Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 25, 2020, 06:37:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old stuff.  (Read 666 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:11 PM »

A blast from the past.

We found some old pictures from way back last weekend, and the Grand kids were gob smacked to see their Mother (Our Daughter of course.) when she was about 2 and a bit with a power model I'd just built.

It's a Kit Bays Laser Chaser blown up X 5 times from the 1970 magazine it was in. It had my first Rossi Mk2 in it on pen bladder fuel feed. It was F1C legal, and flew quite well until one evening it folded it's 60in span wings. End of that exercise.

I had built a couple of normal size 48in span Chaser's and with a Cox TD.049/.051 and they went really well.  Still have one here unflown for 10 or more years I guess.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Old stuff.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »

The tail plane is bigger than your daughter Cheesy

Gliders are a part of me.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »

Had a friend who built one of those 1\2 A size he really liked it. Didn't DT and away it went.His name is Jerry Fitch who became F1B world champ a few years later. Yours must have been fast with a Rossi on it.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »

Yes John, a massive tailplane indeed. Kit at the moment if you check the NFFS site is doing the next version of the 1970 published plan that it seems has a smaller tail.

I built three 1/2A versions in the early '70s and lost two..... they just flew away. Built the third one in 1973 and it's been laying dormant for about 10 years.

The Rossi one did go like mad, guess that's why it ended up clapping it's wings. Shocked
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »

Old stuff? This pic ex Aeromodeller, taken by Ron Moulton) from the 1964 ('63?) British Nationals at Barkston Heath. Caption incorrect in that it had a Dooling .29 rather than an Eta; the bizarre covering pattern was due to my wiping out the thing the previous day which left one tip attached to half a wing by a solitary spruce spar. Worked through the night rebuilding the panel around it and used whatever tissue I had with me or could scrounge from others. Doped and proofed it in my hotel room with window wide open ... and had a brief conversation with a Sleaford cop sometime after dawn but that's another story ...... Grin
Re: Old stuff.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 240

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

This is way kewl! Love seeing photos of what was. Memories Smiley

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »

1982 at the Trans Tasman in Kaiapoi near Christ Church New Zealand,

Model was an ORCA Rossi power.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:23:12 PM by Ratz » Logged
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:01:49 PM »

Thanks Ratz..... looks much better than what I put on. Your far smarter than me in cleaning it up.  Thanks again. Smiley

I have heaps of old power ones here if anyone is interested?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »

Swiss Miss with beam mount Elfin 2.49, built in 1955 hanging in 1955 in the electrickery wires where we used to fly then.

The photo was taken by a newspaper photographer and was in the next paper during the week.
The model blew down later that day and went on some months later to be lost OOS. Got it back 2 weeks later after the cattle fixed it up. Built a 2nd one with an Oliver Tiger in it, that did well for me winning and placing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: