Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 08, 2019, 10:31:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cutting and applying tissue numbers...  (Read 88 times)
Mustangjbb
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2019, 12:22:04 AM »

Can someone please point me to a tutorial on the best ways to cut N numbers etc from tissue and apply them to and existing model.  I believe I have read before about folks cutting out the numbers and either applying them to the already doped model with very thin dope, or applying glue stick to the number then adding to the model and doping over that.

Thanks for any help you can give.
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:18:11 AM »

I have just been 'involved' with this. My first attempt ever on my peanut scale racer (which has black markings). I laid tissue over the outlines and fixed the edges with tape. Then I used a sharp blade to kind of trace it/cut it at the same time. The resulting insignia were then applied with thin dope. I am quite pleased with the result but I did find it time consuming and a little awkward.

It took me until the last 2 numbers to realise that tracing through black tissue is very much improved if light is shone through it!! So I placed it on a Tupperware lid to cut the last 2 insignia and had a light beneath, that was a great help.

There must be other methods...
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:56:03 AM »

I did write about my way to do the lettering in the following thread: https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=585.150
The topic starts at #159. Hope that helps. There was a very nice article about attaching the letters on a Howard Pete racer, but I cant find it right now. Maybe it was on SFA?

Roman
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »

While this does not apply directly it may be of use.  When you need more than one of something lightly dope together 2 or more sheets of tissue and then cut out as you would for a single set of numbers.  When you have done this drop the letters into a bowl with acetone in it and the letters will release from themselves.  You now will have (I have never done more than 4) a number of the desired sets of numbers.  I used to do this for AMA numbers and it worked well.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: