Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2020, 08:44:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sticky Plastic wrap as covering?  (Read 3066 times)
Donald

« on: November 13, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »

Hi,

I'm new here, and was curious if anyone has tried to use the new sticky plastic wrap. It's light weight, and sticky on one side. I don't know if it will stick to wood, and I'm not sure if it will shrink, but I'm thinking of building a test rectangle and giving it a try. I have no idea how one would color it, or if it is lighter or heavier than tissue? If you know the answer to these questions, please share.

Thanks!
Donald
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »

I don't know what this new sticky plastic wrap is, can you describe it? Maybe there is a weight, length and width given on the package so we can work out the weight per square cm (or inch)?

Wout

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Donald

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »

The official name is Glad Press'n Seal, you buy it at the grocery store. I've been fighting cancer since last Spring, and one of the nurses that put a needle in my port a cath, told us about press'n seal. She said we could use it if the sticky patch they put over the needle to keep it from moving around came loose. It works with Griptex gripping technology, that only is activated when pressure is applied. It says "wrap seals to plastic, paper, metal, wood and many other surfaces. Seals and reseals tightly. For more info go to http://www.glad.com

I wonder if it will shrink, I've got to get some glue tomorrow so I can glue some wood together and give it a try.

Speaking of glue, what do most of you use these days? I was going to get some CA fast and medium. I've been out of model planes since about 2001. Lost interest, I got busy playing Airwarriors on line, my handle was Sojourner if you played, maybe I shot you down or the other way around. Lately the desire to build is coming back. I thought it would be fun to build a small rubber band plane. I've still got all my stuff, I've just been busy painting landscapes, which I still enjoy, but I've adopted an older (she was 8 but now 11) child from Ethiopia, and she wants to learn to fly RC planes. I think it would be fun to build a rubber band plane with her. She enjoyed hand launched gliders when I introduced her to them. She is all about being with people and getting out and doing things. TV is for the evening when it's too dark to be outside.

Thanks!
Donald
Donald

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »

I've got my wing and tail feathers built, and the Glad's Press'n Seal attached. I'm gluing the plane together now. I'll take a photo when it's done and try and post it. Maybe an in flight photo too, if it flies...Smiley I used my balsa stripper and cut some 1/16" square pieces glued some together with Gorilla Glue (GG) and the tail feathers with some 5 year old CA that the cap has split on. Surprisingly the CA glue worked, not fast, but in 10 minutes it had set up enough to be strong enough to put the P'nS on the surfaces. I've gotta get something better than the GG. It's my first time with it, and it poofs up, which isn't what I expected.

Donald
PS: I'm gonna try some thinned Elmers, and try to find some titebond or duco.
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »

I'm not into using CA except for emergency repairs. I like to use UHU Hart, which is an European Duco alternative. I have it in a small glass jar, thinned with about the same volume of acetone. I apply this glue with a bamboo kebab stick. I also use regular wood glue (PVA).

For attaching plastic covering I use diluted contact glue, but I think this sticky wrap doesn't need this.

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Donald

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »

I managed to find the time to have a little fun and made a 6" wingspan glider, not scale by any means. I covered it with the Glad Press'n Seal. You can see in the photo I'm having problems getting it to stick well. The plane does fly but not for long, just a couple of seconds. The wing has a warp to it. I can breath on it and get it out but after a couple of flights it comes back. Still it's kind of cool using P'nS to cover a plane with and see it fly.

Donald
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sticky Plastic wrap as covering?
higgsbason
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »

Hi Donald,

I might be wrong but that Press’n Seal. Looks rather heavy! I also like to build simple stick planes from time to time; it is more fun to see one of them slowly circle up into the sky never to be seen again!

For this you will need to have a slight V angle in the wing to keep it stable, it’s just as important to build it as light as possible! You also really don’t need any fancy coverings to build a good stick glider!

Here is just some alternative coverings to consider: firstly you will need a high gloss spray paint, and a wide but shallow tub filled to the brim with water, if you don’t have one you could use a shallow  cardboard box with a rubbish bag inside to keep it waterproof.

Step1: spray onto the water in a patch which must be slightly larger than the wing.

Step2: run a film of water on the wing frame and place the wet side of the frame directly on the paint, do this before the paint dries completely!

Step3: do not attempt to lift the wing out of the water! You will need to use a sharp razorblade to slice trough the paint around the wing with the blade against the wing frame. Remove the excess paint and lift the wing from the water, allow it to dry in open air.

Note; you will need to gauge for yourself how thick to spray aim to get it as thin as possible… It takes a bit of practice!
It is also rather fragile and care must be taken not to have physical contact with the paint covering.
Another alternative to Press’n Seal is a plastic bag that can be found at most food and grocery stores; it is commonly used where I live to package loose vegetables. I prefer this method because it is very light and is free! It does have quite a few wrinkles but that does not matter as much as weight does! Here is a picture of the plastic.

Happy building and flying!  Smiley Wink Smiley
Mike  
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sticky Plastic wrap as covering?

no time for know it all amatures
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »

Thats another one of your interesting ideas Mickey.
Donald another fairly cheap alternative is to use gift wrap tissue from a  News Agency for covering(I use hallmarks brand). It works fine on simple stick models around 300mm span and can be glued on with glue stick( I recommend UHU brand) also from a News Agency.
i would recommend the Squirrel as a simple easy to build 300mm model - good fun.
Its great to see a young person that keen.
Good luck
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: