Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 01:41:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Indoor Flying  (Read 34945 times)
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2014, 08:29:32 AM »

Thanks George; here's another shot of it. I think he might be putting it into the (increasingly interesting) forthcoming indoor glider comp.
It features a nifty knock-off wing system with one replaceable tongue going through the fus into both wings.

Pete:
I like the looks of that ... any idea on where plans could be found?

Regards-
Dave

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2014, 09:55:20 AM »

Sorry not to be more help Dave, but Andy Sephton showed me the model and I didn't actually talk to Derek himself about it. I'm assuming it's his own one-off design, so probably no plans as yet. I don't really know that though.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »

Pete's right - Derek told me it was his own drawing.

Jon
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »

Sorry not to be more help Dave, but Andy Sephton showed me the model and I didn't actually talk to Derek himself about it. I'm assuming it's his own one-off design, so probably no plans as yet. I don't really know that though.

Thanks. If you're able to find anything I'd be interested but if not I understand.

Yesterday I cast about the internet and found a reference to a 29 inch wingspan version published in a 1960s vintage magazine ... I can't replicate the results this morning. Argh.

Basically appears to be 2 plans out there, one for a smaller version and the larger one (which is registered in the Hip Pocket plans page).

Regards-
Dave
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »

Congrats to Pete, OlBill and Joshua  Smiley ..... and I thought that nothing would ever come of Mr. Finn  Wink
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 101

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. This whole thing is the culmination of about 2 years of difficult research, and it feels really good to finally have the record in hand. Thank you everyone for your help over the years. Hopefully those of you who fly indoor will at least get something back in terms of a new F1D design which will provide the context for getting higher performance. I truly believe that these reduced-area models carry a tremendous performance advantage if used properly. The results of this project will be released in a series of papers including a Sympo article to be submitted next year. There is far too much information to include in a single publication because the development process has covered virtually every aspect of F1D design from rudder sizing to VP spring attachments.

Definitely true John. It's my understanding that Joshua has developed that model specifically for St. Lukes but he is better suited to comment than I am.

That is definitely part of it. I also do my testing in a small space and have built the models around what works best there. I do not, however, believe that the extreme offset or high posts are completely necessary or that they particularly damage performance in regards to larger sites. This setup would be great, for example, in the mine, where there is the need to have a very stable, tight climb, but the turn can be opened up for places like West Baden, where I hope to see what the model can do in higher sites.

My next plan will be to work on maintaining the stability while shortening the posts about 40% because I want to try carbon posts next, as they are aerodynamically clean and don't pop boron strands loose all the time. These elliptical models fly a little faster than traditional F1D's, so cleaning up the airframe is critical for high performance.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Indoor Flying
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »

Congrats to Pete, OlBill and Joshua  Smiley ..... and I thought that nothing would ever come of Mr. Finn  Wink

YES,
Congrats to all.
Keep up the great work Josh.

Quite a big change from flying at the Berkeley County Airport.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:19:04 PM by Dave Andreski » Logged

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »

Quite a big change from flying at the Berkeley County Airport.

Dave

Hey! You were here and didn't tell me? Tut, tut! Wink

FYI, we're relocating to central Georgia in the next few weeks as I take a job in aircraft sustainment. It's going to be good to finally have a "real" job.
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »

Nice flying Joshua - interesting model - really enjoying seeing all the pics. cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »

One LPP flight at the EAA Family Flight fest contest.

After an epic 11:22 flight in Racine, I took out my plane this weekend with hopes of doing well.

A couple of test flights were done to get the torque required to climb, but not too high, when disaster #1 struck.
The rubber wound up the prop shaft in such a way that it came loose about one minute into the flight. The ensuing vibration tore stab tips off, breaking the ribs and tearing the covering to shreds.

I reassembled the stab added some covering to repair some rips... And discovered I had forgotten to pack my cautery.

I asked around - John Kagan had one. I got it cleaned up, added batteries and attempted to use it.
This was a high temp cautery and the second I touched the mylar, it caught fire. Disaster #2.

Shades of DonS's HLS model - but mylar burns more slowly than microfilm thankfully. I was able to put it out. But the stab was now shot. And it was my only model.

I looked into my box and realized that I had not taken out my original Gowen LPP fuse - which had the stab still attached.

I have to fix some loose carbon and a hole, but it might just work, I think.

FrankenLPP is born. Yacogowen. Sounds Japanese.

I put on some turns and make some adjustments. It doesn't fly too bad, I think.
Hmm. I walk over to the scoring table. There are a bunch of good flights, 6/7/even 8 minutes. Everyone is pretty much done.

I walk back to my log book and look at the test flights. I choose a torque that should be OK. I wind to my target torque, grab Tim Warren to time me so at least I can make one official flight before the time runs out and launch.

The ceiling is 50 feet in Eagle Hanger. There are girders and lights and an evil fan that loves to catch my planes.

It turns out the trim is off. What were small tight circles had become big lazy circles. Big Lazy isn't good in Eagle Hanger.
It was climbing OK though, slow and steady. Just way off where I wanted it.
Up to the girders at 35 feet. Knocks around a bit several times, but eventually centers where it should. Good.
And keeps climbing. Up. up. up. The circle intersects the evil fan.

And it crashes into the fan right near the top, almost enough to get lodged on top. It stops and pitches up.
Then does an epic tail slide twenty feet down until it recovers.

It climbs right back up. Slowly.
Starts to thread the girders. Three times it drives right through a space what seems like only 20 inches wide.

It hits the light cord. Did I mention the evil lights? Walks down the cord, doesn't get caught on the ballast or rim and takes a turn for the balcony.

At this point, it is circling right above the Me109. Misses the balcony by inches. Drifts out a touch rather than in. Settles into a nice circle missing the balcony by a foot now.

I call out to my timer, Tim Warren. Five minutes. Jeez, you loose track of time with all this fun.
Still circling, not gaining, not losing height. Hmm. I might be OK now.

It starts to drift a bit towards the center, eventually landing without further excitement or entanglement with said German warbird.

I look at Tim. You got it he says.

My one official flight. And it was over the previous 8 minute flight.

At that, I put the darn thing away. Franken-Yacogowen.  I love indoor.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:28:57 PM by mkirda » Logged

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »

Beautiful story, Mike!  I'm still laughing (evily) Grin!

Did anyone get it on video?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »

I second Pit on that. Fantastic story, Mike!

I've never had anything quite that fortunate, but my wife has made some absolutely gut-wrenching flights. Her models seem to lead charmed lives.
-John-
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »

Congrats guys on the Cat. 1 records there at St. Lukes! ...Nicks model looks like it has massive potential too... Interesting F1D there Josh, glad you'll be doing a write up on it. Hats off to you folks who fly those classes.

-John(glider flier)
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »

Beautiful story, Mike!  I'm still laughing (evily) Grin!

Did anyone get it on video?

I'm glad people are enjoying it. After all the headaches and disasters with it, I just wanted a decent flight.

Apparently Rob Romash was on the phone with Tom Iocobellis (sp?) (my LPP is based on his, but with upwards-facing stab tips) when the rubber came off and remarked 'Dude, I just saw your PP implode."

I don't think so unfortunately.
After losing models to the evil fan two years in a row, I purchased a 50' carbon pole specifically for this location.
We were able to recover all but one model this year, a Ross Flyer that got wedged into the fan cage - those wire wheels got caught good.
If I had a buck for every time the pole got used... I would have paid for a good chunk of it.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: June 16, 2014, 06:39:18 AM »

Hi All
Last Saturday night was our monthly Indoor fly so I though I should do some sort of report. Sadly there were only a handful of flyers to take advantage of or great site, even the R/C flyers were low in numbers, being now officially winter may have had something to do with it. Still there was quite a bit of action as can be seen in this Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKvwNT0Hug&feature=share&list=UUGnbDn4ftkXW2v5C3_wvXrQ   Tim's new Zero showed a lot of promise, the flight in the vid was its second! I'm sure Tim will put in some comments later. My electric control line got a work out with several flyers, it still seems to float at the top of the lines though, I swept back the lines a bit but maybe it has too much tip weight. The rest is just random flights, some are trim flights just out of the box and others as they came, hope there is something of interest.
Dave
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: June 17, 2014, 05:55:22 AM »

Yep, indoor at Ingle Farm was great fun tho low numbers. Good to see Stephen and his wife becoming regulars with beautifully behaved guide dog in-training.
Dave's control liner is good fun. My second C/L flight was reasonably successful... A rubber-powered F/F model based on an old kit called the Taipan was not as good. The video shows it nosing down from launch and hitting the ground at high speed in about 2 seconds. I asked - did you get all of that Dave? He did.

The Peck Zero was a first 'chalked' effort. No time in the end to get the red circles in place (which would've made it look a bit more authentic). But the whole thing nearly came undone when it got stuck in the cricket netting. I attached a hook to the end of the retrieval stick to help get it down. But then the hook got tangled too. One model stuck. One fishing pole stuck. Time to walk quietly away...

Got it down eventually though by lowering the net with help of the staff. Whew!
If you are in town for any reason make sure you come out for a fly with us - second Sat night of the month (usually). Drop us a line if you are visiting so we can confirm dates (occasionally the night gets moved if there's a public holiday etc).

cheers
Tim

Tim
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: June 17, 2014, 06:48:37 AM »

hanks for the vid Dave and the report from you and Tim.
Those nets are a pain - I've had a Hanger Rat caught by its wheels almost 40' above the floor. It was eventually knocked out without damage by a basket ball thrown onto the other side of the net. It then merrily flew off for another minute or so.
Its a nice looking hall with some nice flights on the vid. As an old CLer the indoor CL looks interting as well.
We also have a great venue at Menai Sydney with not enough flyers and are in danger of losing it due to lack of attendance.
So if you are ever in Sydney on also the second Saturday - give me a call.
Happy Flying
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: June 17, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »

Well guys, looks like you had a very nice time ! With all those beautiful models flying around my cat would have enjoyed it to....  Wink I hope that the orange biplane survived without too much damage - if any. Nice to know that the Zero came down, one way or another.....It's a shame that here in Italy this hobby is not practiced, every time I see the gym of my daughter's school I end up wondering how nice it would be to have it available for some indoor flying.... Keep going !

Marco
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: November 24, 2014, 05:17:35 PM »

I've managed to upload a few videos from the Impington meeting last week.

A couple of a fellow Peterborough MFC member flying and then another of the mass launch .. which I think you can gather was decided on the person flying closest to the preset time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1f2NA5akLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i39CXQK65Mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jnsFz7Y5kw

Monique trying to get dizzy in the middle of the Bostonians flight circle ;-)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the videos Russ. It looks fun and very noisy.

John
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: November 28, 2014, 12:20:32 AM »

Constellation Club in Adelaide invited us to give a bit of a talk about indoor flying to a group of around 30 members after their regular monthly meeting. The Club meets at Parafield Airport and have access to a large Hangar. It's full of aeroplanes - but plenty of room in the air. Ably assisted by Dputt7 (thanks Dave) we encourage members to have a go at flying various models including samples of 'The Fly' and 'Hangar Rat'. Dave demo-ed a couple of other types too - and had some indoor electric scale models on display.
Unfortunately it was a very windy night and too many big gaps in the hangar doors etc to make F1D flights.
Here's a pic of Constellation Club President launching a Fly.
Thanks for having us along Ken.
cheers
Tim

Tim
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »

What a great meeting room and an interesting place to fly.
John
p40qmilj
OOS, June 2021
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: November 30, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »

Grin  went flying in the high school gym.  both spitfires flew well an old one and my modelhob model, as well asa wildcat and my buffalo flew like a beast.  oh well 3 out of four ain't bad

jim

Jim Norfolk CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: January 03, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »

Had a nice relaxed session at Bushfield this morning. Spent the first part of the session trimming the new glider but afterwards had a play with my Chipmunk and Speedy. The speedy is still my 'best value' model - it's quite old but its always in trim and tremendous fun  Smiley

Took the opportunity of a little fleet pic or two.

Jon
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: January 03, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »

I envy your skills, Jon!!