Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 18, 2020, 06:24:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vintage Team Racing  (Read 8516 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »

Some pics of Vintage Team Racers I took a couple of weeks ago when I went to the HUNTER region south of here to the annual MUSWELLBROOK weekend.
All types of models are flown, but this time very little FF as it was very windy.

The PLUTO class A racers are mine with a real Oliver in the red one, and a very well tuned and fast CS Ollie in the blue one. Never got to fly them---far too windy, but fired up the engines-----seems I made the most noise. LOL.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Vintage Team Racing
Vintage Team Racing
Vintage Team Racing
Vintage Team Racing
Vintage Team Racing
Vintage Team Racing
GrahamC

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »

Cool, thanks for sharing.

I have always liked the look of the vintage team racers. There is no control line racing let alone sport control line around the area I live but I do dabble from time to time and most of my sport control line fliers tend to have the look of the vintage team racers.

cheers, Graham
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »

Graham,

I have a bit of a collection of 1/2A VTR models in digital form. If you are interested in any let me know & I'll email them to you. Then it's a simple matter to blow them up to actual size.

They would also make pretty good sport models. With a 1.5 diesel you wouldn't need a muffler in most places. You could also use them as trainiers as generally their flying characteristics are just lovely. You would only need to slow it down a bit for beginners.

Regards

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
GrahamC

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the offer. Yes please - [email protected]

I figure if I fly some control line stuff often enough I might just someone else interested in having a go especially if I have simple trainer on hand and can get them flying in short order.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »

Graham,

I've sent the Wharfedale to you but unfortunately my email a/c has just dropped its bundle yet again!!

I'll keep on till I've given you a bunch. Hope I can get them through tonight.

regards

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Mike Taylor

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:08:37 AM »

It might be nice to place these in the 'Builder's Plan Gallery'...
GrahamC

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:20:11 PM »

Graham,

I've sent the Wharfedale to you but unfortunately my email a/c has just dropped its bundle yet again!!

I'll keep on till I've given you a bunch. Hope I can get them through tonight.

hey Greg,

I think I got them all. I have been able to receive email just fine but I think my ISP has upgraded something and now I get an error when I try to send email. I guess I will have to try and sort that out and it looks pretty simple - upgrade my very old email program.

Now that I have all these neat plans I will have to print them out and see which one speaks to me and build at least one.

cheers, Graham
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »

Here are the two old Class B racers I have. They were both built mid 90s of last century when I got a bit keen on it for a while.

The red one is a SORCERER from a 1953 AEROMODELLER magazine and has a replica CS McCoy rear rotor 29 in it. Built to the plan including the wing that comes off.
I have been told these engines are/were not very good, but when I got this one I pulled it all apart to clean it up inside with my Dremel, including raising the exhaust a little, and knocking out 1/2 the vertical posts.....timing was very mild. Washed it out well and ran it in in the model.
Only ever did one race with it in the late '90s that we won.....(just a local CL club event), and it one flicked started on the two heats and the final, and ran hard on a 25% nitro mix. 25% castor and 50% methanol total. From memory 42? laps.
Re: Vintage Team Racing
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:36:04 PM »

The other old Class B racer I have is PRONTO with an OS29 plain bearing in it built in the late 90s.
Pronto was designed in 1956 by a close friend the late Adrian Bellamy.
Dennis Whitely built it and pitted it with Adrian flying it at our 1956/1957 Australian Nationals.... they won hands down and set a new record for the class at the time using an OS29.
I did see Dennis close to 20 years ago when I lived in Melbourne and he still has the original model and engine.
The model has an asymmetric wing as a stunt model does, and when mine was flown it often came in on the lines under take off and landing, hence the extra weight and tab on the right hand wing.
It's never flown 'in anger'. The motor in fact is still very tight.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »

Interesting to see the 'Sorcerer' again. Used to race against Norman's original model back in the 50's, as well as the 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' in Class A ... though that was a different design, not a scaled-down version.

Pete Wright's 'Wrangler' was another good opponent
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 06:37:56 PM »

I've never built or flown a team racer - bar the Mini-Goodyear racers I flew for fun. I have always liked the look and names of these models though.
A friend has lent me 'Aircraft Speed and Vintage Team Racing' by Gordon Rae - great book, full of 3 views.
I have enjoyed looking up some of the great models that you have posted here!

Link for the book if you haven't seen it:
https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=11
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »

Well tell us more please Jim......what were you flying or pitting?

The A Sorcerer is a bit of an ugly IMHO.....have the plan in the old mag. along with Jaberwocky. Both interesting.....but?
I do like Wrangler very much though, but have never had a plan. I saw one 3 or 4 years ago with a Dooling29 in it. Was not flying at the time, and the owner said the plan was in a U.S. magazine.

I can remember reading some years ago about the Gordon Rae book that a lot of the information was very 'one sided'.  Rae from memory got a big serve.
I do like his Riveter though.... but have never seen one... or the book that I would like to take a look at one day.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 02:55:44 PM »

what were you flying or pitting?

Mostly pitting. I built 'A' and 'B' racers for Elfin 2.59 and McCoy.19RR but both were shortlived.

Earliest was pitting for Don Walker (Enfield) - polished black airplane with ST.15 Jubilee - a novelty for diesel-dominated Class A. Did well, fast but lost out on lappage. Checked a couple years ago but he doesn't still have the engine, sadly. Don then turned to 'B' with the first versions of his line of elegant racers that did so well, eventually winning the Nats 'Davies Trophy' in later years and I pitted for those, also for Class A for Rob Dudley - Enfield. This back in days of 3-man teams; dropped out when 2-man became the norm. Racing interfered too much with F/F activities for me.

The Jubilee model was in the early racing days when things were simple. We could walk down the runway at Fairlop, meet another person with a racer, unroll the lines and fly together for a while just for the fun of it .. then move off and find another to do it over with again... Good times, long past.... Sad
whipandflick
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 03:33:21 AM »

I have all the Vintage 1/2A Team Race plans on A3 which I redrew to meet current BMFA / VTRSIG rules. I have email Forum Admin asking where to send these (hard copy) drawings for someone to kindly upload them onto the Plans Gallery.(I notice that some of my drawings are already posted).

I will also include the Phfft, Nike, and several other class A drawings that I have re-drawn.

With regards to Class B, I think that Gordon Rae in his book has more than covered this area of designs

Roger M Reese
perttime
Gold Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »

I have all the Vintage 1/2A Team Race plans on A3 which I redrew to meet current BMFA / VTRSIG rules. ...
---
I will also include the Phfft, Nike, and several other class A drawings that I have re-drawn.
Getting those preserved would be great!

Your plans are on paper only, not made on a computer?

You'd need a scanner that can take the paper size. In a pinch, getting the plan scanned in a couple of parts may do but that means more correcting afterwards, on the computer. If you don't have access to a good scanner, print shops can probably help but they don't do it for free.

You seem to be in UK, so might find helping hands at the Barton MFC forum: http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/portal.php . Their forum has participants all over the world and some of them visit Hip Pocket Aeronautics and other sites that collect plans too.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »

Perttime

Roger Reese is the doyen of VTR - certainly 1/2A in Britain, and his re-dran plans have been published in a number of magazines (well at least Model Flyer from memory). It was the MF plan that caused me to dip my hand into my pocket and buy a CS repro Tiger Cub. Sadly FF pursuits have diverted me from going further, but there may come a time....especially if my ex-Goodyear flying chum gets to talk to me Wink

Peter
perttime
Gold Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »

Roger Reese is the doyen of VTR - certainly 1/2A in Britain, and his re-dran plans have been published in a number of magazines
Ahh, I though Roger Reese might be "a somebody" having produced all those plans. I didn't recognize the name as I'm not really in those circles.

Anyway, I hope that a way to keep those plans alive is worked out. I'm afraid I cannot be much help, except if posting existing PDF files is all that is needed.
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »

Hello, fellow Team Racers!
Mike Lauerman here, Central Valley, California. (USA)
A mate from Down Under introed me to this great site, so much to read and see!

I read this thread, and was pleasantly surprised to learn there are still some B-Team Racer plans to be had.
I have a few, with a couple under way. (my mate Rob from O-Z sent me a much-used plan I had searched for endlessly: The Galaxy.
Other friend John Hollowell sent me one of "The Joker", with the news that it was actually modified from the original Galaxy plan.
London's Tom Jolley helped me with a Merco .29, which will 'authenticate' a Brit design, the 'Double Dice'.

Always looking for other plans, specifically a little-known one, "The Tempest".
Thanks for so many interesting posts & pics, I'll be on here now that I'm retired and building!

Mike in Atwater
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »

Ah yes, real class B Team Racers.    Be very afraid of Hallowell though.   He'll lead you astray.   His go far too fast.
whipandflick
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 05:56:03 AM »

Well the plans (1/2A and some A) are with administration. Hoping they will be 'put' in the "Builders Plan Gallery soon. All the drawings are VTRSIG approved (UK that is)
I have also included the Ballistic and if anyone wants the profile Humpty Go Kart I also have the original drawing. With regards to Vintage Class B, my advice is to buy Gordon Rae's superb book (printed and marketed by Traplet) it has all the 'outline' drawings of almost all the published and kitted designs up to 1957 (when racers looked like planes). If contacted I understand he will copy and post a 'real size' drawing.

RMR
perttime
Gold Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »

Yesssss  Cheesy

the plans are appearing in the gallery. There's a few nice ones I'd never heard about. Now I'm going for a better look...  Grin
Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »

Hmmm 1/2 A - I really should get a new needle valve assembly and a prop driver collet for my old ED Fury

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
perttime
Gold Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 06:51:30 AM »

Well the plans (1/2A and some A) are with administration. Hoping they will be 'put' in the "Builders Plan Gallery soon....

RMR
I count 13 plans now.

Is it OK to post your plans on other sites where there's interest in designs from those days?

My thinking is that storage in multiple locations makes catastrophic losses less likely.

Pertti M
whipandflick
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »

I am in the process of sorting more approved designs for Classes 1/2A, A and B. Many were submitted whilst I was Secretary of the Vintage Team Race Special Interest Group and have been kept 'on file' In some instances these drawings were the original designers plans and are signed, providing authenticity.

As there are few Class B models shown in the gallery, I shall start be sorting my copies and will be sending them to the 'administrator' for 'uploading' on the gallery.

Double Dice
Blue Star
Firebrand
Panko 13

With regards to forwarding my drawings to 'others' I would take it as a compliment, if you were to make them more widely available.

RMR
perttime
Gold Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »

With regards to forwarding my drawings to 'others' I would take it as a compliment, if you were to make them more widely available.

RMR
I think I'll do just that Smiley

I will start with what is posted so far and post them at rcgroups.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: