Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 16, 2019, 04:17:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hi everyone, from Chuck Glider  (Read 915 times)
Chuck Glider

« on: March 28, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »

I've been out of this great pastime of ours. It has been almost a year since I threw a glider. Such is the nature of work and family life (and death). Then a week ago, my 9y old son asked me to show him how to make a paper aeroplane and we spent a good afternoon folding, trimming and throwing them around. It was wonderful to see his enthusiasm especially as he converted a "diver" into a flat glider, by adding a bit of "up"...

What is it about this aeromodelling bug that does not die? It may go into hibernation, for years perhaps, but it's still there, warm, cosy, waiting to come out. So it was at the first sign of spring.

It was a lovely afternoon on Sunday, at least for an English March day. A tad cool crisp in the air but thankfully some "watery" sun - as they describe it here. That means sunshine that doesn't blaze, but trickles through hazy cloud. So, for the first time in a long while, we went to the park and I took a chuckie along. With just a little trimming, she was transitioning well enough and floating about in lazy left circles. I could feel the blood rushing to my hand - surely a sign of old age. This is an "old school JLG", you understand. I spied two red kites, floating, circling. Were they climbing? Not really, but they weren't flapping or coming down either. A small spark of excitement and I launched! Gah, too early! She helter skeltered down fast, obviously in the upwind side downdraft. My aim isn't great at the best of times, but an average glider with a spirally climb didn't help. My daughter (5y) suddenly became an enthusiastic chaser, ran, collected the plane and brought it back. The kites were just overhead, slightly downwind now. I launched again! Nailed it!

Now, when I say "nailed", I use the term in shoddy-workman-with-poor-hammer-management-skills like way. The glider wasn't centred in the lift - what paltry amount there was of it - but it was magical to see the little upward kick every time she turned cross wind. Up and down, up and down, but overall, neither going up nor down. She headed for the grassy deck just inside the boundary hedge, with my daughter running around underneath, hands waving - knee high to a grasshopper but still trying to jump up and catch it! 78s...Yes!

Wonderful to fly again. So satisfying to peg the first max of 2011. Grin Now, where do I find the time to fly some more?  Undecided

That's just my long-winded way of saying Hi Everyone! Sorry I haven't been around on the forums. I've missed chatting, watching, lurking and learning from the gurus of spin and the grand witches of twirl, the knowledgeable who reside here - and elsewhere on the net. JLG, HLG, DLG, CLG - call it what you will. It's a bug that never dies, it merely hibernates!

http://chuckglider.blogspot.com
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »

Cheers Chuck - what a great story -glad to hear you enjoyed your Day.
Although I have spent most of my modelling time flying RC Glider I have always enjoyed flying chuckies, although they were on the backburner for a while . I have recently been spending more time with them as a result of helping a group of Air League boys with their building projects.

My problem is finding a large enough place to fly.Only last week I caught a weak thermal with a 300mm CLG and in 38secs it parked itself outside the soccer field in scub. That 78secs flight without loss must have been magic.

Here's to more successful flights.
John
Chuck Glider

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »

Hi Ozpaf,
Well, if it's not easy to find a place to fly in Australia, then there's no hope for any of us!

Looks like you could use a buzzer locator of some sort. I'll start a new thread on it in the CLG section.
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »

Welcome back Chucker !!
I wondered where you were for a while !

WE all need more air time ,it has rained more here in the last three months than in the last 28 years !! So it has been real hard to get any air time for any type of plane !!

Glad your back guy !!!
George
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »

Welcome back Harjinder!

The Postal's still running to end of June and you have your first max...... get to it!
frankben

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:46:38 AM »

What is it about this aeromodelling bug that does not die? It may go into hibernation, for years perhaps, but it's still there, warm, cozy, waiting to come out. So it was at the first sign of spring.

I know all about it! As I was a kid I wanted to fly these planes but the ware to expensive for my parents, Then when I was about 18 I build my first bird and flew and build again till I got married, got a carrier, raising kids ... Now after 22 years the bug came back and I'm happy for it! Smiley

Frank
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »

It happens to the best and every one else to!! Welcome Frank

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: