Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 22, 2019, 06:56:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Piper Cub "1983" Build  (Read 1477 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 11:28:49 PM »

vtdiy, if you go through the trouble of skinning back the covering, then remove the whole bit, replace it with a stiffer section then gusset it. Do the same on the other side. You will be glad you did. That's a common place for s break if you are gonna hand launch! Good luck! No worries!

The Threadkiller!
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »

Thanks Crabby, that makes sense. I did wonder about replacing the whole piece, but thought that would just cause problems where I butted it at both ends. Gusseting solves that. Simple!
vtdiy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »

I finished the Bostonian J3 Piper Cub today. Very happy I did! Thanks to Scigs30 and help for this fine design, and Yak52, Lurker, Crabby, and LastWoodsman for advice and encouragement.

Weight is 15.7 grams with the prop.

Pics:

Piper Cub "1983" Build
Piper Cub "1983" Build
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »

Hi vt.   Your Piper Cub looks really good!   Shocked   I like the look of that yellow color - it looks very soft.   Is there a name for that hue color ?   What is the wingspan again?  Wing loading?  Where do you plan on making test glides?   Good luck.  Looks like you are trying to break the one minute mark of flying time ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:49:18 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
vtdiy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 02:12:43 PM »

Hi LW. it's just Esaki yellow tissue, not doped. Never used it before.  The wingspan (just measured to make sure) is 15-7/8" Bostonian rules say 16" max. And it's just a hair under 3" chord -- also just under the rule. so that gives 48 sq. in.

I don't know the wing loading exactly because I don't know how much rubber it will use, or if any ballast will be needed. I just have the finished airframe weight (post above). Bostonian rules say that 14 grams is the minimum airframe weight, and I'm 1.7 grams over that as-is.

I'm afraid that the only reasonable place to do test glides will be in the gym in the neighboring town, March 30 at the earliest. Unless we get a major thaw, intense drying, and then proper calm weather before that! In which case there's a field full of grass 50 feet from my house. It's just buried under windswept ice covered snow at the moment..........

I sure wouldn't be upset if it flew an indoor minute! My usual problem is that I get 15 seconds and then a day of repair....

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »

Beautiful job  Smiley
vtdiy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »

Thank you freeflightmodeler!
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 10:50:31 PM »

She looks great, hope you have fun flying her.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: