Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 06:26:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 90443 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1675 on: August 17, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »

Nice flying, Jon .... good to see some indoor flying in the summer  Smiley
Smithy64
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1676 on: August 17, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »

Wow flying that is something in the distant ethers to me  Wink
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1677 on: August 17, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »

That's a neat solution for accurately slotting wing-ribs John, the only thing I'd worry about is breakout or fracturing the ribs as they aren't supported during cutting.

I support the ribs with masking tape (very handy stuff), and with my fingers and this together with pulling the blade gently against the normal direction of cut, helps to ensure no rib breakage.

John
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1678 on: August 17, 2019, 08:36:20 PM »

Lovely flying Andreason Jon. I guess I should finish the one I started in 1978 Smiley Your Halberstadt is no mean performer as well.

Thanks for the vids.

John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1679 on: August 18, 2019, 05:35:51 AM »

Just finished my thin/light wing for Open E20. Pushing on to have this ready for the Peterborough Flying Aces on the 31st  Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1680 on: August 18, 2019, 05:52:29 AM »

Looks great, Jon ... make sure it's ready! (says me!)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1681 on: August 18, 2019, 06:00:38 AM »

Abl's Wittman Tailwind.  Maiden flight (excl. test glides).     https://vimeo.com/354467115

Pretty much the only (barely) usable fragment of video that I got yesterday.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1682 on: August 18, 2019, 06:10:48 AM »

That'll go!  Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1683 on: August 18, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »

This is how I have been conducting my aeromodelling for far too long now .... I'm turning everywhere into some kind of Frankenstein lab with jars of bits on shelves.
I've made wheels, props, spinners, canopies and lots of wing ribs ... but due to space constraints, the airframes are not being built. Since the kids were young I have always kept everything out of the way .... I sat at the dining room table doing stuff for the first time in 30 odd years. Should my wife now worry?!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1684 on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »

Just finished my thin/light wing for Open E20. Pushing on to have this ready for the Peterborough Flying Aces on the 31st  Smiley

Jon,
Are you using a known section or your own?

I did draw up an E20 a few weeks ago ... when I say "I", it does share 99.9% of its DNA with the Ferry 500! The only reason I went my own way is so the ribs are common to my 36" gliders. (see above comments re. Rib stocks!)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1685 on: August 18, 2019, 07:57:15 AM »

Russ,

The airfoil is modified to from an Eggleston catapult airfoil to give a 7% flat bottomed section. It's basically as thin as I dare go for built up wings without giving up too much structural stiffness. The flat bottom ie low camber is to allow it to climb fast. Undercamber might be slightly better in the glide.

Jon

PS: I still have some laser cut ribs if you want to knock out a quick F500 in a fortnight Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1686 on: August 18, 2019, 08:14:23 AM »

Thanks Jon .... and thanks for the kind offer.
I'll be judging the scale flying all day though ... even comfort breaks cause problems with flyers waiting to be judged, so it's agreed that I don't do any flying. It keeps things free and easy for the competitors rather than being called up in rounds ... one of the beauties of the flying aces event  Smiley
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1687 on: August 18, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »

We put a new motor into the  18" Air Camper.  The old one was a two strand 10"  3/16" motor, which got 30 seconds on 900 stretch winds,  and the new one is a two strand  12"  3/16" motor.   Prop hook to rear peg is  6 3/4".    Ready to fly now ... Cheesy
     I then cleaned my building board.  Tongue  
     The Gypsy Moth invasion   Shocked  , of Jackson Park and the trees of my Cricket Field Flying field, is threatening to defoliate   Sad  entire canopies of trees ...

Pic # 2812     Air Camper with new motor (and extraction string),  a couple of emaciated female flightless Gypsy Moths,  and a clean building board.    On the screen is a Black Swallowtail Butterfly Upper Side.

What should I build next?   Huh   Finish up models already started?  Repair broken models?   Post three flight reports?   Start a new CataJet model?    Grin     Or just keep flying my only two flyers?
     The drought and heat wave continues here in the Windsor/Detroit area, for about 8 weeks now.  The ground is hard as a rock now, and the grass is dormant and cut too low, and we need rain for the farmers ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1688 on: August 18, 2019, 02:35:20 PM »

Hi Tony.   Your  level flight, and level nose angle glide, of your big   12"   F16  Catajet,  looks very real   Shocked Shocked ,  so I snipped a few pics from your videos in Reply # 1648  on Page 66,  above  -  really nice coming out of the sun, and the stills really show the shape of the outline of the jet.   I gather that you "formed" ?,   the undercamber of the wing, in order to get more lift at low glide speed.   Is this a kit you are selling or are you selling plans?   I would really like to make one too - you guys have got me going with your Catajets !   Grin

Pic #1     5
Pic #2     2
Pic #3     3
Pic #4     7
Pic #5     6
Pic #6     8

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1689 on: August 18, 2019, 08:13:23 PM »

Hello LASTWOODSMAN.
I think its so cool how you do that.
The flight attitude is fun to watch in the yard no doubt. Smiley

The form is about the wing design yes.
It didn't 100% workout this time but it did help.
As we start to scale up we run into some obvious issues.
Same power available for one, in addition to structural strength issues of the larger span.
Sheet wing flex and warping type stuff.
The 8" can already use the full blow 1/4" max pull.
When humming it can really climb out.
Then it's all about that glide angle. Or catching a wave.

There are some nice things about the 12" version as opposed to the smaller jet.
But the 8" is an all-around better flier, uses half the wood, and
stays a little closer to home base.
The 12" is traveling a long distance, and if it doesn't turn you need a very large field. Shocked Shocked Shocked

To Ron,
I apologize I missed your query. Cry
The scale outline of the 8" and 11" versions in the gallery are the same as this jet.
I'm not sure it's a great choice for a novice (building or flying), but I'm sure he would enjoy it either way.
I hope you ignore what I've written and build it for him (or you  Smiley).
That would be awesome. Grin Smiley Cheesy Grin

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1690 on: August 19, 2019, 07:04:59 PM »

Today?   Airplane wise indirectly ....  phoned a Geneseo motel and booked three nights at end of week in the hope of doing some in-depth trimming and checking of a few airplanes at the airfield.   When my 'local' flying field is 230 road miles distant I only get to fly about 3 - 4 weekends a year.  :-(      Sucks !! :-)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1691 on: August 19, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »

Interesting experiment Jon and a nice looking wing - good luck with it.

Interesting set of samples you have there FF. lots of potential good flying models.

Richard what happened to the glider that you were building?

230 miles Jim - That's a pain. I'm surrounded by large areas of land that is either privately owned or where the local council frowns on flying of FF models. I still do though Smiley but only small stuff.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1692 on: Today at 06:47:59 AM »

Hi Tony.   I'm glad you like the pics.  Smiley  Back to my question about a kit.  I went through the plans gallery, and finally found the plan of your 8" catajet.  It appears that you need  B-C  grain 5 pound and 6 pound balsa  (which I don't have), and I notice that the different sections have to be sanded to the different thicknesses of 50 thou, 40 thou, 30 thou, and 20 thou.   I am still not clear on how you form the undercamber of the wing - do we need to build a form first to to get the curvature of that wing?   I  am also interested in having some fun flying this catajet too, and I would like to buy the kit from you, if possible.  I don't have a printer, and I don't have a Kraft Cutter or laser cutter.  Are these available as kits?     I am not able to print out a plan or scratch build one,  but I am interested in building the kit.   But if a kit is not available, just let me know.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1693 on: Today at 02:06:17 PM »

Hi John.  Plan A  is the F16  CatajetPlan B  is  to finish off the 20"  VMC  OSPREY glider.    "Bones" has been guarding the Sarcophagus,  where the Osprey has been awaiting rebirth in Valhalla.   Grin   There is a thick pile of dust to be cleaned off (vacuumed off ?) of the parts board,  but I think I will now part with tradition, like a fellow modeller just did,  and cover the wings first, before finishing the fuse,  just to keep the interest up.   Shocked    At least Mandrake and Bloodroot took the time to carefully pack away the tissue coverings, in some good makeshift file folder cardboard.    I am curious to see how the artwork holds up on the tissue with water misting and Krylon Clear Gloss rattle can to seal and bring out the color,  ...  , and to see how the tissue shrinks, especially how it shrinks around the inside of the wing dihedral bends ...   Huh

Pic #1     2813     Dusty Board of parts
Pic #2     2815     Files full of inked up tissue.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1694 on: Today at 02:30:51 PM »

Hello LASTSWOODSMAN,
I have sent my email in a PM. Smiley
Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: