Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 01:28:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rudder area in TLG? Compared to CLG, that is.  (Read 421 times)
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:51:34 AM »

Just for fun, tried to tip launch my "Rakt Upp" CLG the past weekend, but to avail. Whatever I tried for the launch position, every time it flipped inverted and dived to the ground. I concluded too little rudder area, resulting in a sideslip (outer panel leading) due to the rotation, and then the dihedral causing the hald roll. Right? So for a TLG a much larger rudder is needed?
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »

Can't really say for sure. I had an issue late last fall where my 8" Let it Roll (CLG) would not behave on the sling - no matter WHAT I did.

This glider was originally designed as a HLG that I modified with a hook and a touch more dihedral. It has a rather small stab and rudder, but had worked great in catamode. During the course of the 2009 Tiny Gliders Postal, I tried it as a DLG on a tip from Tony (Tmat) - didn't work, but I figured it was more a lack of proper technique.

Back to fall 2010. Glider wouldn't catalaunch, so I decided to try again after reading up a bit more on "proper" DLG warm-up and one-step (NO spin) techniques and try for some times for the 2010 Tiny Gliders Postal in the HLG category. This time it worked a charm. The glider DOES flip almost on its back (it's trimmed for LR) but recovered EVERY time at a much higher altitude than I can manage with a javelin toss.

I found (for MY glider), using a "thumb under" grip on the CG (tip) and letting the plane trail (lag) during the swing, plus keeping the arm STRAIGHT worked OK. The low incidence of a CLG requires that the model be aimed UP (HOW much up is open for discussion), and as is usual with TLG/DLG the follow-thru has to be perfect. Essentially, you "point" (elbow and wrist LOCKED) to where the glider is to go at release. DON'T even think about giving the glider a bit more OOMPH by wrist- snapping - that's probably what's putting the plane on its back and into the ground.

As to your ? about rudder area, on TINY gliders (<12 inches) I don't think it makes that much difference - but the CONFIGURATION might (Y-tail). Might be difficult to catalaunch a Y-tailed bird tho.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:41:18 AM »

Does the plane in question have a butterfly tail or just a regular stab with fin on top?

Fin area above and below the fuselage seems to be necessary.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:09:04 AM »

Dan,
the "Rakt Upp" and the "Let it Roll" are "normal" configuration gliders.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: