Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 11:13:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fox .35 Stunt Early 60's "Before Mufflers- No Flange" NEED Muffler!  (Read 1526 times)
peekaboo

« on: February 24, 2011, 03:24:38 AM »

Sad I need a muffler Mod for my Fox .35 Stunt early sixty's motor. The motor has no flanges for muffler screws. This motor was made before mufflers were in stile or needed or demanded like today!?. The motor has a great 2-4-2 break and I don't want to go to the newer Anniversary Fox's if I don't have to. Does anybody know where I can locate a modified Muffler with a strap? I haven't been able to locate the after market ones I new about fifty years ago!? Sad Huh :'( Cool
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »

I've heard that there might still be a couple on the market. A couple years ago, I did find that at least one of the muffler manufacturers did still make the clamps that could be adapted to some of the AM mufflers.

A slightly more expensive way would to be something I did with several of my Fox .35s. I bought current crankcases from Fox and just switched them out. The newer ccs have the mounting lugs. I also had several of the older Fox .45s that used an earlier muffler and the current mufflers don't fit, so I changed them over as well. Slightly pricey, a bit of work, but still cheaper than buying all new engines.
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »

Check with Randy Smith at Aero and Eric Rule at RSM, but be sure the strap is WIDE. Fox case walls are thin, and the bypass can be easily distorted under clamping pressure, which will create a warped cylinder. I used a clamping strap from Penn Reels that was very wide, and distributed the pressure very well. They are used with Penn Reels to add more clamping on Salt Water fishing rods. Although the 60th Anniversary case has a good, thick mounting lug, many of the cases made after 1970 seem to give some users trouble when mounted on a profile, on which they may "burp" in some aerobatic maneuvers (none of mine ever have, and George A. always denied there was any such symptom that is natural for a Fox 35).

Kiwi

* Smiley *
Flugzoig
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »

Hey there Peekaboo,
In my searches for engines I came across "Brodak" control line engine maker, they also have a large range of mufflers available and may have some thing to suit your needs.
I know your engine - the Fox "Old Shakey" 35 stunt - good old slugger - anyhow here's the link.

http://www.brodak.com/shop.php?CategoryID=30

Email them - good communicators - they most likely have had to deal with this issue before - good luck!!

Tom.

If you're not prepared to lose it - don'y fly it!!
peekaboo

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:27 AM »

Sad I need a muffler Mod for my Fox .35 Stunt early sixty's motor. The motor has no flanges for muffler screws. This motor was made before mufflers were in stile or needed or demanded like today!?. The motor has a great 2-4-2 break and I don't want to go to the newer Anniversary Fox's if I don't have to. Does anybody know where I can locate a modified Muffler with a strap? I haven't been able to locate the after market ones I new about fifty years ago!? Sad Huh :'( Cool

Grin  Shocked I bought a tongue muffler for my early Fox .35 Stunt Motor through StukaStuntWorks, and installed it with a wide strap, and it works great!  Huh  Roll Eyes  Kiss Thanks for ALL the in put.  Shocked  Cool PS: I'm going to buy one from Brodak later this month.  Cheesy  Grin
Renato
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »

When FAI rules imposed to use mufflers (1971), all Foxes where without anything to attach to...the first muffler I tried was a OS,I think the streamline from the '60, very nice to look at but very restrictive.It was attached using two bolts on the sides of the exhaust stack bridged on the back with a home made metal strap, just like Enya's.
It worked, besides the enormous power loss due the small size and internal baffles.Some of my friends cooked an engine or two....
Later, we made some very effective mufflers using brass tin ,about 0.3 mm thick, castolin soldered and tied with a hose clamp cut and soldered to the muffler stack.To avoid to distort the crankcase, I used to interpose a piece of rubber between ( cut from a double bass foot cover  Wink )
They become a kind of fashion here at the time, Luciano Compostella's ones where the best made , real works of art in shaping and soldering.
Later Fox made the two little bolts attachment over and under the exhaust.So we had many original Fox mufflers fly aways then....  Grin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:14:35 PM by Renato » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: