Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 01:57:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Indoor Flying  (Read 34449 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »

If you have indoor flying sessions that you want to share with us, that includes pictures, Video links and stories of your experiences add them to this topic. If it becomes significant we will move it to a more appropriate location.

Bruce F.

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:37:48 AM »

Thanks, Bruce, for starting this thread. I'll post a few picture of my indoor exploits in a few days.

To start, I would like to show some of the amazing indoor sites that people have flown in.

Here is a video of indoor flying at the National Building Museum

http://www.youtube.com/user/maxfliart#p/u/81/HoV7mU0ACUI

Isn't that a great indoor venue?!

A 360 degree tour of this beautiful building can be found here.

http://www.nbm.org/about-us/
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »

That's an impressive site, but there appears to be a level where turbulence is a problem. Probably expensive to rent for club type flying, tho.

Well, here goes! Last night was my very first experience with indoor flying (FF). A small group of rc heli flyers has the use of the town hall in a neighboring community (about 6 kilometers from my home). It's not very large - about like Matthew's "shed" with ~6 meter ceiling. There is a HUGE sports hall in the same building (12-15 meter ceiling) that we MIGHT be able to use occasionally (with slippers or "dedicated" indoor sneakers).

I took along three models to get a "feel" for the place: a Phantom Flash (COMET), Aeroneer (COMET nickle scale), and a clone of the IKARA Butterfly. There were four heli pilots there also. Flying order was set so that I could fly between each heli flight, giving me LOTS of opportunities - I could wind faster than they could charge/swap batteries Grin.

First up was the clone, a model I built about three years ago as part of a rehab project. Flew it a number of times in the clinic, but has languished since. It didn't do that well as the flight pattern was WAY too tight but I was satisfied with the three flights (videoed, BUT...)

Next came the Aeroneer. This was built sometime around 2005 and I never got it to fly worth a darn. A combination of the wrong size rubber and inexperience plus trying to fly the puppy outdoors prevented any progress... until last night. I had gotten some good rubber from a German F1D flyer back in 1998 at the Leipzig Model Expo that I had completely forgotten about. The 1 mm round stuff that I had seemed to be a bit too much (single strand), so I dug out a strip of black (dark grey?) from that batch that was about 0.9mm and made up a single strand motor 7" long. three test hops, a bit more downthrust, up elevator tab and left rudder tab on 750 turns, gave me a very nice two circle slow climbout, with a greased-in landing and only about 100 turns left. Have to test the rubber to breakage now and get/make a torque meter. This was also videoed... BUT!).

MY CAMERA CRASHED (during the filming of the Areoneer flights Angry)! I couldn't even turn the camera off! Ended up having to open the batt. compartment which wiped the SD card Sad Angry. Afterward, it worked fine allowing me to vid the flights of the...

Phantom Flash: This plane got it's first taste of flight outdoors, so I knew that it was capable. I added a small turn tab to the rudder to reduce the circle diameter, getting it perfect right off.
VIDEO:

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn194/staubkorb/Rubber%20powered%20Fun%20Planes/Indoor%20Action/?action=view&current=Indoor_10feb2011.mp4

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »

Pete
All you needed on that second flight is to put the 1500 in and then back off a few.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »

Right Bill. The way I'm set up at the moment, I automatically "back off" abou 50 turns when I hook up the rubber to the rear. Just starting to learn this Indoor stuff

Now to get a 10:1 winder, rubber stripper, real CONTEST balsa...

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »

I "went indoor flying" last night.

I drove to Burbank, CA from San Diego last night to fly with the Black Sheep Squadron. It took me three and a half hours in Southern California traffic. Yikes. I must be a little crazy about indoor flying.

Luther Burbank Middle School is the host of many Indoor Records. It is where Warren Williams set the current Cat I Limited Penny Plane record of 16:16. Most recently, in Dec 2010, Phedon Tsiknopoulos set the Unlimited CLG with his super light glider. The club here in Burbank has had almost continued use of this gym since the 1970's. The club meets one Friday a month.

Here is a video of some of the flying action. The rest of the club was flying Mustang no-cals from a kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtPZ_KllSo

The ceiling is not made for scrubbing. Too many hits and your model will slide down the sloping ceiling. The air last night was not good. It was turbulent even at 25' and there was significant drift.

-Kang
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:13:19 AM »

Went Indoor Flying last night, at our monthly get together at Ingle Farm, Adelaide. Attendance was down again to about 6 freeflight flyers and a dozen or so R/C flyers. Sorry to the R/C fellas but this is just a Free Flight report. I guess by now you would expect my videos to improve but that's not the case, Oh well! First is John with his "Seahorse" foam and balsa creation that flies surprisingly well, and yes before you start on about Matt being interested he's already asked for the plan! Ill try Matt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uc9S_6s9Lk

Next is Jack who had a Joy Flight in a Waco YMF 5C over Christmas and decided to build a peanut Waco, not a YMF 5C but an SRE. Here's its second ever flight,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfr6GvaaxAY
not much more to do there.

Up next is a flight by my Andreasen while at the same time brother Trev launches his SAI S207 which hits the ceiling dislodges the nose block 90 degrees, you can hear the clatter on the video, and continues on. So much for careful thrust adjustment and trimming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIE1CmhIrPY

Finally is my Pistachio Jodel D9, its just been fitted with a plastic prop and I only had some .050" rubber, obviously too large, so the flights were erratic. Its antics entertained the crowd, this flight ending on the ledge, Its retrieval causing more laughter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWvasmPZkkY

For some reason there was quite a bit of moving air last night, Tim had an 11 minute flight with one of his F1D's that wandered all over the hall, at some stages it almost stopped as if flying into a head wind and then sped up as it went downwind , must make it very hard to trim in those conditions.

Regards Dave
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Indoor Flying
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 100

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »

I went flying last night, too, in the high bay of our engineering lab. The air was off for once, so I thought things would be good and stable. WRONG! The conditions were ok for my pennyplane, helicopter, and ornithopter, but when I pulled out the new EZB, life got more interesting. I made 5-6 flights with it, all looking like they would end around the 10 minute mark, but it would hit turbulence around the 20' mark and lose a bunch of altitude every time. On the last flight I got frustrated and wound to full turns (1750), and it took off like a rocket (well, as much as a .5 g EZB can look like a rocket), reaching the 30' ceiling in just over a minute, where it promptly hung up at 90 seconds. I got it free, and it flew 45 seconds before hanging up again. And again... the climbing finally slowed down after I freed it the third time, and I was able to steer it away from further obstacles by just bumping the wingtip now and then. This last segment of the flight lasted 8:30, so I decided that was the closest I was going to get to 10 minutes and called it a night. I did get one no-touch flight of 9:something, though. If/when I get it into a higher ceiling, it should be a lot of fun. I had no idea this wimpy thing could climb at a better than 45 degree angle, prop fluttering and all!
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »

Josh
I've watched Kang's .3 gram EZB climbing at something over 45 degrees at Tustin. It is an amazing sight with the slow speed and the prop hardly turning. I'm going to have to try this indoor thing some day!<G>
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »

This is a little late but Kang sent me 2 videos from the Jan. 22 Thermal Thumbers Cat 1 indoor contest at St. Lukes Presbyterian Church near Atlanta. For me this was a day to try for records in the two new AMA classes - A6 and F1M. As it turned out my A6 didn't feel cooperative about turning under high torque and most of the day was spent in trying to either solve the problem or come up with a way to compensate for it. The final solution for that day was to back off turns to drop the launch torque and then try to pick a launch spot that would put the model in the center of the space. Finally, in the early afternoon I got one good flight that only required one quick steer and landed with 6:07 on the clock. I decided that this was good enough to submit for a record and believe it will become the first A6 Cat 1 record. Here is a short video of one of the flights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDn9y8x3rWk

After spending most of the day with the A6 I didn't have much time left for F1M. I put up a couple of flights with motors that were too long for Cat 1 and had a best time of 11:46. I wasn't happy with this time so didn't do a record submittal for it. Here's the F1M in flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FRdaG78CXc

We will fly again next Saturday, Feb.19. I'm going to be the acting CD for the event so may not get to do another record attempt at that time unless there is another CD on hand to take my place during the attempt.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »

Hi folks

Just back from Totton (near Southampton) which was a far more welcoming a prospect than Middle Wallop which must have been awash after the night of rain that showed no sign of abating ... :'(

Pauline from Flitehook was in attendance with the usual tables full of goodies (Flitehook organise these events), John tuned up after lunch looking slightly soggy after a visit to MW (The Crookham Gala was, I believe, abandoned because of the weather conditions)

As usual there was lots of activity going on in the hall which ranged from Easy B's through Gimminie Crickets and Hanger Rats. There were also a number of electric foam jobs that buzzed around on their tiny (pager?) motors. I counted 25 fliers at one stage lined around the hall (tables and chairs were all put out at the start). Most seemed to be having fun and I didn't see any mid-airs. One flyer whose day got off to a bad start was my clubmate Gerald Pink (yes the famous F1B flier). A gust of wind caught his model box on the way in and a newly constructed EasyB took to the outside air.... I saw the remains and sympathised, but Gerry was in his usual high spirits and took it all very lightly. Cool

Only a few piccies. A general view of the hall (which is 3 badminton courts long and about 25' high). A nifty Dragon which I missed flying. A typical indoor table packed with a range of models and what looked like a Nowlen Neiuport waiting it's next flight. There's also one of yours truly winding his pistachio WeeBee for one more flight after the hall had cleared.

Roy and Barbara Tiller from Bournemouth organised an informal comp as usual which this time was a precision contest aiming for a flight of 30 seconds in the first hour then a flight of 40 seconds in the second and finally a 50 second flight in the third. (I think that was right) There also appeared to be a flyoff, although I was at that stage more interested in getting a bacon sarnie from the bar/cafe which was doing a brisk trade amongst the fliers (if not the more dedicated sports folks that were doing things elsewhere in the centre). Embarrassed
This comp. was a change from the regular duration event for the Gimminie C's (which whenever I've watched seemed to be won by the aforementioned John Hook. John's model is built to plan apart from a single bladed prop (converted from an Ikara Bulldog (?) prop, not for any performance enhancement effect but simply because he didn't want to throw it away when one blade became damaged!) It does fly beautifully though and seems blessed with a charmed life) Wink

I played with my Pistachios and Bostonians and had fun with them and helping a new chum who has come from RC and is now totally smitten with indoor FF. I managed to crack the top two longerons of the Beaver after a slide down the wall, but she'll be back for next year along with some new friends.

One more event to go....

Toodlepip
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »

Hey Bill,
you probably noticed how my Phantom Flash hit the undulation in the ceiling. I had gone from a 10" to a 14" motor (same x-section) and from 750 (short motor) to 1500 on the long hoping for the extra height and longer duration - got both, but with the hit and crash. Apparently, I got about two-thirds way through the winds at the hit, but I'd prefer to NOT hit the ceiling. Should I pitch the prop a bit higher, or slightly more diameter? I don't have access to a stripper (unless I go into Frankfurt Grin).

A Dedicated Convert to:

Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »

Pete
You can try a bit more pitch which should slow down the prop a little. I still think the main thing would be to back off enough turns to not hit ceiling. It will take a torque meter to really control this. You might be talking about a difference of just 1 or 2 hundredths of an inch-ounce to control the altitude.
lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »

Does this count as indoor flying? Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZ6t36RzEo

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:08:33 PM »

You are indoors and it's flying.... Yup... Grin

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 08:47:51 AM »

When did you build THAT?

@ Olbill: I'll try backing off a bit more next week (no flying this Thursday). Hopefully, I'll also have my Berryman Rearwin Speedster de-warped for then and maybe two others for initial test flights (p'nut Gourdou and pistachio DH-60).

I'd like to modify my 5:1 winder so I can wind in either direction (also to allow easier "backing-off"). Thinking about a push-button to release the locking cog. Have to order a 10:1 winder soon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:57:57 AM by Pit » Logged

A Dedicated Convert to:

lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »

Built it in my dreams... Sleep building.

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »

HAR, HAR! Guess I WILL have to build my Nowlan kit Roll Eyes!

A Dedicated Convert to:

Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »

A little insanity for y'all. Best flight time is 12 seconds so far. I'll try it later in a place where it can climb higher...
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »

That IS insane! What are the specs?

How do you even see the parts when you built it?

And how do you wind it?

Well done!
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »

Josh, how did you make your hand so big? hehehehe..

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »

That's some mighty fine trick photography, Josh Wink!

A Dedicated Convert to:

Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »

It really is no joke. I built it last night in about two hours. Ribs are sliced from .010 C-grain that I planed of a CLG wing blank at some point. Spars are from 1/32 planed down to about .010, and they are .020 tall. The wingspan is 1.5", and it's roughly 3.5" long. Prop is from some more planed off wood, probably about .006 thick. Motor is a strand of .020 stripped in half with scissors. My rubber stripper is on loan, so I'll try to strip some .010 when I get it back. This is of course the smallest I've successfully flown, but it stands in contrast to the two predecessors. My 3" biplane has done 2:30+ on multiple occasions, and I did briefly have a 3" monoplane that was doing over a minute before it got lost in some rafters.

The design is really just Diebolt's 1 5/8" monoplane with increased dihedral to get the span under 1 1/2". I didn't think I'd be able to fly it with his low dihedral anyway. Both the wing and stab are warped against the torque pretty strongly. It launches straight up and helicopters into the ceiling, then does a few torque rolls before settling into a tight climb circle and then straightens out into a right hand cruise. The wall intervenes before the right turn even gets going...
Steven Wrigley
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »

I have something in the works that will best Mr. Finns gnat. It just may fly backwards. She will be called El Delicado. Stay tuned!

My other Saab's a jet!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 08:45:50 AM »

Looks like Steven is up the the challenge. Don't you have an AROG to finish? Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: