Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 27, 2020, 06:57:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dixielander 50 Year Celebration 2009  (Read 3567 times)
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »

I increased the rake angle on the pylon to give me a bit more room for the tank - which is between the front bulkhead and the pylon.

Bad vibration has killed my interest in this model, so it hasn't flown since '02. Maybe it'd make a good candidate for electric??

CG is 1" aft of the wing trailing edge. Other than the vibration it flew very well.

JB
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Dixielander 50 Year Celebration 2009

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2009, 06:23:33 PM »

Vibration? Is that the way those engines were? Or is it the prop?
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 07:46:46 PM »

I think the Cox had a bit of a reputation for vibration, Gos.
There's probably a bit of a 'poor build' factor in there, too - I built it pretty quickly.

It's not the prop., though, I'm pretty careful about those.
John

Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »

You are right about the COX 15 it is a vibrator Angry Jon Fletcher has a dixie powered by a Cox 15 and you could shave a beard with the edge of the piston Shocked top end heavy.
Love your trim on the Dixie you built Glidermaster, it has inspired me!

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 07:57:35 AM »

We have the first photo of the Dixielander Flyin held in West Australia on the weekend of August 30. They had 10 models present but after some prangs only 8 were still in one piece to put in official flights. Yep that is their flying field.
The boys on the East coast have their flyin this coming weekend and it is reputed that about 18 will turn up. More photos to follow.

Ployd in OZ

Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »

Hello All
Well, the Dixielander weekend for the East coast of Australia has been run and done and we attracted 19 starters, they all flew and only 2 were rekitted.
Weather was perfect; light rain all day Saturday with little or no drift (very wet underfoot) and overcast with little or no drift on the Sunday morning.
Engine choice was varied and ranged from Rothwell 150 diesel (Olly Cub copy) to OS 15's of all descriptions, PAW 1.5's and 2.5's, COX TD15's and a Russian UCKTAM 1.5 glow with a pipe Shocked
All participants qualified for a personally autographed tee shirt from George Fuller. We will be doing it all again next year and including the Stomper and Zoot Suit designs to make it a Fuller (pun) weekend.

Ployd in OZ

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »

That sounds great Ployd.
Who won?
Which model in the pic had the piped engine?

One model to the far right seems to have union jack construction on wing and tail, which is probably not a bad modification, if a little questionable on the design fidelity front!

Sandra Drew once said that if there was prize for having the most fun flying free flight, George Fuller would ALWAYS win. I'm sure he's having a great time hearing accounts of all the Dixielander flying going on right now.

John

Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »

Hi Glidemaster

Answers are as follows:
The far end Dixie (red, white and blue model with orange tips) belongs to Jon Fletcher, ex pom, and it is a geodetic wing and stab. Power is a very much internally modified COX TD 15 with a Nelson plug head (photo of head on my website under Fletcher products).

Next is a photo of Terry Bond's piped Dixie under going a plug change (will be converted to Nelson head).

Next is the winning model by Vin Morgan. More or less standard Dixie powered by an OS15 FP. Unique is the the fact that it has an electronic timer driving 2 micro servos that operate the engine cut out and DT concealed within the fuselage. 2 other models also used OZ made two function electronic timers.

Next is my model again not standard in having extra ribs in the wing and stab (our rules were a little more lax than those followed at the English event, you could do pretty well what you liked with the structure BUT no sheeted surfaces which ruled out dee box wings and stabs).

Lastly the go department for my model. Modified OS15 FP with Nelson plug and carbon 8 x 3.75 prop. Engine cut out is a variation of control line cut out and is operated by a F1C Seelig timer.

Ployd in OZ

RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »

Sandra Drew once said that if there was prize for having the most fun flying free flight, George Fuller would ALWAYS win. I'm sure he's having a great time hearing accounts of all the Dixielander flying going on right now.

3 weeks ago he was flying an E30 electric Dixielander, which never got more than 50 ft. high. One flight went straight into a streamer pole, and the only one that could have maxed d/t'd 5 secs early. Despite all that, and the fact that he's not 100 percent healthy, he seemed to enjoy himself twice as much as anyone else there. Unstoppable!

Robin

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

I remember in about the late 80's he had what appeared to be a standard Dixie with an OS35 in it, and it got a lot higher than 50 ft.

At the nats a certain ex-control line flier was bragging how his Slow Open Model was the fastest thing on the field (this was in the day when you could use up to a .60 in Slow Open!). Then George flew his OS35 Dixie, and the ex-control line guy went quiet all of a sudden.

George would approve of the piped model in Oz. He LOVED tuned pipes.

JB

danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »

Denny Dock has been flying Dixielanders with flat bottom wings and modern engines. He HAS added geodetic ribs. The big one has a 6 or 7.5 K&B. It is some kinda impressive.
RobinB
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2009, 05:24:42 AM »

At yesterday's last Area competition of the year, there was a picture of the Western Australia Dixielander flyers taped to the CD's table, along with the picture (from you, PLloyd?) of one with a ramjet on top of the wing!

George is thinking about another contest for all the published Fuller designs.

Robin

John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »

Dave Hipperson wrote a series of articles in Aeromodeller in the mid 90's - A Cautious Return to F/F Power (or something like that), and it was framed around building a Dixie for an AM35 diesel. Of the 2 I've built, I have to say I got in some difficulty getting the engine bearers, and pylon together with a tank big enough for more than about 20 secs of fuel, and the Hipperson articles are very good in this particular respect. I can copy/scan if it would of help.

I think I might have these articles somewhere in my workshop but cannot find at the moment so would you be able to copy/scan them for me John, as Jim kindly copied and sent me the plan which has got me thinking about building it for next year. I have a PAW 2.5 that I could use for power

John
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »

I got in some difficulty getting the engine bearers, and pylon together with a tank big enough for more than about 20 secs of fuel

True enough, 7.5cc is enough if you get a quick start and release ... However it's not writ in stone that the tank has to be that size, or fit neatly between the fuselage sides as shown on the plan. A larger tank could be mounted on the side of the fuselage - ugly but practical - but better to be between bearers and protruding through a side, with a soft balsa fairing around it.

Photo's not a Dixie, of course ... but on of the only two models I have that are fitted with hard tanks, as fitted with diesels. This one was an interesting assembly with a rear induction engine mated up to a timer on one side and a tank through the other, and fuel line length kept to a minimum
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »

John,

Yes, I have the Hipperson Aeromodeller articles scanned - send me an email address (PM is good), and I will forward them.

John

John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »

Thanks John have sent you a message offline with my e-mail address.
Ivanhoe

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »

I built a Dixielander from the original Aeromodeller plan when it was first published, as far as I remember I put an AM 25 (only engine I could afford back then) in it, and it still climbed like a homesick angel!

Really upsets me to realise that was 50 years ago!
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »

Hi

latest model ready to trim ... 14oz, Tissue over 10micron mylar and a Norvel PB, Nelson Head on pressure.

Cheers

Mike
RobinB
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »

Nice.
Latex balloon looks quite short - how much can you pump into it?
Robin

mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:54 AM »

Robin

I push 20cc in on .15 motors and 25cc in on .19 motors.  The tubing is from TexasTimers.  I use the same system on all my glow motors.  Works pretty well.

Gives a run of about 35 secs off the top of my head ... enough for 15 second start up and fiddle, flight then flood off

I think the piece of tube is about 1.5" long when I start to build the bladder.

Cheers

Mike
ddock
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2011, 10:58:18 PM »

VERY nice Dixie...Makes me want to start cutting!!
DD
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »

My DIXIELANDER build in 1998 from a Yeoman kit. Engine 1,5 ccm MVVS.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 01:50:53 PM »

Nice Heinz!
How did it go?

Rare to see a 1.5cc in a Dixielander. Dixies in the UK contained some pretty big motors - designer George Fuller himself had a standard size one with a .35 in it, John West had a standard sized version with a G.15 (and described trimming as 'envigorating'). No auto surfaces, either!

The best, most successful combo. (I think) was with a Cox Special - light and lively (if you fed it the right amount of nitro - i.e. over 30%).

John

Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

My first Dixie (first model larger than a 1/2A) used a cox special 2.5 cc with bladder tank and modified camera timer. The model was very light and quick but those TD engines vibrated something fierce!

Tony
-was it really 30 years ago?? :'(

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »

John, I used a 1,5 ccm engine for the former german class F1C-X.

Tony, in the early fiftys we used "Autoknips" timer.

I have used this timer on my first power model "Swiss Miss" in 1957.

Heinz
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:31:08 PM by hastf1b » Logged

F1B is o.k.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: