Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2019, 11:55:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Basic info for beginners: penny planes, easy Bs and nocals  (Read 3938 times)
indoorguy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 02:23:28 PM »

Hi Bill.
Thanks for this advice from way back when, now that my new  lpp plane is trimmed up
this methodology  can be a better guide than my current experimenting and 'guesstimating'.

I think the info below will be what gets my new LPP NonCents LPP into the next level
of low ceiling indoor flying endurance and consistency,especially backing off the take-off
torque i had been using and suspected was too high ( @.5 in/oz= causing it go into the
rafters within about 30 seconds).

Got any A6 tips on motor size and weights/winding/Torque level for low ceilings Huh?

take care and a sincere thanks for your advice, john s.

Motor size for your LPP is pretty much impossible to specify exactly. Everything matters - prop, model weight, model design and trim, building configuration, etc., etc.

Here's a rough guide to what I use:
18" length
2g or slightly less weight
(approx. .090" width)
Wind to around 2400 turns and around .8 in-oz
Back off turns to around .25 in-oz launch torque
(prop pitch should be around 20 to 24 depending on whether the prop flares)

If you don't get to the ceiling use less backoff.
If you hit the ceiling use more backoff.
If everything looks good but you're landing with a lot of turns remaining use thicker rubber.
If you're running out of turns in the air use thinner rubber.

This is opinion #1. I'm sure you'll get more!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: