Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 03, 2020, 12:05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Little indoor plane in a small box  (Read 4932 times)
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Germany Germany

Topic starter
Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »

I start a new post with bigger pictures.

I have build a indoor model that completely fits in a small box. It has Mini-Stick size. The weight is 0,82 gramm. It flys well in my livingroom like the other Mini-Sticks. The box size is 150 x 73 x 20 mm.

Julio, I will post details and pictures in the next days.

Heinz
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Little indoor plane in a small box

F1B is o.k.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »

I like that! Especially the take apart wing. What kind of time do you get in your living room?

Merry Christmas, Heinz!

- Norm Furutani
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »

Hello Norm, i have a low ceiling. 60 -90 sek. is the maximum.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year, with many maxes at Lost Hills.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
julio
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »

Hello Heinz!

Thanks for having started this as a new topic. Take your time to post any details; no rush at all.

I have a similar project in my "future agenda" (..very future sometimes Undecided). It's an old local category called 'Tres Patitos' which is a matchbox brand here where I live. It comes with 222 matchsticks. The challenge is to build an indoor model that fits (dismantled as yours) into the matchbox.

Here is a link to one downloadable plan:

http://e-aeromodelismo.com.ar/Planos/motor_goma/Patito.htm

And below is a link for a video. At minute 1:00 approx is presented an example of the 'Tres Patitos' category, model and flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_3pRAMHnw

Regards
Julio

I think I will stay a novice forever.
skycafe
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:28:45 PM »

I think this is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_3pRAMHnw

I had seen this before, and it is fascinating.*  What is the covering for the plane in the video?

Robert

*I have an odd fascination for folding bikes, boats, you name it.
skycafe
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »

Julio, 'papel japones' is Japanese Paper, or Japanese Tissue?
julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »

Hi skycafe-Robert! We are getting older; and much older soon... Wink

We posted the same link to the same video! I guess it is from year 1998. I think I also posted it in another topic at this forum. Sorry, I have an odd fascination for this (folding or not folding) little critters. That's why I liked Heinz's model so much.

The truth is that here in my country (and I'm sure in other countries too) this was a 'just for fun' category. I think the only restriction was that the model should fit into the matchbox; no weight, no covering, no (rubber weight) motor, or any other restriction. Obviously the best designed, lighter model, plus the best prop/rubber motor combination, would eventually give a longer flight duration. At competition, you win. At home, you have 'some' healthy dose of fun.

What is the covering for the plane in the video?

Well, the gentleman at the video is a very competitive local master. I'm not sure but I would bet that the covering could be condenser paper.

Julio, 'papel japones' is Japanese Paper, or Japanese Tissue?

The plan from the link I posted calls for 'papel japonés'. Literally translated would be 'japanese paper', but take it as japanese tissue. By the way, the designer of the plan is the gentleman at the video, Mr. Marcos Molo, who locally competes in almost any indoor category.

Regards
Julio

skycafe
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »

Hi Julio, as I am a gentleman I will continue to let you go first into this higher age thing we are headed toward. Smiley I of course follow right away.

I didn't think the video was correct and searched Tres Patitios. I never did notice that it was the same video-I think this aging thing is perhaps getting to me, don't you know. It was probably you that posted it before because I had seen it before. Loved the gliders in the opening, and the Tres Patitio is cute as a button.

So, when you make the paper tubes that you plug the components into, the tubes are round, but are the components square cut balsa (the square fitting in the circle), or are they rounded off?

Gee, to add to the fun of building one of these, I would have to do a scale model of the match box too. I will in the next couple of days compare the measurements of a Diamond Brand match box to the Tres Patito plan. Diamond box holds 250, but seems to be a taller box then in the video. I think the 'footprint' of the Tres Patitos box may be bigger so more wing area (and less tiny parts).

It looks like I will soon go to an indoor venue, as they seem to have sorted one out here in Central Florida, and I have solved most of the conflicts that have kept me from going in the past (automobile issues, home HVAC issues, work, yada yada), plus it looks like I could fly this thing in the living room.

Robert, avoiding conflicts but still getting older. Smiley
outofbalance
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »

Hi Hastf1b,

This is an outstanding plane-in-a-parcel project; both performance in limited space AND storage solutions.

I will enjoy following the details, building, and trying to fly in my living room! Thank you.

Outofbalance
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:57:59 AM »

(First off all, my English is not so good. If anything not clear please ask me I will try to answer the questions.)

Picture 1 shows the measuring. Lay the plan on the building board and lay the covering material ( Japan-tissue or condenser-paper) over the plan picture 2. Glue all balsa strips and parts directly by using the glue stick on the covering. The wing covering is on below. Build the wing flat as shown in picture 2. For wing joiner I used toothpicks. Make paper tubes for the toothpicks and glue on place as shown in pictures 3. “Attention” glue not the paper tube on the leading edge of the left wing. When the glue is setting cut the parts out of the covering. Now cut the wing in two halves. Glue a 1mm piece of balsa strip under the leading edge from the left wing and glue the last paper tube in place. Make two “cowhorns” as shown on pictures 4 and 5.

The motorstick is 125 mm long, the tailboom is 95 mm. The prop is from the indoor plane “Tom” by Jiri Kalina.

I hope I have not forgotten otherwise please ask.
Heinz
Re: Little indoor plane in a small box

F1B is o.k.
julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:56:37 PM »

Heinz
Thanks for your explanation and pictures! I have a question about the following comment.

“Attention” glue not the paper tube on the leading edge of the left wing. When the glue is setting cut the parts out of the covering. Now cut the wing in two halves. Glue a 1mm piece of balsa strip under the leading edge from the left wing and glue the last paper tube in place.

You mean to add a short 1 mm square balsa under the left wing leading edge and glue the paper tube to it? So you have more incidence angle in the left wing than in the right wing; wash-in to fly left circles? Is that the idea? Thanks for your kindness!

Sky-Robert
You are a true gentleman; thanks for letting me go first into this higher age thing... Grin I think Heinz gave us a clear answer with the pictures of the paper tubes and rounded toothpicks.

If you will soon go to an indoor venue, you may build your own Diamond Brand match box design. Perhaps you have to adapt a little Heinz plan or the Tres Patitos plan. Would be nice to have a Diamond model!

I would send you an email later.
Regards
Julio
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:39:30 PM by julio » Logged

hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »

You mean to add a short 1 mm square balsa under the left wing leading edge and glue the paper tube to it? So you have more incidence angle in the left wing than in the right wing; wash-in to fly left circles? Is that the idea?

Yes, that is correct.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »

Thanks a lot Heinz!

Regards
Julio

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »

Hello Heinz!
Your English is better than my German (and I've been in Germany for 39 years Embarrassed). I've also just come across an indoor venue, only 5 Kilometers from home so I have begun building some indoor class models - mostly peanut, but have started a pistachio.

These micro models are fascinating, and I'm tempted to try a "matchbox" model - I even have a transport box for it Grin, an original "Diamond" match box! The dimensions of the box are 12 x 6.5 x 3.5mm.

Where are you located? I'm in the Offenbach/Main area (Rödermark) and my indoor site is in Rodgau (Nieder Roden) - actually an indoor RC club.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »

Hello Pete, I can support your engaged to build those little planes it makes a lot of fun.

My hometown is "Monheim am Rhein" near "Düsseldorf".
I have flown many years ago contests in "Neu Isenburg" I think it is in your area.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »

Few more details. Picture 1 shows the model from behind with any measurings. The rubber loop is 1x1,2 mm, 250 mm long.

Pictures 2 and 3 shows a other one from "solid" balsa in the same description. The weight is 0,8 gramm.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »

I just finished another model in the box, simpler to build then the other. The basis is the “Junior” kit from IKARA. To bay from Ikara or Flitkook. All items for building are in the kit without a piece of aluminum tube 2,5/2,1 mm and a few toothpicks. The weight is 2,8 Gramm.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »

Sorry I hadn't gotten back. Neu Isenberg is only 10 Kilometers from my house. I'll have to ask if it would still be possible to fly there (Hugonottenhalle). Just how much interest is there in Germany for even the FAI indoor classes?

Those are some neat micro models. They would do well at the site (6.2m ceiling) where I can now fly in Nieder Roden (Rodgau), but I'm waiting for funds to purchase a rubber stripper before I start building these things.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »

Hello Pete, I think 5 or 6 pilots flying the FAI classes in Germany. Look at here under F1D.

http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/competitions/free_flight/mast.html

The best flyer since years is Lutz S.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 09:17:43 AM »

This time a "pocket-plane" with tips. The wing-joiners are inside the wing.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
LivingRoomFlight
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 12:47:01 PM »

For fun I made one of theese covered in japanese paper. Funny ones :-)

I made short video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3PZDCT-spc

regards

FF - flying first! - building second?
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »