Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 07, 2020, 06:45:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stahl Hurricane for P30  (Read 537 times)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »

so, yes, I know that "As Is" the Stahl hurricane is not legal for P30

The wing comes in at about 32in span (flat)

I've figured out that I have two choices:

1) Reduce the wing main panels by about 1 1/8 each side

2) Reduce the entire plan by 92%

What say you? Which option would you go with, and why?

I'm leaning toward reducing the whole plan, and substitute the 1/8 sq fuselage longerons with 3/32 sq. I'll end up with a lighter airplane.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 06:41:43 PM »

I favor the reduced size print.

I think it's best to preserve the original proportions for esthetic sake, and likely for flight performance as well..

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 137

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »

Yep, I side with Greg on this but don't forget, (as I preach to the choir), to follow through with your already mentioned reduction in lumber sizes. How many times have I neglected this? well, every single time! My reduced size Ellipsis looks like I bought the lumber for it at Home Depot!

The Threadkiller!
Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »

Hello All

This is now officially a "Build" thread.

My first step was to import the original (from Outerzone) drawing and import it into (converted to .jpg first) my CAD system. After doing the calculations, I had to reduce the scale by 92% to get an almost exact 30 inch (projected) span. I also "flipped" the image and cropped it to get the port wing layout. I will upload the drawing to the Plans Gallery, so if you are interested....

As this airplane will not be legal for any SAM events, I am making several structural changes (as mentioned, going with 3/32 sq wherever the call out is for 1/8 sq.) I am also going to replace the sheet wing tips and the horizontal and vertical stab outlines with 3 laminations of 1/32 X 3/32 to get 3/32 sq.

The next step was to create the forms for the outlines. I got the .pdf of the scaled drawing and had my local FEDEX Office store print two copies of the plan. One is for the actual building and the other is used for the patterns.

I cut out the vertical and horizontal stabs and the wing tips. I then, using a spray adhesive, glued them onto 1 inch foam "GreenGuard Project Panel" (About 5 bucks for a 24 X 24 sheet from my local Home Depot)

I then cut the outlines out using my band saw. I found that if I cut just inside the existing dark outlines, after a bit of sanding, it offsets the outlines very close to 3/32.

Only one picture so far. The next step will be to strip some 1/32 A grain and from it around the forms (stay tuned)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Stahl Hurricane for P30

strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »

Looking forward to seeing this build.  Though it sounds like you have already decided to do a 100% reduction, I thought it might be interesting to see if there were any clipped-wing hurris out there like was occasionally done with Spitfires.  I searched a bit but came up empty.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 05:06:44 PM »

Looking forward to seeing this build.  Though it sounds like you have already decided to do a 100% reduction, I thought it might be interesting to see if there were any clipped-wing hurris out there like was occasionally done with Spitfires.  I searched a bit but came up empty.

Just so there's no confusion...

The (Earl) Stahl Hurricane is not a scale model of the British Hurricane. It's a non-scale low wing sport design. Here is a link to a fine video of one flying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G0vax5PLLM

SD

Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 09:19:15 AM »

Made some progress...

I wrap the foam outline forms with clear packing tape. It protects the foam and glue does not stick to it.

I cut 1/32 X 3/32 strips for the Horizontal and Vertical stab and Wing tips. To soak the strips, I have a 1.5 inch Dia X 36 inch long PVC pipe, capped and glued at one end. I fill the pipe with household ammonia (I know that this is controversial, and a lot of modelers say that the Ammonia does not help, but old habits... I find that soaking balsa in Ammonia for a couple hours makes even tight bends work.)

I slip the balsa strips into the PVC pipe, cover with another cap and leave it for a couple hours. When done, I wrap the strips around the forms and use Blue painter's tape top hold it on the form. After it dries, the strips stay in the new shape. I then use slightly (1/3 water 2/3 glue) Titebond to glue the strips together.

Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 07:59:40 AM »

Wing and tail construction complete, now on to the fuselage

Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 09:01:12 AM »

Construction pretty much complete, all that's left is to install the DT 'Button" timer. I probably won't cover it until our move to the Phoenix (Arizona) area in June. I really want to cover it with traditional dope and tissue, and I don't have any place to do that here.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »

Neat work and it is a great looking Stahl design. If it DT's as low as MaxFliarts in that clip then you will need to watch out for strong thermals. Smiley

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: