Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone recall a pre-fab P-30 from Tyro models?  (Read 1194 times)
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:13 AM »

I have acquired the remaining inventory of Tyro Models (Palo Alto, California c. 1980) and have discovered MANY parts for a prefabbed P-30 design. Unfortunately I have no building plan for the model, which may possibly have been named the the "Jay Dee". Another design mentioned, but not sorted out yet, is something called the "Tyro Glider", again no idea as to concept. The P-30 has pre-cut ribs for wing and stab. Rudder is quite large swept affair. Pre built fuselage is balsa box about 24" long, with 1" square x-section. Down and right thrust built in. It appears there are ribs for about 400 kits, half as many noseblock/prop assemblies (Peck large grey plastic) and maybe 50 fuselages. I have a few boxes marked Tyro which haven't been opened yet.

Tyro also kitted two old timers for FF and radio assist. An 80" Playboy and 48" Bay Ridge Mike. Many rib sets cut for these as well. However I do have Tyro's original plans for these which comprise my initial interest.

If there is any interest, I could make some rib kits available for any or all. Also copies of the plans for the OT types.

I'm hoping somebody could point me to an image of either the P-30 or the glider. Thanks a heap!!!
Steven Wrigley
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:18 AM »

Sorry I cant help, but how do they mass produce ribs?

My other Saab's a jet!
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:08:36 AM »

I have acquired the remaining inventory of Tyro Models (Palo Alto, California c. 1980) and have discovered MANY parts for a prefabbed P-30 design. Unfortunately I have no building plan for the model, which may possibly have been named the the "Jay Dee".

I'm hoping somebody could point me to an image of either the P-30 or the glider. Thanks a heap!!!

I am not familiar with the design and have been periodically checking your thread for responses.

Any idea on vintage? Anything about the designer? Perhaps these clues may yield more information.

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »

I haven't answered because I've been spending time going thru my mags for that time period.  The name of the company IS familiar, so I should come up with something tho I was saving the rc mags more than the GOOD ones.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
dosco
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

I haven't answered because I've been spending time going thru my mags for that time period.  The name of the company IS familiar, so I should come up with something tho I was saving the rc mags more than the GOOD ones.

I reread the OP, drrr, 1980 timeframe. Unfortunately I unloaded all of my early 1980s magazines when I left Arizona in 2001. Stupid stupid me.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »

I was buying all the model mags from the Base Exchange up till around 1993.  Lost most of them when I "moved out".  Now, I'm forced to reduce stock simply for lack of room Sad, but the confuser mags are the FIRST to get canned.

The funny thing is, tho, I ran across the Tyro name about two months before this query came up, but I can't for the life of me remember in WHICH mag (but I can remember the telephone number at my house in Mexico from 55 years ago)!

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »

I purchased, built, and flew a Tyro Combo. It was a Coupe or a small Mulvihill. The major difference probably was the rear peg location. I know that I flew it as a Mulvihill, and also flew Coupe about that time, so mine may have been flown both ways.

It was finally lost at Tullahoma, TN along with 3-4 other contestants' Mulvihills into the same booming thermal in the second fly-off flight. This was roughly 1975.

Fred Rash
oldtimer

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »

Would love to get my hands on a couple of these, please.
dosco
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »

I purchased, built, and flew a Tyro Combo. It was a Coupe or a small Mulvihill. The major difference probably was the rear peg location. I know that I flew it as a Mulvihill, and also flew Coupe about that time, so mine may have been flown both ways.

Any pics or plans?

packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »

Well, first let me thank all who responded. I watched this for a while and figured nobody would! Today, I'm drawing up a P-30 plan for the pre-cut ribs and fuselages. I wanted to know about the  proper distance  between the prop hook and the motor peg,  just to get it somewhere close on the plan. Any ideas to meet current rubber weight mximum??

Tyro Model Supply was originated by one Barrnet Kernoff (Kerroff?).  The BayRidge Mike plan is dated 1980 and the address is  Palo Alto CA. I  got some interest on another site and a fellow there said he thought John Pond may have actually drafted the plans for Tyro/Kerrnoff models.

Getting back to the P-30. It's clear Barnnet designed these ribs and fuselages for a P-30 he called the "Jay Dee" from the box lables. The fins too(more were found!) . As it's a rather thick flat bottomed airfoil, with a single bottom spar, 1/4 sq. LE and a 1/8 x 1/2" TE, I'm assuming it is a beginner's model. Again, I have no plan, thus drawing my own from known components.  Plan will be done this comming week and sent out for test build. I will build one myself.

Again I'm so glad somebody commented! Thanks
charlie
PS Just checked and it was Barnett  Kernoff.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:51:45 PM by packardpursuit » Logged
Zeiss Ikon
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »

Any ideas to meet current rubber weight mximum??

So far as I know, rubber weight maximum hasn't changed since the P-30 class was established; it's always been 10 grams (including lubricant), which presently comes to 6 strands of 1/8" Tan SS with 20 inches or so loop length -- suitable for 18" between pegs with a Peck style plastic freewheeler.  Someone recently posted the weights of various rubber sizes in grams per foot, but I don't recall which thread it was on.

I'm here to have fun -- but winning isn't bad, either.
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »

Thanks,
will show18" on the plan. But it's in pencil so I can change it!

Someone asked earlier how Mr. Kernoff produced his ribs. From what I can tell, he had devised tooling that allowed precision stack bandsawing of the ribs. These tools held a block of balsa for for cutting to shape. A template underneath ran against a peg just shy of the bandsaw blade. If there is a bottom camber other than straight, a  second tool was used. Then the block was cut into individual ribs.   I have shaped blocks of the Playboy ribs prior to being cut into individual ribs. It appears the individual ribs were cut on a table saw with very thin blades stacked on a common arbor,six to ten at a time, depending on rib thickness. His cutting required no sanding, in either operation. I did find a few full sheets of die cut ribs of the P-30 wing type. They are identical to the sawn ribs.

I now know I have in excess of  500 salable  P-30 rib sets (about 100 waterstained but still usable), a near equal number of stab ribs for same, and about 56 usable fuselages. A complete model could be built from the plan I'm drawing or use components manufactured by Tyro.

I'm going to be counting the rib sets for Bay Ridge Mike, next. Then the Sr.  Playboy.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »

Digging thru a few more stacks, I came up with the plan/article for the Mike and Al Lidberg "Little Devil" (MA - Feb. '79).  The airfoil is similar to the  noe described, being fairly thick , but with TWO 3/32nd spars on top and a rolled tube fuz.  Maybe an "updated" Jay Dee?

A Dedicated Convert to:

packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »

tymekiller has kindly posted pics of the Jay Dee componets

http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1308016036

any interest at all,
PM me here or at:

[email protected]/com for detils

charlie
thymekiller
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »

Finished the plane and it glides very well.  As soon as weather permits, I will fly it. With proper wood selection and tissue, she might be a tad under weight.  What should a P-39 weigh without rubber? 

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »

40 grams minimum, but some countries have the minimum at 50 grams.  Weights are without rubber (10 gram MAXIMUM including lube).

A Dedicated Convert to:

thymekiller
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

Cool, thanks.  I used a heavy paint and regret it.   She weighs 49 before rubber.   Builders fault, not the kit.  Many mistakes.  Looking back, I could have easily shaved many grams. 
The kit is fine.  One of the nicest nose blocks I have ever seen.  Now I want to try one with rolled tube.   Grin

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »

Throw it into some halfway decent air, and that 9 grams won't mean squat Grin.

A Dedicated Convert to:

thymekiller
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »

Thanks Pit.  I feel kinda bad about it being portly.  Packardpursuit  sent it to me for testing and I should have bought some better wood.   I plan to place an order soon,  but I gotta take care of a couple things first.  The local Hobby Lobby has not restocked for many months now and they are thinking of not selling balsa anymore.   

If anyone wants a kit, just pm Packardpursuit.  Its old school and comes with a premade fuse, ribs, rudder, and nose block/prop assembly.   
I think its under priced for what you get.  [IMO]  Excellent beginners kit and you can modify to your hearts content. 

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »

I WAS thinking about ordering a P-30 or two (including this one), but I'm in the process of digesting the shipping costs for some other kits (that I got a good deal on).  I'll be doing a LOT more scratch building, I'm afraid.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Alan Mkitarian
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »

Hi there,
      Am just now catching up on things and having lost my P-30 at Wawayanda, N.Y. back in June I need a new one...  Is it possiable to purchase one of these semi-kits with ribs and new plans that have been drawn?
                  Thanks for the reply with costs.
                                                 Alan Mkitarian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: