Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 05:21:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show us your P-30's  (Read 61791 times)
hoogie007
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »

I guess my picture resolution was too high-sorry about that...

Here's a gossamer shot of my Boomer MkII P-30 kit. This model builds consistently in the 36-38 gram range when built per drawing and materials included.

Clint Smiley
www.cbmodeldesigns.com
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show us your P-30's
hoogie007
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »

Here are a couple of more showing either side of the model. The fuselage is pre-built with the stab platform and incidence adjustment screw installed. The pylon is attached and ready to install the timer and wing dowels. A complete hardware kit, laser cut parts, covering, CAD drawing and construction manual with extensive trimming detail are also part of the package. One week of evening building sessions yields a top performing model!

Clint Grin
www.cbmodeldesigns.com
hoogie007
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »

Now the right side again-

This same model flew for a little over 3 minutes back in February at Perris, CA. The flight was early morning, with frost still on the ground-it was the monthly SCAMPS club contest (canceled that day, but I missed the notice). No wind, sun just up, temp about 57 deg F. 6 X 3/32 Supersport motor (10g) with a motor run of 1:28. Altitude was probably 150 feet.

Try it-you'll like what you see!

Clint  Wink

www.cbmodeldesigns.com
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »

Clint, Post came through 5x5.

Sorry I haven't ordered the two kits from you yet. Money has been tight due to one thing or another. Will try to order in May.

Thanks
Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2009, 03:24:28 PM »

Not finished yet... a frantic rush to get stuff ready for the Nationals (sorry to those watching the Stahl Mustang build) Undecided

Anyway thanks to Applehoney for the plan I decided to make an upgraded Teachers Pet. Main change is the slimming of the wing section which means geodetics to keep some torsional stiffness under the mylar covering (well I like geodetics) Grin

Wing appears a darker shade because it has received a coat of thinned Evostick in preparation for the mylar (now applied!)

Will post a pic when she's finished...

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »

Hey, DaddyO, the Nationals are only once a year, or so, so you need to set priorities.  Smiley That's one nice looking model. Love those geodetic bones. Someday I may attempt such a challenge.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »

Caley, they are simpler to do than you might think ... a different approach, angled joints .. and the ensuing rigidity will surprise you.

Mind you, this is a little extreme .. and certainly not a P30 Grin
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »

Whad'ja do? Drop a box of toothpicks on a glue puddle?
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »

Jim, There's enough wood in that tail to make a few P-30's and have some left over. Grin Definitely know that type of woodwork makes for some strong structures. Probably good on Coupe, Mulvihill and Wakefield types.

Caley

DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2009, 03:32:47 PM »

Nice one Jim Grin

Thanks Caley - the weather has kind of got the better of me this year with the duration stuff; both mini vintage and Open Vintage models now need repairs as well as my other P30's and an F1A... still, it's all good fun Undecided

Anyway here is the (almost) complete new P30. Lightest one yet at 37gms. I'm sticking with a fuse DT as per the previous two. Covering is tissue over mylar with just the top wing surface covered. No carbon anywhere in sight. C of G is a little further forward at 84% due to a slight goof when fitting the pylon, but I'll try that to start with.
Just need to add snuffer tube, line guides and silk patches on the dihedral joints then she's ready to go...

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »

DaddyO, Veeery nice. Love the colour scheme. Look forward to hearing the fright reports. Looks like it will fly very nicely.

Caley

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2009, 03:16:44 AM »

Looks like it will fly very nicely

Caley

His models always do, I'm deeply envious Grin
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2009, 03:38:52 PM »

Ah shucks PeeTee, you've got me blushing Embarrassed Wink

Duco Guru

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »

It will be interesting to know how the single covered wing works for you.

Bob
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2009, 05:23:43 PM »

Sorry Bob it's not very clear in the photos (or my description). The flying surfaces are clear mylar covered both top and bottom with tissue applied to the top only... hmmm, single surface covering, there's a thought...

danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »

Well, stop thinking about it on a geodetic rib wing.
Duco Guru

« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »

Nice one Jim Grin

Covering is tissue over mylar with just the top wing surface covered. Just need to add snuffer tube, line guides and silk

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Bob
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2009, 06:19:57 PM »

Hey, This is the closest thing to just flying the bones without covering. I like the bones look. Very kewl DaddyO. I'll keep a lookout for it in the air, when it thermals. Grin

Caley

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2009, 03:38:18 AM »

It will be interesting to know how the single covered wing works for you..

hmmm, single surface covering, there's a thought .

Been there, done that - not so good in wind & turbulence.

Enthused by the Mick Farthing "Paper Bag" 1940s rubber model with single surface covered wing, I decided to build a "modern" version. I used the same McBride (?) airfoil with a 3mm carbon tube LE, hard balsa TE and carbon capped every other rib; covering was 10 micron mylar. It flew and glided beautifully in calm weather, but at speed and in wind & turbulence, it was all over the place - normally downwards. Despite the carbon capping, because the ribs are sliced & only 3mm deep there is little torsional stiffness. Those who know better than I suggested that the tips were washing out killing the lift. I tried to inprove matters by adding a latticework of kevlar cross bracing, but because of the curvature, it didn't help much (but you knew that anyway Cheesy).

Perhaps someone else will have better luck than me!

Now back to P30s....................

Peter l'experimenteure (failed)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2009, 01:44:33 AM »

Nothing sleek like the Boomer .. but my SortaSouper30. I didn't like the big squared off boxy wingmount on the Souper30 plan so replaced that with a light slim streamlined pylon .. substituted a built-up fin with thin symmetrical section for the 1/16" sheet one ... and added extra spars to the wing.

Though making provision to mount the pylon in same place as on the plan I later found that, complete with motor, I had to move it forward 1.5" to get the CG to the recommended position .. which meant opening up the fuselage and remaking the mounting points.... patches even before completion :'(

Have tried a spring loaded freewheel clutch ahead of the prop .. worked okay on a couple of dry runs but remains to be seen how it behaves in practice; otherwise a change to a shaft-mounted Garami will be required.

It finally weighs in at 39gms .. without the tracker; I'd hoped to have it at 40gms with the transmitter but .. not to be. Win some, lose ..most...
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »

Very nice Jim. Wish I was able to get the weight down like you. You seem to add things and still get a good weight.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »

Wish I was able to get the weight down like you.

Caley, without reading back over multiple postings I seem to recall that your NJAPF weighed in at an even 40gms? Many P30's do not get down to that weight .. I feel you're doing fine.
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »

I was wondering if a tracker was practcal for a P-30 size model after seeing Clint Brooks Boomer lost Sat. at Lost Hills but the cost I've seen are in the $600 range (I can build a lot of models for that) I'm thinking of a pop off wing DT.

Richard
Duco Guru

« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »

Tweedy:

I have thought the same thing...Now picture this scenario, the wing pops off and the model D/T's into a row of corn stalks over head high and a half mile away..The tracker puts you right on it and you are back in business. No tracker and you lose a couple hours out of a contest looking for a lost model which might be only a few feet from where you last looked..
How much is your time worth?? Looking for a model or building one to replace the one you lost..Food for thought Huh Huh

Bob
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »

I tried Googling for a lost airplane tracker device, but I musn't be hitting on the correct terminology, as I'm not familiar with them. Anyone know a link I could follow to educate myself on these devices. Of course, at the amount quoted, purchasing one is a future endeavour.

Caley

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: