Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 30, 2020, 12:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Satellite 320 build!  (Read 2386 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:53:54 AM »

Well, to add a new topic to the pwr. forum I'm in the middle of building a 320 GLH Satellite with Cyclone 049 pwr. Attached are pictures of the bones ready to cover. Didn't realize I was out of Polyspan so will have to wait on shipment. Shooting for 8 1/2-9 oz. finished weight. I hope this one trims out and flys as well as the 226 I built last winter!

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Satellite 320 build!
Satellite 320 build!
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »

Looks good Scott, but how do we know that these aren't just photos of your old 226? Wink

I saw a picture of the original Satellite 1000 with the fin on the stab, the versions with the fin behind the stab look so much more modern and "right" somehow.

I must try to build a 320 square inch power model down to 8 1/2 oz!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »

8 1/2 oz!

Shouldn't be a problem. My Applehoney320's weigh in new at about 9 ounces dry and they're solidly built, with full 'union-jack' geodetics. One was silked and no heavier than the tissue covered version. A backplate mount for the TD.09 helps a lot, eliminating a standard commercial mount or .. ugh.. bearers.

However the diesel version is heavier, carrying a PAW 1.5BB on the front - not exactly a lightweight engine
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »

Scott, you are such a good builder and fast too.I know this is off topic but have you ever thought of building a GYSOB they came in lots of sizes. One of the best models ever designed
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:32:55 AM »

Just about finished with the covering and fuselage fuel proofing, should have pics Monday! I covered the stab with Microlite (very light). Wing is covered with Polyspan for rigidity. I added 3/4" to the nose to compensate for moving the rudder to the rear. Bruce, I'm not familiar with the GYSOB airplane. Any Chance you can post some pics. or let me know where I can look at some plans. What does GYSOB stand for? Adam ,kind of hard to tell in the bare bones state if it's the 226 or 320!!! You'll see quite a difference when finished.

Scott
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »

What does GYSOB stand for?

"GO, you ........ "

Or so it is reputed.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »

I have the plans for the C Gysob and the B I think it was called Mysob if I could get your address I'll send them. Yes Applehoney is right "go you sob" and the other is "move you sob". He one more call Hysob the H is for higher I believe it was a 1\2A. The designer was Ed Bellinger his artical is in Model Builder July 1976.The Gysob set the class C recored two or three times. I'll look for the three view.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »

As promised a day late! Hear are the finished pics. of the Satellite 320 GLH build. Finished weight came in at 8.75 ozs. (248.5 grs.). Also attached is a side/side pic with the 226 Satellite for size comparison for the ones that are interested. By the looks of what lies ahead of us for the winter months there will not be any trimming for a while!#$%&*

Scott
Re: Satellite 320 build!
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 12:33:15 PM »

Nice Satelllite... I like the colors also! Did you use Klascote for the fuel proofing?

I can tell you have flown Satellite's before. The first one that I ever saw was at the  Lake Charles La.Nats... the Hunters were flying them and seemed to have done well.

What was cool was seeing a C size doing a ROW...

Have Fun....
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:44 PM »

Craig, finished fus. with Z-Poxy cut 50% with denatured alcohol from firewall to 1" behind pylon. remaining fus 5 coats of butyrate dope cut 50%. Wing is Polyspan with 4 coats of 50/50 butyrate dope.

Scott
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 02:20:02 PM »

fus 5 coats of butyrate dope cut 50%.

How much nitro will you be using Scott?

I must admit I have little faith in butyrate either as a finish or a proofer, but just a personal opinion.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »

Jim, all of my pwr. ship fuselages are finished this way. The initial application of Z-poxy is applied over the entire fuselage, than lightly sanded. I than apply the 5 coats of dope to the fuselage from the pylon back to the tail. When that's all done I apply a second coat of Z-poxy to the front of the fuse, i.e. fire wall to 1" behind the pylon. So far the results are very good! As far as the wing is concerned, most of the engine residue are oils and not pure nitro and it wipes off very well with a little help from Windex! But I have accidentally splashed some raw fuel on the bottom of the wing and if you don't wipe it off right away it will do it's thing to the dope. (35% nitro).

Scott
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »

Interesting. I haven't come across Z-poxy before but will look out for it now and try it on the fuselage .. but perhaps as a top coat as I use nitrate dope for finishing.  Previously have used Black Baron or Topflite LustreKote with multiple spraying around the nose area and then rub-downs and further applications as required when the surface starts to craze. Using up to 65% nitro in 'modern' engines tends to hit the proofer hard.

Agreed, wings are little problem unless one gets careless ... or a pacifier bursts when the model happens to be upside down!

Once lost a 1/2A in the flyoff at a British Nationals. It was found and I drove down to a farm to collect it a couple weeks later .. it had been placed upon an old magazine on the back of a very plush sofa with the pacifier still swollen with fuel. I picked it up very gingerly, so glad it hadn't burst and ruined that piece of furniture; I imagine my reception would not have been as welcoming in that instance!
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »

Jim, Z-poxy comes as a regular bonding epoxy also. Make sure you look for the finishing epoxy. Cut it with Denatured Alcohol to you're liking. Like I said I usually go 50/50. I tried it on the bottom of a broken wing that was covered with Polyspan and dope and it covered it well but tends to dry with a yellow tint to it!!!! If you where covering something with color it would be great. I have covered some fus's that where either painted with Lustercoat or covered with tissue and it looked fine. Just the white color gets the yellowish tint to it. Jim, my R'rod 600 is finished this way, Pic attached.

Scott
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »

Well, finally got a chance to fly the 320 Satellite last night and the results where well beyond my expectations Shocked Smiley First test flight with 3 second motor run was picture perfect, slight right hand turn, just like Satellites do, transition to glide flat, glide great for short time before DT'g. All flights are with an 049 cyclone on 35% nitro at full pwr. Second flight set timer for 4-5 seconds and 2 min. DT, same results and maxed at 2 min's. Did not even have to tweak anything at all not even the glide turn Shocked Grin This 320 Satellite with the 049 Cyclone is a 1/2A classic contender! Here come the Nats.!!!

Scott
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »

They don't come out that way very often, Scott, well done!

At least for me they don't.................

Gliders are a part of me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: