Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2020, 06:34:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beatnik  (Read 959 times)
RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »

Does anybody know where I could get hold of a plan or 3 view of Jim Baguley's 'Beatnik' design? Also, when was it published?

Robin

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »

Hi Robin

The Beatnick 3 view was published in SAM Speaks a few years back in a short series called return of the power model or some such. I'll have a rummage and see if I can find it. . . Undecided (I'll email you a scan)

By the by it'd be nice to see one of Jim's old models in the air again Smiley

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »

I have a copy of a full size Beatnik plan - well drawn, but was poorly kept by some previous owner who clumsily joined two sheets with packing tape which didn't come off without some minor damage. It's a little faded but legible, badly creased. It might be 'copyable' but no guarantees.....
RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:10:09 PM »

Thanks, Jim - you mentioned that ancient plan once before when I was asking around about this model. You suggested Derrick Scott's plan collection, but I couldn't see it listed.

Paul - thanks for looking. I hope you find it.

There's a 3-view of his 1960 Open model in a Zaic book with enough detail to build from, but I wanted to check out the Beatnik (Beatnick?) as well.

Robin

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »

Robin, this week I'll first see if some of the creases can be ironed out without distorting the drawing.. if so, I'll then see if copies might be taken from it
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:23:54 PM »

Cheers Jim

I found the article I had in mind Robin, but the copy is a bit small to see details although it'll give you an idea of what she looks like... (The article incidentally was in the SAM yearbook No11) Embarrassed although I did have a happy time wading through the old issues of Speaks ...

Plan was originally published in Model Aircraft June 1960

Roy Tiller at the B'mouth club might be able to assist with the article

Best get off and cook the tea

Paul

RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 08:28:48 AM »

Thanks, guys.
I've managed to locate a source of a plan and the MA article now that, thanks to Paul, I know the issue date.

You can put the iron away, Jim. Smiley

Robin

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »

Robin
Terry Dobson, a friend and fellow member of the Timperley club, built a 'Beatnik' a couple of years ago. I was talking to him tonight and I asked him if he had a plan - he had, but I see from the previous post it is just too late. However I am sure he would be happy to chat on 0161 748 6664 if you were interested in his experiences with the design.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:30:07 AM »

Thank you for your effort on my behalf, John. That could be a useful contact.

There's a 3-view of Jim's '1960 Open Class' model in the 59/61 Zaic book, but I'm told it's not exactly a Beatnik.

(Looks very close, tho').

Robin

RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:59:16 AM »

Thanks to David Lloyd-Jones, I now have a copy of the plan and of the accompanying article from Model Aircraft. (June 1960). The plan contains a lot of useful construction notes. It's designed to be built light - in the article Jim Baguley reckons it should come out at 14 ozs. when powered by a 19 glow motor. He also says it can be built in 20 hours!

The article mentioned his series of articles on power models that had already appeared in Model Aircraft, so I got hold of copies of them. They make fascinating reading as they explain his approach to power model design at the time that the rearward cg / large stab / washin /tail tilt / right-right configuration was becoming popular. He credits George Fuller, Norman Marcus, Tom Smith, Brian Eggleston and the Surbiton power flyers as the 'pioneers' of this type of trim. He cites the Surbiton guys as his main influence, and Beatnik does have the look of a lighter, simplified and smaller (362 sq.in. projected) Dream Weaver.It has similar sections and the same angular setup. (0-0 thrustline, wing +4, stab +2.5).

It's definitely gone on to my "build this when you've eventually finished all the other stuff you've started" list.

Robin

glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »

With 362 sq. in. wing, a .19 glow and only weighing 14 oz. one would imagine that a Beatnik would not be a slow climbing model.

Although I am descended from the Surbiton power flyers (well, one of them), and I remember Jim Baguley well from many many contests at Chobham (just south west of London, England), I do not recall him flying power at all. I'm not saying he didn't, of course, rather that he seemed to get over it fairly quickly! By the mid-60's (as I recall) he was flying glider exclusively.

How's the stuff on the 'other stuff you've started' list coming on then, Robin?

John (not doing much on any list at the moment)

Gliders are a part of me.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »

Hi Robin

Nice to see the possibility of this model appearing - I thought it was a pretty one Smiley

As you know I was a clubmate of Jim for a couple of seasons (and completely in awe of him it must be said) Roll Eyes He was very helpful and charming at all times, although he was a bit of a blur on the field. I remember that his models, whilst adequately built made little concessions to fine finish: Provided it was straight and true that was enough (and clearly it was!) I do not mean this to sound like criticism - He understood that to win the model has to fly well and didn't need to be pretty too (although pretty is nice) Wink

Anyway enough rambling. As you may know (if you've got the club newsletter) Jim was a great recorder of model info... AG (also an ex B'ham member) has a pile of Jim's notes which covered his trimming and comp flights. I'm not sure if the Beatnik is contained therein, but it may be worth a question the next time you see Alan?

Onwards and upwards
Paul

RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »

In the article from June '60 he says that Beatnik was the 6th in a development series. I believe he had another model published called 'Overload'.
By the time I was old enough to get to Chobham competitions in the early 60s he was flying gliders.

John, you'll like this paragraph from the series of articles:
"The Buskell trim is one on its own,being a high rate of roll and a pull out with no loss of height; the detail trimming of Slick Stick is a mystery to me, and I have yet to see anyone else produce the same results with this model."

My work-in-progress list has been work-in-progress for an embarrassingly long time.
1 - a PAW19 SLOP which only needs the wing mount and timer installation doing.
2 - that Lucky Lindy which seems to have been 'nearly ready' for years. Still dithering between fitting OS MAX 19 or OSFP20.
3 - 2nd SLOP with bigger Semislo-type wing for my other PAW. Fus complete, but just starting on the wing.
4 - Dixielander. Built the wing a while back. Nothing else since.

I have no excuses, just a lot of inertia!

Robin

glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »

That's a good list Robin, though I am wondering why the world needs yet another Dixielander Cheesy

I have some sympathy with the late Mr. Baguley - I don't get the Slick Stick trim either. I believe someone in Oz. built one fairly recently and it flew well, but other than my Dad, successful Slick Sticks were few, I think.

My List of part done power models;
1/2A/F1J own-design - needs a fuselage and some fresh enthusiasm.
Mk.2 Semslo - wing and tail done/covered, and fuselage at about 30%
'55 Gastove - parts cut out and fuselage started (the most daunting part of this particular model, I think)
All new F1C - oh dear, I almost wish I'd never (re) started!

I remember Graham Head turning up at Chobham and winning a power contest with a model he had built the previous day! What happened to those days? I just built a 12" HLG and it took me nearly a week!

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: