Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 14, 2020, 06:30:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dixielander 50 Year Celebration 2009  (Read 3628 times)
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »

I agree Tony, about the Cox Special. I still have a Dixielander with a Cox, and I've stopped flying it because of the vibration. On your other point, only you can say if it really was 30 years ago!

I have several timers with Autoknips movements - mostly my Dad's, but one is in a F1C, which dates back even further than Tony's Dixielander, and another in a ETA 29 open model - the fuselage of which dates back to 1966, and the timer still runs beautifully. Dad died in '92, but I have flown both these models from time to time since.

You can still pick them up on eBay for under $20.

John

p.s. I just took the attached pictures - the first time this model has been put together for better part of 10 years!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Dixielander 50 Year Celebration 2009

Gliders are a part of me.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

That looks familiar John! Except that mine was covered in boring all orange tissue (double covered on the bottom of the wing).

Tony
-yes it was 30 years ago! Shocked Roll Eyes

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »

yes it was 30 years ago

I have to say that I'm impressed with under 10 year old boys flying Cox powered Dixielanders Wink
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »

I started young, but not quite that young! I think I built my cox powered Dixie when I was 14 or 15. First F1C at 16. Made my first Canadian team (F1C) at 17.

Tmat

F1B guy...
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »

I started young, but not quite that young! I think I built my cox powered Dixie when I was 14 or 15. First F1C at 16. Made my first Canadian team (F1C) at 17.

Tmat

My memory is a bit hazy.   Were you at the OZ WC in '83 or was it Yugo '85 or both?   Can remember you flew power, and we did speak briefly at processing.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »

Holy Cow! on the team at 17, Tony, way to go!
I built my first power model when I was about 11, my first Dixie when I was 13, and started F1C when I was 20. I never made a team (was reserve '85), never won anything in fact, and quit winless in '94 at nearly 40. However, I am dabbling again in F1C, and with so few flying, surely I can win something this time!

Back to Dixielanders, quick  Cheesy

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »

Gossie,
I was at Burgos in '81, Oz in '83 and Livno in '85 for F1C.

This year in Argentina marked my 10th W/C participation! (F1C and F1B)

Tony

F1B guy...
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »

Ah I feel better now, it was both Oz & Yugo.  Memory still working.

Have never built a..............HuhHuh? What were we talking about?
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »

We have the first photo of the Dixielander Flyin held in West Australia on the weekend of August 30. They had 10 models present but after some prangs only 8 were still in one piece to put in official flights. Yep that is their flying field.
The boys on the East coast have their flyin this coming weekend and it is reputed that about 18 will turn up. More photos to follow.

Ployd in OZ
Thanks for posting this Peter it was a fantastic day,the field used to be even better, there is a new dam in the top left of the picture as you can see which can be interesting if we have to fly from the north east end of the paddock.I am holding up the orange Dixielander at the rear-not often we have trouble fitting everyone in a photo.After running a 10FP then a 15LA in it I have fitted a brand spankers OS Max 111 .15 from the US to make it more era correct.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2011, 01:22:32 AM »

Chris and George Fullers Open Dixielanders from the 70-71 Aeromodeller Annual-hope it`s clear enought.If you open with windows picture viewer click actual size for better detail.
Phil
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:37:35 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2011, 06:03:32 AM »

Here are a few pics of my John West Dixielander and one of me launching  my standard version with a OS10FP glow,some have been posted already but this thread is more suitable.
It  now weighs 13.25 oz with a OS 10FP diesel,I did not use the 1/16in wash in on the LH inner as John has on the drawing,it has spruce front spars top and bottom,fuselage has a 3/32 ply doubler extending 1 1/2in past the pylon on the timer side to mount everthing on, also a spruce front spar on the tailplane other wise its the same as the John West version .The forward raked  pylon gives a little more room for a  bigger tank although my orange Dixie has a smaller tank and has no problems with the 15LA up front.
I only use 5% to 15% nitro fuel which helps the fuel economy,nitro adds power but is a poor fuel.
The 15LA pulls a 7x4 APC at over 19,900RPM(19,995 if the tacho was to be believed) on 5% nitro with a high compression turbo plug head and is 1/3oz(10g) lighter than the15FP,std venturi and needle valve,no mods apart from the head,even std they pull 18,000RPM with a LC3 or LC4 plug and 15% nitro
I rarely move the needle more than a click all day just start it up followed by a quick warm up until she peaks then guide her away gently without throwing.
Mike Beilbys FOX 15X pulled a 7x4 Master at 17,700 RPM on 40% nitro in a extended wing Climax- it used to flutter going straight up,Mike says he did very well at the British Nats  years ago almost taking out Open Power with a TeeDee 049 powered No Thrills.
The diesel 10LA was as fast as the glow 10LA but was poor starting with the fuel I had on the day so I put the glow head on to fly-do that with a PAW. It has since been replaced by a 10FP when it got a little sand in it and I hit it with the starter-exit 10LA .
With less warps the climb has less roll as the speed builds up and apart from reducing tail incidence with 1/32 packing on the front mount and shaving 1/32 off the rear mount it flew off the board.CG is 5/16in behind the trailing edge.
The launch shot was taken last year a few months before my heart attack,I have lost a few pounds since then,the paddock is one of our spares down the road from the 2009 field we flew the George Fuller 50th event in.

Phil
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:53:38 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »

Neat aeroplanes 'Groper. Smiley
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »

Here are a few pics of my John West Dixielander and one of me launching  my standard version with a OS10FP glow,some have been posted already but this thread is more suitable.
It  now weighs 13.25 oz with a OS 10FP diesel,I did not use the 1/16in wash in on the LH inner as John has on the drawing,it has spruce front spars top and bottom,fuselage has a 3/32 ply doubler extending 1 1/2in past the pylon on the timer side to mount everthing on, also a spruce front spar on the tailplane other wise its the same as the John West version .The forward raked  pylon gives a little more room for a  bigger tank although my orange Dixie has a smaller tank and has no problems with the 15LA up front.
I only use 5% to 15% nitro fuel which helps the fuel economy,nitro adds power but is a poor fuel.
The 15LA pulls a 7x4 APC at over 19,900RPM(19,995 if the tacho was to be believed) on 5% nitro with a high compression turbo plug head and is 1/3oz(10g) lighter than the15FP,std venturi and needle valve,no mods apart from the head,even std they pull 18,000RPM with a LC3 or LC4 plug and 15% nitro
I rarely move the needle more than a click all day just start it up followed by a quick warm up until she peaks then guide her away gently without throwing.
Mike Beilbys FOX 15X pulled a 7x4 Master at 17,700 RPM on 40% nitro in a extended wing Climax- it used to flutter going straight up,Mike says he did very well at the British Nats  years ago almost taking out Open Power with a TeeDee 049 powered No Thrills.
The diesel 10LA was as fast as the glow 10LA but was poor starting with the fuel I had on the day so I put the glow head on to fly-do that with a PAW. It has since been replaced by a 10FP when it got a little sand in it and I hit it with the starter-exit 10LA .
With less warps the climb has less roll as the speed builds up and apart from reducing tail incidence with 1/32 packing on the front mount and shaving 1/32 off the rear mount it flew off the board.CG is 5/16in behind the trailing edge.
The launch shot was taken last year a few months before my heart attack,I have lost a few pounds since then,the paddock is one of our spares down the road from the 2009 field we flew the George Fuller 50th event in.

Phil

I remember when Mike Beilby and Margo and kids visited the UK and they came to stay with me in Galway in the west of Ireland. We attended the "Ballinasloe Horse Fair"  and had a great time.  I have discussed this with him in the past.
I believe he is still flying and would like to contact him if anyone has his email.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: