Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 03:42:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Half Size Wakefield Models  (Read 16373 times)
sparkle
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »

Hi PIT, good to hear that the seed is sewn! On my last mini wake, I joined the wings on with the tried and true, wire in tube method. This one is more like a box/cabin model, so i am making it a one piece model. I think Tom,(Flugziod) is trying the traditional spar in box method. Very brave!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 03:56:41 AM »

The seed has actually sprouted Grin.  I WON'T be anywhere near as fast as youse guys 'cause I've got too many irons in the fire - including a couple of Rats (Hangar type) and the builds for clubmates.  Wood is being gathered and the fuz fixture has been dusted off. 

>>>^<<<

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
sparkle
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »

Good To Hear
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »

I guess I have missed the bandwagon....what years does this cover?
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »

1937 thru 1952. It's never too late to hop onto this bandwagon.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »

Anyone know how popular this event was at the Non-Nats recently?

Thanks
 Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »

I don't but I expect in a little while we will hear from somebody that DOES know.

I expect it had several try it.
craig h
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »

Does the wood size have to be the same as the full size model....or can you choose the size of wood to use for the model...etc: ribs,leading edge,trailing edge and so on? Wood prop are plastic?

Thanks
scrubs
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »

Dave,
I expect you've seen the latest FAC issue already but there were 7 entries.

Craig,
Do a search on 1/2 Wakefield and the rules will pop up. Wood sizes are 1/2 of the original I believe. Mods for DT and rib spacing on originals with 1" spacing on 1/32 ribs are two of the few changes allowed.

One of the guys in our group has been talking about us doing a winter build of them. At an oz. minimum with roughly the same wing area as a embryo they would be nice for our small field.

Anybody here one of the 7 entries? If so how did you like the event?
scrubs
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »

scrubs,
No, I'm not getting the FAC NEWS anymore. Chose to spend my $ on materials instead.
I found this though-
http://www.flyingacesclub.com/TOTF%20NON-SCALE%20RESULTS.pdf
Scroll down to the bottom.

Dave Andreski

craig h
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »

Thank you for the reply...I have read the rules and I understand that the prop has to be fixed and free wheel...now if the plans show a single blade prop does it have to have a fixed single blade or can a regular pastic prop be used. I would perfer a wood prop of course.
 I hope to build one when permitted for I have a small field near me.

Thanks Again...
 I hope more get into this.
scrubs
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 11:08:41 PM »

Craig,
From what I've seen of the rules no folder or single blader can be used regardless of what's shown on the plan. Typical FAC setup it seems.

Dave,
I've debated continuing it also. I have enough plans to last ten lifetimes and I don't compete so it makes it king of moot.
scrubs
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »

I was at THE FAC OUTDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS IN Muncie and Dave sold many kits for this supcoming event. I don't know how many exactly but it looks to be a very popular kit  based on kit sales by  easy built.   Cool Cool Cool Grin
scrubs
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »

Can anyone point me to the current 1/2 wake rules? There are some pics and a list of eligible models on the FAC website but nothing I've seen on rules. Thanks in advance.

scrubs
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »

Bill,
Look at 'Announcements', 'New Wakefield List'. Rules have been suspended from the site until the 'council' votes on adopting the event.
Dave Andreski

scrubs
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »

Thanks Dave, I had missed that. I also chucked the FAC newsie they were in. There's been a number of half size wake plans from Aeromodeller posted on RC groups. Most look like they've probably had structural changes. I was looking at the Zombie as a possible candidate. Would be nice to know if it was legal just in case. They'll probably announce the rules two months before Geneseo. :-/

scrubs
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »

You're right Bill,
That's probably what they'll do IF they get around to it at all.
Dave Andreski

skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »

The dates are 1937 thru 1950....As far as I know, the Red Swan does not qualify but it is a fine flyier... Gordon Roberts built one from my plans...I believe 7 flew at the Non-Nats in 2011...I have about 25, 1/2 size plans drawn and have built 9 of them...the 50 square inch note was for example only in relation to Embryo Endurance and obviously is not a rule...same goes for the 1/16" sq. example...you may use a plastic prop of the right diameter and may use a conventional two blade prop in place of a single blader...so far, 4 strands of 1/8" seems to haul them up pretty well with 8" to 9" props using a 1.25 p/d
scrubs
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »

Finishing up my first 1/2 wake a Tyke. Probably not legal since I use the single wheel, twin under fin shown in the article but not on the plan. No ballast box was shown but this thing is going to require a ton of it. As it sits now with all the parts, doped, with Peck prop it's 20 gms. And I used heavy wood. ONly thing missing from that 20 gms is the prop hook. So I'm looking at adding nearly a 1/4 oz. of ballast. Hate to do it.  Roll Eyes

Have you other 1/2 wake builders run across the same thing that they come out so far under weight?

scrubs
scrubs
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »

The dates are 1937 thru 1950....As far as I know, the Red Swan does not qualify but it is a fine flyier... Gordon Roberts built one from my plans...I believe 7 flew at the Non-Nats in 2011...I have about 25, 1/2 size plans drawn and have built 9 of them...the 50 square inch note was for example only in relation to Embryo Endurance and obviously is not a rule...same goes for the 1/16" sq. example...you may use a plastic prop of the right diameter and may use a conventional two blade prop in place of a single blader...so far, 4 strands of 1/8" seems to haul them up pretty well with 8" to 9" props using a 1.25 p/d
I guess the rules must have changed? The list of qualified models I have dated 8/24/11 shows the Red Swan and also my Tyke which is also not legal being from 1952. Was on the list last year tho.  Undecided

scrubs
scrubs
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »

Hey Dave,
Looks like you lost a few on that list of plans you drew due to the date change. Any idea why that was done?

scrubs
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »

scrubs,
I'm anxious to see your 'TYKE'. Pics soon?
20gms for a 22" Model is pretty darn good.
Dave Andreski

Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »

The rule regarding legal props is rather interesting-
"E. Prop: Rigid free-wheeling propellers only. No feathering or folding props. 1 or 2 bladed rigid props of
wood or plastic shall be permitted."
Anyone know how a 'rigid' 1 bladed prop would FREEWHEEL? Never seen one. Anybody?

Thanks,
Dave Andreski

skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »

The rigid single-bladed freewheeler prop I use on my Mick Farthing 1942 lightweight works very well indeed...goes up like gangbusters just like the original was suppose to have done...according to reports i've read, it went up like a heliocopter...I had thought about using a two blader because I've never tried a single blader, but not to worry...as advertized...I'll try a single blader on the "Dusty mk.VIII" half-size 'wake and see what happens...
scrubs
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 09:42:56 PM »

scrubs,
I'm anxious to see your 'TYKE'. Pics soon?
20gms for a 22" Model is pretty darn good.
Dave Andreski

Only if I post blurry ones from a distance. Since I was sooo far off on the weight I added another coat of dope on the fuselage. Main reason was I thought I could even up the crummy doping job I did. Seems like with this ultra low humidity and 80's temps the dope dries as the brush hits the model. Bah!

Now that it's not legal I probably won't balast it to an oz. altho that might teach me something about how the 1/2 wakes will fly on just a hair over 50 square inches of wing.

scrubs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: