video of mostly not very successful flights. They all flew great later...curse of the camera

https://youtu.be/g0n788nGAaM
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: