Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:01:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Half Size Wakefield Models  (Read 16383 times)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »

This is the H.P.Sportster that Dave is talking about.

He's tempting me to build another one this winter.     He'd do it next week, of course........  Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Half Size Wakefield Models
bjrn
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »

In 1992 Aeromodeller had an article and plan for a Half Jaguar. The plan and article are in the plan gallery here.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2016, 05:11:27 PM »

Yes, and Gordon built that one from the plans and it flew right off the board and one of the Canadian gang members was flying one at the last Empire State Meet
and it too flew very well...
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »

John Davies who published the 1/2 size Jaguar is still activey flying and is one of our fliers in Nova Scotia

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »

Both the TYKE and the RED SWAN do not qualify for FAC 1/2 Size Wakefield because they are post-1950 cut off date...Bob Copland kitted a box fuselage version of his streamliner series called the "Masterplane" and I drew it up recently and will build one this winter...I've been flying a Rene Jossein "SIMPLET" recently, it is a beginners version of his "le Vibrant" and it is early days yet but seems to fly okay...a little directionally unstable because of the small fin area but seems to like thermals when it catches one and so far it behaves itself...I gave up on the "Voo Doo" and the "Tangney"...still using carved props after trying plastic ones and the carved ones suit my flying style better which is 4 or 6 strands of 1/8" rubber braided...Gordon did experience the upside down flight of his Jaguar a few times but that seems to be a characteristic of this design and I don't think Laurie Barr had that happen to him flying the full size version...anybody out there have it happen to them?
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2016, 01:12:30 PM »

Jaguar - I've seen it happen.   I think the model may be okay when flown in very wide circles but is prone to rolling onto its back if such are tightened up.

No responses to the suggestion for a more open class of small models?     I'd go for it.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »

...I gave up on the "Voo Doo" and the "Tangney"...

Why's that? I haven't ever tried a Voodoo, but it looks on paper like there shouldn't be a bad habit in it. I'm still flying my Tangney after what, 3 years? It's been a flawless performer without fail. Flew it on 6 strands a few times and it was an absolute rocket, but since we don't have half wake contests around here, I just fly it on 4 strands and enjoy its sedate floating habits. It's a 2 minute airplane.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »

Firstly, the small model idea REALLY appeals to me as long as we can use a folding prop on it and no weight limit...we are talking about high performance small models in the 20" span range, no weight or rubber restrictions, enclosed rubber to keep the "stick" models out and 90 to 120 sec. maxes and no ROG...am I right?...I'm glad Maxout likes the Tangney because it is beautiful and ticks off all the boxes...maybe what we are driving at is a full blown miniature Wakefield...10 grams of rubber in a 1/2 size 'wake really gets up there...we all have to face the fact that large fields are at a premium but the urge to fly high powered models will never go away for a duration flyer no matter how much whinning we do... a case  in point would be flying a Unlimited at Geneseo...you would have to have very calm conditions to keep it out of the beans/corn at 3 minutes...at Muncie this summer, I saw a 6 minute Unlimited flight that was a real eye-strainer even on that field...but what a pleasure it is to see a model flying a long time on the field...I had a 13 minute Embryo flight last weekend over our field and just laid down on the grass and watched it go out of sight directly over head...I really miss that Embryo (Embryonic Elf) and will build another soon...maybe this thread should have its own subject
so we can flesh this thing out? 
modler
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

FAC member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »

Hello Isis, is the Embryonic Elf plan available? Or post a picture?

Bill

Old model building joke: "Build two identical sides!!!"
LynnM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2016, 10:26:36 PM »

I flew my half Korda wakefield on Sunday at the GGG in Geneseo figuring that in that wind one flight would win it for me, then I could go home.
Robert Blair test flew his Jaguar, He crashed it, breaking the longerons in the nose. My plan was intact. It was not to be though, He fixed it and   put up a 55 second flight, 3 seconds longer than mine! The Shootout in the wind was on! In the end we were scrapping over second and third places, Jim De Tar put in three good flights , including an on field max to win. These airplanes are robust enough to fly in conditions I would'nt consider just for fun!

Lynn
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2016, 12:15:54 AM »

...I gave up on the "Voo Doo" and the "Tangney"...

Why's that? I haven't ever tried a Voodoo, but it looks on paper like there shouldn't be a bad habit in it. I'm still flying my Tangney after what, 3 years? It's been a flawless performer without fail. Flew it on 6 strands a few times and it was an absolute rocket, but since we don't have half wake contests around here, I just fly it on 4 strands and enjoy its sedate floating habits. It's a 2 minute airplane.

PAPERHEAD!!
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2016, 08:18:42 AM »

The Armes Wake pictured a few times on this page is really interesting.

Anyone have ideas on where to find plans and/or other info?

Regards-
Dave

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »

What does that comment signify, OTF Huh
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »

I don't know the Armes 'wake...the Embryonic Elf drawing needs further refining before I let it go...there is a full size Elf on the Embryo thread but here's my Embryo version of it :
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »

I don't know the Armes 'wake...the Embryonic Elf drawing needs further refining before I let it go...there is a full size Elf on the Embryo thread but here's my Embryo version of it :

Since there is a swastika on the tail and the designer's name is (apparently) German, I'm guessing it's a WW2-era (probably prior to 1940) Wakefield.

My google-fu has been mostly unsuccessful, so my guess is that this is a rather esoteric subject.

Cheers-
Dave
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2016, 07:37:58 AM »

What does that comment signify, OTF Huh

Considering that I've literally never had a positive interaction with him, I suspect it was another attempt at an insult.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »

Firstly, the small model idea REALLY appeals to me as long as we can use a folding prop on it and no weight limit...we are talking about high performance small models in the 20" span range, no weight or rubber restrictions, enclosed rubber to keep the "stick" models out and 90 to 120 sec. maxes and no ROG...am I right?...I'm glad Maxout likes the Tangney because it is beautiful and ticks off all the boxes...maybe what we are driving at is a full blown miniature Wakefield...10 grams of rubber in a 1/2 size 'wake really gets up there...

I dunno. The proliferation of model flying classes is hotly debated and for good reason. I for one wouldn't want to see the minimum weight go away in Half Wake because then it would just become an Embryo event for Oldtimers, and pretty soon we'd have 10-15 g models floating around and it would be basically Embryo with a limited list of eligible designs. I've pretty much seen this happen since long before there was a Half Wake event, there were Half Wakes flying in embryo (and doing quite well, I might add). We also have to address the problem of class proliferation in another regard--even Half Wake isn't crazily popular. I tried to drum up interest in TTOMA and it went over like a lead balloon. Not saying that it's not a popular class, because it is, but it's not hugely so. As such, one could surmise that a spin-off event would be somewhat premature.

There's nothing stopping you, however, from building a legit, minimum weight Half Wake with a folding prop and such. I did so many years ago and had a lot of fun (and got a lesson in how poorly Korda's airfoils scale down!).
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »

Re. "Armes Wake":
Sam 35 Plans - Rubber, lists an Armes 1937 Wake 87/7P17.  Might be the one.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: October 05, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »

I still don't know what we are talking about here in regards to the insult or swastika thing...I thought we as modelers were beyond that...I think I have to agree with Maxout about the 1/2 size 'Wake thing...we should leave it alone as is...and yes, it isn't that popular yet so we'll have to see where it goes...if I had a field to support a full size 1950's Wakefield, I'd build one and fly it every chance I got...the interesting thing is that Embryo and 1/2 size 'wakes are very similar in appearance and performance when built to the same weight but I would lean towards Embryo for sheer potential because if you build it down to 16 to 18 grams you had better light that fuse/set that timer every flight !
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: October 05, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »

I still don't know what we are talking about here in regards to the insult or swastika thing...I thought we as modelers were beyond that...I think I have to agree with Maxout about the 1/2 size 'Wake thing...we should leave it alone as is...and yes, it isn't that popular yet so we'll have to see where it goes...if I had a field to support a full size 1950's Wakefield, I'd build one and fly it every chance I got...the interesting thing is that Embryo and 1/2 size 'wakes are very similar in appearance and performance when built to the same weight but I would lean towards Embryo for sheer potential because if you build it down to 16 to 18 grams you had better light that fuse/set that timer every flight !

Please don't confuse my questions about the Armes wake (with a swastika) with Oltime Flyer's comments to Josh.

I just think the Armes is super-interesting!!

-Dave

skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »

Thanks...I'll check it out but my copies of SAM-35 only goes back to 1992 but I'll keep looking...it is just staggering how many 8 oz. Wakefields are out there prior to 1950...I have a note book full of U.S., England, France, Germany, Australia and Scandinavia 3-views and still uncovering more each month...one of my flying friends is building modern Wakefields half size and I built a Lother Doring "Espada" a couple of years ago and had a lot of fun with it...
Brian J Y
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »

I'll scan the 3 view tomorrow and send it to you. It is an un-dimensioned 3-view from a French magazine but does have some info re span and prop diameter. I think it indicates it was drawn by no less then E. Fillon!

Brian
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »

I'll scan the 3 view tomorrow and send it to you. It is an un-dimensioned 3-view from a French magazine but does have some info re span and prop diameter. I think it indicates it was drawn by no less then E. Fillon!

Brian

The Armes wake?

That would be great ... I can't find diddly online.

-Dave
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »

Herewith
dosco
Gold Member