Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 11:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wilga Wannabee  (Read 1076 times)
Dave W
Bronze Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

George Benson (of Marin Aero Club) designed a Bostonian called the Wilga Wannabee about 15 years ago. I don't know if the plan was ever distributed beyond our local club, and I've never seen any examples of the design that have been built. George gave me a copy of his plan about a year ago and I decided to give it a try.

I haven't built this model exactly according to the plan. George specifies 1/20 balsa for most of the structure, but I've generally used 1/16 except for the spar (1/32 as per spec) and tail (1/20). And while the plan shows cracked-rib construction, I decided to use a turbulator instead of building-up curved ribs in front of the spar, and I've omitted the carved foam wingtips. Building the wing this way seemed easier.

This photo shows my progress to date.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Wilga Wannabee
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »

Dave,
   Pretty cool!
   The "WILGA" is a 'Polish' aircraft correct?

Dave Andreski
Re: Wilga Wannabee

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »

Lets see if I can post the Wilga 1 in 2 parts. NOT very scale!

Dave Andreski

Dave W
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »

Dave, you're correct that the Wilga is a Polish design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL-104_Wilga

Thank you for posting the 3-view and the model plan. I haven't been able to find much documentation on the original (1962) Wilga 1. There is a fair amount of info online related to the newer Wilgas. I like how the design has evolved into the current Wilga PZL 104. To me, it is so ugly it's beautiful. I know that George Benson has an affinity for odd-looking aircraft, too.

I've never seen that model plan before. What is the span? The design obviously has some similarities (and differences) compared to the Bostonian plan I'm using. Fortunately, scale discrepancies don't matter when a full size plane is interpreted as a Bostonian.

Thanks again,
Dave W
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:07:46 PM by DaveW » Logged
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »

Hi Dave,
  The wingspan measures 13 1/8". I guess it could have started life as a P-Nut.
 The plan is from a book published in Poland and sent to me several years ago by a fellow modeler.
 He sent two books, one on Indoor FF, and one on Outdoor FF. The info in each is beautifully illustrated. The drawings are superb.

I have a plan for the PZL-104 with text in Japanese. Would you like it? The vintage plan section of RC Groups has a plan for the PZL 35 originally published in Aeromodeller.

Dave Andreski

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »

The Poles seem to have a penchant for fine draughting.  I first came across it in 1950 when I joined the Vickers drawing office where there were two Poles - both were good.  I remember one did the draughting for the cockpit windows on the Viscount.  It may sound trivial but just think about it a bit longer, the odd shaped panels merging into the curved fuselage.  I guess some of you who do greenhouses on scale models will appreciate it.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Dave W
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:48 AM »

Dave, I would like the PZL 104 plan, can you email it to me? ([email protected])

I have the PZL 35 plan you mentioned. Do you know what size that model is? I couldn't find the scale on the plan (except for the wood dimensions).

Thanks,
Dave W
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »

Hi Dave,
  I'll get the plan to you this morning.
 Outerzone-   http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=789   has the '35' plan at 36".  I think that's wrong. I beleive it's about 28.5". The .5cc ( .030 cu. in.) diesel would be hard pressed to haul a 36" SCALE/HEAVY  airframe around. I may be wrong though.
  I just realized that the PZL 104 IS the WILGA 35! Embarrassed

Dave Andreski
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:36:02 AM by Dave Andreski » Logged

Dave W
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »

Plan received, thank you Dave. I guess the Japanese plan is a peanut?

I noticed on the Japanese plan it says "PZL 104 Wilga 35" but Wikipedia suggests the 35 and the 104 are not necessarily the exact same thing. [I know Wikipedia isn't always completely accurate, but it's free.] Apparently the PZL 104 is a post 1998 variant with different engine and improved aerodynamics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL-104_Wilga
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »

Dave,
  All I know is what I found this morning and that wasn't very much. Like you, I also think there are some differences but until I look into it further I'll remain confused.
  Judging by the lack of lumber shown on the Japanese plan I think it is a P-Nut.

EDIT- I'll say this much, the only one I'd ever attempt to build would be the Wilga 1 from the plan I posted in reply #2.

Dave Andreski

dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »

George Benson (of Marin Aero Club) designed a Bostonian called the Wilga Wannabee about 15 years ago. I don't know if the plan was ever distributed beyond our local club, and I've never seen any examples of the design that have been built. George gave me a copy of his plan about a year ago and I decided to give it a try.

Any plans to post this in the plans gallery?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: