Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 08:43:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia Gas Perfection  (Read 1175 times)
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

Here are some pictures of the flyer and model that put up 15 straight maxes to win B/C Nostalgia Gas at the Isaacson Memorial. (More maxes were available, as none were dropped, but 15 was enough to win.)

Bruce Hannah built this model as a tribute to his dad. Bruce Hannah Senior designed the "Raven" in 1953 when he was 23 years old. As you can see, it is a beautiful design, and beautifully constructed, as you would expect from Bruce. The first two pictures are of Bruce with his dad; the third is Bruce about to launch. Bruce's mom and dad came to Lost Hills to watch--his dad's first involvement with free flight in 30 years! Bruce's mom timed the flights, dad watched his own design, 15 maxes...is that cool or what?!!

Anyway, I thought this was a cool story, with father, son, mother, and a perfect model. Bruce is not just a great modeler--which is obvious since he can put up 15 maxes in power and is a great flyer in rubber events as well, and even in CLG--but also a great guy as you might surmise from somebody that builds in tribute to his father.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

--Bill
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Nostalgia Gas Perfection
Nostalgia Gas Perfection
Nostalgia Gas Perfection

Good air don't care!
Zeiss Ikon
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »

the flyer and model that put up 15 straight maxes to win B/C Nostalgia Gas at the Isaacson Memorial. (More maxes were available, as none were dropped, but 15 was enough to win.)

Shocked

I'm in awe.

I'm here to have fun -- but winning isn't bad, either.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »

I'm in awe too. Tell us more about the model though? Wingspan? Engine used? Was 180 used as the max? It would be ideal for our FF vintage here. Is there a plan available?
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »

I saw the model myself at Lost Hills and it was virtually museum quality. Just flawless. And it flew as good as it looked!

Tony
-don't ya just hate him? ;-)

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:43:42 PM »

It was quite the competition. Don Kaiser came in second with 13 maxes. It was awesome watching Bruce VTO. I'm sure there will be pictures in various publications. I know Bruce will post the details when he sees this post.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

Thanks Bill for posting these pix's and for the nice things you've written. Gossie the maxes where 3min.,the motor is a $25 ebay .23 Greenhead Trop.,and it is 500 sq.in. wing,wt. about 23.5 oz.and the plan you can get from NFFS. I made two changes one is his pylon,it was built into the body I made it movable as to set the CG easier, second I removed some wood from his tips under the L.E. sheeting (just did it a different way). For me the hole thing was to honor my father. He started me in Free Flight and taught me most of what I know. And having him there was just to cool for words.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »

Thanks Bill for posting these pix's and for the nice things you've written. Gossie the maxes where 3min.,the motor is a $25 ebay .23 Greenhead Trop., and it is 500 sq.in. wing, wt. about 23.5 oz.and the plan you can get from NFFS. I made two changes one is his pylon,it was built into the body I made it movable as to set the CG easier, second I removed some wood from his tips under the L.E. sheeting (just did it a different way). For me the hole thing was to honor my father.He started me in Free Flight and taught me most of what I know. And having him there was just to cool for words.

Thanks for info.  I'm very impressed. Smiley
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:38:23 AM »

Wow!! What a feat.... and to be able to share with a Dad and his design... that is just awesome. Not many of us get the chance to do such a thing in our life time. I think this is a great father and son relationship that should set an example what life is really about.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:43:13 PM »

Sorry to piggy back this thread, so to speak, but the title says it all.
I had the very great pleasure of flying with Bruce and others at the recent Vintage FAI Challenge at Tangent Oregon, organized by Bob Stalick (who also flew in it himself).

Bruce's models was an early Ray Monks FAI job, and he won. Ray Monks designs are seldom described as beautiful, but Bruce's rendition was superbly done.

This is the model I wanted to highlight, though - Bob DeShields '55 Gastove - OS Max 15 III (I think) Powered. Flew well, and placed 2nd. The tissue work is particularly elegant and beautifully done.

John
Re: Nostalgia Gas Perfection

Gliders are a part of me.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:05:17 AM »

Bob's planes are works of art. So are Bruce's! Looked like the conditions were great for the contest. I'm bummed I missed it.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Rewinged
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:25:35 AM »

This carries this completely almost completely off-topic, but since I started the thread...

John, sorry I didn't meet you at the meet this weekend!  I only flew glider events at the AMA comp.  I saw Bob fly many times, though, while standing in the glider pen.  His planes are certainly beautiful.

Derek, we did have great weather Sunday mid-day and afternoon.  Before that it was flyably windy on Saturday and Sunday. 

Really fun weekend.  My daughter even started throwing TLG on Saturday, and both she and my son got lots of advice from the gurus.

--Bill

Good air don't care!
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »

John is right,Bob is the master of tissue.I build 5 foot models(from 5 feet they look OK) with Bob's the closer you get the better they are.He is also a great flier and air picker,you must be having a good day to beat him.Bill way to go,Bill won TLG beating the awsome Tim B. Grin
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »

Superb. Smiley
Rewinged
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »

Shocked
Thanks, Bruce.  I'm shocked at the result.

My flying was good, but more significantly, the all-star TLG gurus at the contest were even nicer than my flying was good.  As much as those competitors want to win, they are happy for others to do well. 
A bunch of "sports" (just like you) in a great sport.
 Smiley

--Bill

(P.S. Bob Deshield's planes are awesome, but your planes look pretty darn nice up close, too.)

Good air don't care!
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »

I would never describe any of my models as perfection, but here are a couple more shots from Oregon in August, very kindly provided by Frank Pollard. Night Train before it tangled with the wires and an un-flown (at the time) Trad Lad. It flies quite well now, though, and is an exciting model to fly with it's piped engine!

Nigh Train is an elegant design, but the Fuller Trad Lad looks a bit angular against Raven and Gastove, I think.

John

John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »

Hi John,

Great looking models, what's the covering? I am in the process of building two Crescendo 62 power models, Ron Draper designs, and have been wondering about what to use for covering. Thought about using Polyspan but not sure. It has been quite a while since I covered a power model, back in the UK in the 60's, and remember using tissue in those days. BTW I am building two models the same as Ron did for the World Champs. One that won the 56 World Champs,with a slight symmetrical wing section & the other with a flat bottom section that he built as his reserve.

Regards

John
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 11:05:58 AM »

Good news, John - whereabouts in Cannuck land are you?

Both my models are covered in good old fashioned doped tissue - Modelspan in the case of Trad Lad, and a mix of Modelspan and Esaki on Night Train. Silkspan seems pretty equivalent to Modelspan, although I haven't seen a heavy weight version (both wings are heavy weight Modelspan). Silkspan seems to be only available in white, but dying it is not hard.

I need to try the tissue over mylar thing next, I think, seems to be all the rage.

John

John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »

Hi John,

Good old Nova Scotia is where I am. I used my last supply of Modelspan a long time ago and thought about silkspan but did like the way Polyspan went on and looked on the fuselage of the wife's Lambs Climber when she was covering it. Not at the covering stage yet so I have a while, a the speed I build quite a while, to think about it. Are you using modelspan on the tails as well?

Which is another problem for me in what I should cover the tail with. would tissue over myler be stong enough for a power model tail or should it be covered using Silkspan or Polyspan the same as used on the wings, not sure.

Thanks for the help, I need all the help I can get and I am not at the flying part yet.

Regards

John

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »

John O'Donnell may well still have Modelspan for sale.  I bought a batch some years ago.

Premium price of course....     Cheesy
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »

John, The covering method depends on the wing structure. If it's an open structure (not geodetic or D box) Polyspan is the way to go! Finished with 3 coats of 50/50% butyrate dope and fuel proof the two inner panel bottoms and you're good to go! Stab covering, tissue over mylar is really strong and light!!!

Scott
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »

There's a good discussion thread on covering power models on the NFFS site.

http://freeflight.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1529

Aerodyne (www.freeflightmodels.com) lists silkspan, and price is substantially below Sig.

JB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: