Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2022, 01:02:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 244227 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1875 on: July 26, 2022, 06:47:51 PM »

Very parched indeed- are you sure that's not the Serengeti? That looks like a very good day's flying though. (I see the Wilga still glides as well as ever!)
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #1876 on: July 27, 2022, 03:03:33 AM »

Thanks Pete

(I see the Wilga still glides as well as ever!)

You can't quite see on the clip but after a full on spiral dive it pulled before it hit the ground into a smaller stall and hit the ground with less speed.

I'm at the do or die stage with this one fully expecting to be able to use the engine in something else shortly but to my surprise and after much unconventional trimming ideas I did actually get the bin dodging Wilga to glide Huh.... ( gurney strips on both sides inboard to stop it tip stalling and reduced incidence ) .

I think counterintuitively it was actually stalling as it came off the power and basically entering a spin...all my efforts to try to keep the nose up in the glide were just making it worse and it had a tip stall habit without power despite 1/8 washout. Bizarrely all this disappears when the engines running which made it harder to work out..... having said all that no doubt the next time I try to fly it it won't glide again  Cheesy
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #1877 on: July 27, 2022, 05:04:47 AM »

Quote from: Squirrelnet
...curse of the camera
I have an hypothesis about that.  I reckon for hand-launched models it's pilot that's camera shy and the result is, often, a poorer than usual launch or the launch is delayed/hurrried beyond the ideal point because the pilot is conscious the camera is running.  Nice to see all the same.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1878 on: August 06, 2022, 07:37:35 AM »

Four scale modellers - Pete Fardell  Ivan Taylor Chris Brainwood and I - went to Luffenham to partake in the FF filming for the SMAE 100 years. Misty but flat calm and some good flying. The drone footage should be interesting - like CL combat without wires or streamers!
Assuming this is the finished article, I fear the December drone footage is now on the cutting room floor. That said, I can see why summer sunshine is a much better advert for the BMFA! Also, it's only a three minute film so it's good to see FF Scale is still properly represented, by Ivan Taylor and Andy Hewitt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8DHfpVPxF4
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1879 on: August 06, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »

Was flying as a guest of the OMFC, well Abl, at Port Meadow today.  My Elf behaved itself, the Bird Dog did not (so no change there) and the Ryan M-1 got a couple of brief hops - too gusty even at 7pm for reliable trimming - and no more, but enough to suggest that it'll be OK.

Here's the MIMLOCT https://vimeo.com/737179775

Gary Dickens has a story to tell about his Cloud Tramp, pictured, but it's his story so you'll have to ask him.

I've got a handful of pics that I'll post tomorrow.  

Squirrelnet, I'll bang the snaps and the unchopped video to you via WeTransfer if you want them for the OFMC site

ETA. Gary, let me know your e-mail address via PM and I'll send the pics I took.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 04:49:02 PM by TheLurker » Logged
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1880 on: August 06, 2022, 05:19:03 PM »

Thanks Lurk that would be great , shame I could not make there myself today

DHnut
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1881 on: August 06, 2022, 06:07:21 PM »

After Being blown and rained out for the last 2 years we had a good turn out for MIMLOC with 6 AMAC members flying at Windsor Park on the North Shore of Auckland. There was a lte change of venue due to a rent a crowd demonstration in the cityat our usual site. Great to be participating agaiin.
Ricky
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #1882 on: August 06, 2022, 11:15:34 PM »

I took out my old Cloud Tramp today at the magic time and flew it as expecter. Made three circles at maybe 15 feet of altitude and about 30 feet around, thats not bad for one that is easily 25 plus years old. Really pleased over all.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1883 on: August 07, 2022, 02:34:31 AM »

Some models from yesterday's flying at Port Meadow.  In no particular order.
Andy Blackburn's Pfalz
Bill Dennis' Garter Knight & Les Trumeaux
Bill Dennis' KK Lysander.  Which, contrary to tradition, flew very well.
Bill Dennis' P-30 the name of which I have forgotten.  Sorry Bill.
An Etienvre.  Don't know whose, but you've got to love a rubber powered Dolphin.
Gary Dickens'. What is it Gary?  Brain fade here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 02:45:28 AM by TheLurker » Logged
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1884 on: August 07, 2022, 02:42:34 AM »

Gary Dickens' Cloud Tramp
Mike Stuart's Howard DGA.  Don't know which version, cos that registration belonged to a Ryan Brougham.
Mike Stuart's KK Eaglet doing a fine impression of a Kingfisher in those colours.
Peter Smart setting up his MKI Hurri for a Rhubarb.  Simon in the distance.
Peter Smart's Cessna 150s
Peter Smart's new Rollason Druine Condor
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1885 on: August 07, 2022, 02:44:35 AM »

...and last but not least.  These are all Simon Rogers' models.

Avro 560
Bleriot XXV
De Bischoff Avionette
Lockheed Vega, "Winnie Mae"
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1886 on: August 07, 2022, 03:04:07 AM »

Great pictures Lurk.

Looks like it was a very successful event
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1887 on: August 07, 2022, 03:09:01 AM »

Well *I* had fun.  Smiley

Original snaps on their way, you'll need to crop some of them to get shot of background clutter.
Cheers,
Lurk
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1888 on: August 07, 2022, 04:31:17 AM »

Thanks, Lurk. Lovely models and looks like a really lovely day. Boy that Oxford club knows how to have fun!
Gary Dickens
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #1889 on: August 07, 2022, 06:06:55 AM »

Lurk, my cabin model is a Flying Aces Moth, 1937 design by Herb Spatz and Bill's p30 is the John O'Donnell designed Teacher's Pet.
Gary
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1890 on: August 07, 2022, 06:30:45 AM »

Thanks Gary.  Any day now I'll remember who's Prime Minister.  It is still that charming Mr  Disraeli, isn't it?

And, now we know what it is, one last one.  Gary and his Moth.
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #1891 on: August 07, 2022, 10:31:56 AM »

I flew in the Cloud Tramp MIMLOCT. Managed to find a small field to fly in as my old field is now a construction site.  Angry
I fly a modified Cloud Tramp I call the Cloud Hobo. Videos of my flights. Sorry about the poor video quality. Also a brief video of what my old flying site looks like now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgNYSOhdJ4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgejAhACzGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0l4uAlMVY
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #1892 on: August 07, 2022, 11:38:13 PM »

Mike Stuart's Howard DGA.  Don't know which version, cos that registration belonged to a Ryan Brougham.

The Earl Stahl/Flyline plan for the Howard DGA-8 has the NC5219 reg markings.

If you believe "There is no such thing as a stupid question", you probably don't have a Facebook account
RalphS
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1893 on: August 08, 2022, 07:59:44 AM »

A very still evening prompted me to take the Skyleada Auster for a few flights. This was built some time ago, see
https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22874.0

It hadn't been out of it's box since February 2020 but needed no re-trimming.  If it had been intended for outdoor flying it would have had more power and right/right trim.  However just nice to see it fly again.   https://www.youtube.com/shorts/F8U2Yt00RM8
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 81

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1894 on: August 08, 2022, 08:49:07 AM »

Enjoying seeing others flying at least .... lovely flight, Ralph  Smiley
Thanks for the Port Meadow reporting, Lurk  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1895 on: August 09, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »

That was a very nice flight, Ralph.

I got over to my own field this afternoon for the first time in some weeks.
I’m very perceptive so the first thing I noticed was that somebody had tidied away all of the lovely forgiving long grass and helpfully converted into hard cylindrical obstacles that were now carefully arranged all over the field. It was a bit gusty for flying too, but I’d brought two CO2 models along that I’ve been wanting to get sorted for ages, so I pressed on regardless. The completey untrimmed Bebe duly sustained minor damage on its very first chuck, so I repaired it there and then before deciding to wait for a calmer (and grassier) day for it. I had better luck with the Demoiselle though. Thanks to George Kandylakis it now has a level tail setting which, combined with my realising I’d been previously charging it up with an almost empty gas cylinder, meant I got one quite decent flight today. I would have gone again to get some video, but unfortunately an ominous clanging at the gate end of the field heralded the arrival of a truck, a trailer and a tractor with a gizmo on the front to scoop up the aforementioned hay bales. I suppose I could have said, “Hang on my good fellows, but would you mind waiting until I’ve finished flying my model aeroplane?” but I decided a better course of action was to skulk into the woods at the edge of the field before they even noticed me and come home. The forecast is quite good over the next few days, so I’ll go back when the field’s been emptied. Anyway, here are a couple of pics…
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 01:26:07 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1896 on: August 10, 2022, 01:40:30 PM »

Back with the Demoiselle again this morning. Most of the bales have gone, and there's a nice fully cleared aerodrome area at the rear of the field. Here's a still and a video from today's adventures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQxabDyuD54
calgoddard
Platinum Member

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #1897 on: August 11, 2022, 01:37:11 PM »

I flew my original scratch-built Three Nite P-30 this past Monday at my usual flying site in Washoe Valley, Nevada, USA.  

I have built two more of these easy to build P-30 models from the Volare Products laser-cut short kit. All three of my Three Nite P-30 models have been very good fliers.

I set the viscous timer button too long on the last flight which lasted a little over 4 minutes. The DT finally triggered when the model was still 100-150 feet high. I was able to recover the model after a half mile hike through tall grass with the aid of my LL Electronics RF locator system.  The combination Yagi antenna and receiver of that system is shown in the last picture.

When I removed the 10 x 1/16-inch rubber motor, it had several broken strands.  It had been wound hard twice before this last flight. It makes me wonder - when did these strands break?

Here is a link to video of the flight:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYCtzCpfNI

Unfortunately, since the video was taken with a cell phone camera, for a good portion of the flight, the model is not visible.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 142

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1898 on: August 11, 2022, 02:09:02 PM »

Pete good video. Great drama. I thought at first your pilot did a Harriet Quimby.

The Threadkiller!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #1899 on: August 11, 2022, 02:31:56 PM »

In Mag  Men, was it not a Demoiselle that landed the Frenchman in a haystack?
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: