Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 04:13:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bostonian Props  (Read 953 times)
iacobellisthomas

« on: October 04, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

I've built a lifting body Bostonian for competition indoor and out.However I have only used carved props, and for this model I want to make a flaring sheet stock blade. If anyone can help with a planform that would be great. I have Al Backstrum's outline and would like to see others.

Thanks Guys

High Times, Tom
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »

Tom,

I too would like a good Bostonian prop blade shape. My Bostonian is an ancient, non-lifting body, Bean Machine from a MAL kit. Recently I have used four different 8.78-inch diameter Ikara props cut down to the required 6-inch diameter. A little colored marker partly disguises how crude this approach is. Nevertheless, I finally broke 4 minutes officially on one flight this year at the USIC. This type of prop has more blade area behind the spar rather than in front of the spar. I wanted to reverse this, but could not cleanly soften the adhesive to cant the tip of the blade forward on the spar and make a more flaring prop.

If you can tolerate the cruder method of forming blades around a conical form, my spreadsheet for Bucket props can be found in Yahoo groups Indoor_Construction files. This does not answer your question about blade shape.

Fred Rash
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »

Try a Clem prop. Look at post number 56.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: