Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 13, 2019, 08:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brisbane Boys  (Read 25370 times)
Maurice
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Australia Australia

Topic starter
When in doubt use more rubber

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »

Here is the Escadrille from Oz with a few photos of Geneseo. I would like to say that none of this would have happened without the support and generosity of the boys at Harfang; they are a wonderful group of modellers and I am honoured to be associated with them. But, as Bern says, when it comes to the competition, there are no friends! Ha ha.
You may hear reference to Chopper (Ron), Dervish (Bern), Speedie (Luc), Molly (Molly) and Minute Man (yours truly) and Boomerr (Steve). These names were earned in glorious combat in foreign skies! Ron's skill was to devastate all other models in mass launch by simply carving through wings and fuselages of anyone that got in the way. Bern (alias Dervish)for Ron Mayo's comment about his being a whirling Dervish...ou had to be there! Luc (alias Speedie) for his superb craftsmanship and the rate at which he builds! Hay Luc, I relate! Molly is Nolly. A beautiful young lady whose patience with my terrible French is commendable. Steve (Boomer), demonstrated superb skill with the original Aboriginal free Flight model If you want to find out why I got Minute Man that will always be a secret!

Hope to attach some photos in the next post.

Maurice
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »

Just posting some random photos from Geneseo. Included is my secret weapon. This weapon is not for sale but useful training advice can be provided for those who have the courage to use such a formidable device.

Minute Man
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Brisbane Boys
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »

Well I messed up that post before so I will try again with the attachments.
Minute Man
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »

Nice pics. Can someone please identify the red WWI monoplane in the second post? I have a sudden urge...
lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:02:07 AM »

can't help with that one josh, orry mate. Here is some video footage of some of the indoor flying that went down on saturday. I have more to come. There was my peanuts that i was trying to "MAX" and the EZB contest was in full swing as well. The first few are my canard and there should be a few more of other planes shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v97Eb3B7iWQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKeAzrOpnrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuapojYgpaE

regards
Matthew

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »

Maurice, Matt and the Rest of the BB, Great to see you here. Matt, that canard flys just wonderfully. Just love those vids.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Ron_Gosselin
Silver Member

Kudos: 21

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »

...If you want to find out why I got Minute Man that will always be a secret!...

SECRET...What secret! Dont you remember you could not break the one minute barrier! 56 sec 53 sec 58 sec...Now do you remember? Well execept for that 3 minute 45 second flight...but who is counting? Right? HAHAHAHA...

That red plane is from the great Dave Reese. that is all I know.

Ron from Montreal
 Smiley Smiley Smiley
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »

Hello Chopper,
Lawns have been mowed, stars have been awarded for good performance and a new model is being built but due to the new secrecy act I can not disclose the nature of this new beast suffice to say it is to take out the championship in peanut scale coming up soon. The AUW of the model is 9 grams.

Have also started building the other P35 in order to chase down the elusive minute! This is a matter of pride!

Do you by any chance have that tail view photo of the P35 in flight? That was an awesome shot. Is it possible to get a copy of that? Need it to show off to Matt.

Weather here is 8 degree Celsius; bought home a little Montreal spring weather with me I think.

Haven't totally recovered from Geneseo of the Montreal Modelling Men (3M?) but thank you for such an excellent time it is really valued. Christina is planning the next great excursion and has been spotted viewing the balsa and plan supplies and talking about FAC rules.

No more wood for you guys!
Cheers,
Minute Man
leezard
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

Canada Canada

I don't fail I succeed at what won't work C. Titus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »

Bring it on Mo. I for one will do my best to thwart your intentions and if I have to will launch my imported freeflight Aussie missile to do so.

I am looking forward to you guys visiting again. I will gladly take you out for another meatball sub and 'crisps' hold the Beets please.

Steve
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »

Hey Steve,
Real men eat beets! Just like to take the opportunity to thank you for you help and support when we were at Geneseo. Great patience on your part for sure with my request for tools and bits and pieces. Have bought me a tackle box like yours; man that was impressive!
Matt is determined to make Geneseo in 2 years; it will be good to go with him.

Once again, thank you mate,
Maurice
leezard
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

Canada Canada

I don't fail I succeed at what won't work C. Titus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »

Maurice for the Beets I likes em myself just not as part of a sandwich or burger ehhh ze McOz you guys sell over there leads to too much indigestion. For the parts and support the feeling is mutual you helped out the crew myself included with your blessing dance and help with throwing my new rang around. I will get it and bring it if I can in 2 years to prove it will return to me. It was a hoot to hang out with you on the field and an honor to be there with Ron and the rest of our team minus Tavi who will make it next year I am sure.

Almost finished the display spit for my friend so then onto something new.

Steve
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 07:45:46 AM »

Thought I would share some build progress photos of the Seversky P35. This is the second model of the same aircraft that I am building and I am very happy with the build. There have been some deviations from the kit mainly to do with the nose of the aircraft in that I have included more stringers to give the front some beef. The original was a bit weak there in my opinion. Also, the wing saddle area has some more cross pieces for the same reason. I look at it this way; if the first model needed ballast to get the CG right I can build in a bit of weight now! Anyway, here are some photos.

Cheers
Maurice
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

right on Dadige! looks good and i can not wait to see it fly at Deags..

regards
Matthew

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »

I agree with Matt, Tis lookin' good. Look forward to your inflight vids.

Caley

Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 05:32:53 PM »

This has got to be lucky! For some reason I found myself in the attic of my house and lurking in the corner was a large box. Vague memories of its contents encouraged me to inspect the contents and I was rewarded with a box of balsa I had got from Japan many years ago when working overseas and guess what? 6lb wood the lot! Now it is all 1/4" stuff (used to build lot of big RC) but I have a bandsaw and a drum sander so what's stopping me? For what it is worth I found my Cascutt racer as well; a glass/foam/carbon fibre composite kit with foam wings etc......hmmmm, speed!
So the moral to this story is to go and clean your attic!
Maurice
PS Matt, no, you can't have any of the wood! (yeh ya can actually)
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »

Isn't is so neat to have a treasure hunt in your own house. Smiley Great find Maurice. I try that occasionally at my place and all I ever come up with is a lot of dust. Grin Grin You have loads of fun, and don't forget to give us some piccies of what you build from it.

Caley

Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 04:44:33 PM »

Had an excellent time yesterday after doing the domestice requirements cutting balsa down to size. After my "find" of balsa in the attic I was wondering what to do with all the 1/4" and 3/8" stuff because not much of it is used in peanut scale and FF so, nothing venture nothing gained, I took a piece over to the bandsaw (my partner builds furniture for commission) and fired it up. Ran the balsa through the magnetic fence and voila! Four strips of 1/20 from the 3/8". Well, a little over size actually as it was then fed through the drum sander and dressed to the required thickness. Man, was I excited! It turned out perfect! Now I have a year's supply at least of 6lb wood! Wooohooo.
Next on the table for completion is a circular rip saw jig using a thin circular blade on a Dremel to do the job and I will make a lot of sticks. Anyone interested in the outcome happy to provide pikkie. That is if I can get it accurate enough.
Going off now to set up the "model shop" as Matt is coming over for a building and BS session.

Cheers,
Maurice
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 05:32:40 AM »

Matthew and I had a building session today; always good fun. Worked on 2 planes, the P35 amd the PNUT P51. Both are close to covering now and that will be the next big effort. Have high hopes to crack a minute with the P35 this time so that Minute Man can rest easy. I found the extra 2 secs in the build. Stangely enough there has been more woodwork in this model and it is just as light as the first one I built. The photos will show the weight.

So here are the photos,
Maurice
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 06:09:34 AM »

Hi guys, dad is on a building spree and i have started something new. A glider based on a a steve badge L1 powered design. I will not be using it for rapier power i am going to use it for catapult lanuched glidering!! here is a pic of the left wing panel so far. Do you like the criss cross wood?? I do. do no know if it is going to help anything but it will look nice with the sun behind it 20 meters up in the air!!

regards
Matthew

Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 07:25:46 AM »

Matt
Cool wing mate, well done! Yes it will look good 20 metres in the air.

Cheers
Dad
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 07:37:10 AM »

My son is right, I am on a building spree! Thanks must go to a bunch of good guys and Geneseo. Ron Gosselin (Chopper) gets a special mention for showing me the secret of wet covering and dope; thank you very much my friend my life is easier. Luc (Speedie) must receive acknowledgment for his meticulous building and Tassie (Burnard) for his fantastic enthusiasm and generosity of spirit.
Anyway, here is something that has finally hit home for me and that is wrinkle free covering of a round fuse; I am over the moon. Thanks must also to Duc for the video he produced that started the change of covering technique for me.

As a matter of interest, drying the wet tissue gently from the inside causes the covering to "round over" leaving a nice smooth finish on the covering. Blowing from the outside in causes the covering to "sag" between the formers. Do the same when you dope and the effect is quite amazing.

Here are some photos of the job; very very happy man.
Maurice
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »

Very nice covering job Maurice. Did you install the tissue wet, or wet it after attaching to the fuse? Also assume you used a hair dryer to gently dry from the inside?
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

Wow Maurice, that is some really nice tissue work. I think I am going to have to try that in the near future. I dislike the smell of dope and getting it on my hands. But it seems that working it as you have has produced superior results.

Caley

Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 09:05:49 PM »

Hello Don,
Te tissue was draped over the frame nd then sprayed with my alcohol water mix. Not too sure about the quantities but about 70% alcohol to water. The frame was doped 3 times with the last coat not sanded at all. The tissue (Esaki) was stretched to shape and then the contact edges painted and rubbed with acetone. Drying was "hastened" with a heat gun that I have made and adaptation to the heating elements using a triac device I constructed to vary the heat. The fan has to be unmodified speed wise.

The frame was covered in three pieces, the bottom and then the 2 sides. This will vary with the fuse type I am sure.

Dope was applied using a sponge; this trick was learnt from Ronny Gosselin (Chopper) when i had the good fortune to build a model in his workshop. Learnt a lot from the Harfang boys.

Thank you for your interest,
Maurice
Maurice
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »

Thank you Caley for your kind comments. I understand the issue with dope which is why I always do it in the open. I try to avoid getting it on myself as much as possible but with practice you become quite skillful using brushes or whatever and keeping most of the dope on the plane and not the hands and clothes! Still working on a level of excellence with that!

Cheeers,
Mauirce
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: