Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 08:31:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show us your P-30's  (Read 61671 times)
hoogie007
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »

This is an image of my Boomer P-30 design. I market this kit through my website www.cbmodeldesigns.com

I've posted this a bit on the SFA site, so I hope it doesn't bore those of you who have already seen it there.

You can check out the details on my website. You can also view or downlaod the construction manual if you wish.

The kits will build underweight if done per plan. These models are a blast to fly and experiment with-competition or just sport flying.

Clint
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show us your P-30's
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 05:52:45 AM »

HI All,

I was thinking [could be bad] that I will build a new P/30 ,the one I have by Dave Platt is as good they come and I know it will go OOS this gives me a reason to build a new one.

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 09:32:44 AM »

Nice one, Robert. I've never seen one but they have a good reputation - look forward to performance reports. Use that d/t!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 09:38:16 AM »

Robert, Nice lookin' ship. Looks very fassssst  Smiley  Did you put a D/T on it?

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 06:42:46 PM »

I had one of these P30s DT and did not come down, it just keep going and we never got it back. I think the best way to get it down is to pop the wing.

Bob

gkalay
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Turkey Turkey

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 04:22:59 AM »

Hi, modeller

Again NJAPF-II , total : 40 gr. wihtout rubber !
Cover easybuilt tussie
modify wing, full web

robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »

HI All,

I was looking though some of my P30 kits that I have,and this jumped out at me and before I do anything to it does anyone know of this P30?

I think some one gave it to me for some D T fuse at a free flight contest in VA. if anyone has info. on this model good or bad could you let me know?

The name of this P30 is Tail Firster.

Bob

Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 07:16:22 AM »

Bob,

I've heard it's a good flier. Never built one myself, though.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »

I think that was a full size plan in Aeromodeler years ago.. If so mine built and flew quite well. I was scared about the big rudder tip plates but I managed to get them on straight.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »

The AEROMODELLER canard P30 was HEATHER'S BROOMSTICK from memory about 10 or 12 years ago.
Bill and Heather Thomas in the Brisbane Freeflight Society built one or two of them back then and it was accepted by AEROMODELLER to be a full size plan.
It was quite a good flier in Heather's hands with help from her husband Bill.
Unfortunately Bill passed away 6 or 8 years ago and Heather retired from flying.
Both delightful people that also had a strong interest in motor sport also.

craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »

Hello Everyone... just a line to let you know that I am a new member to this site. I didn't know of it... and I am glad I came across it. I have belonged to NFFS and it's site for some time now. I am a big fan of P-30 and have done pretty well flying competition... although not as good as some of the well knowns. But the main thing is the enjoyment of this class.
It's good to be here!

Craig h
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »

Welcome craig h, glad to have you aboard, lots of good model builders here.

Cheers

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 09:01:21 PM »

Hi Craig, Welcome to the group. Sorry to answer late, but for some reason, I wasn't getting notified of replies to threads I subscribe to. Just got back on the forum to look around.

My first successful flying model, thanks to many on several groups was a P-30, the "One Night 28". It would never win a contest at a whopping 50+ or so grams with no rubber in it, but it flew well, and even got up to 90 seconds. Probably a light thermal. I've never competed, but may soon try, and the P-30 class, as you said, is a good place to start. Will have to check when I get down to Eloy, if they take entries at the check in table. Might just try to fly my NJAPF which has been very consistent. Competition is ok, but just being there and meeting everyone is the best part.Have fun flyin', and let us see some of what you put together. We're all very interested.

Caley

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 07:38:37 PM »

HI All,
I was looking though some of my P30 kits that I have,and this jumped out at me and before I do anything to it does anyone know of this P30?
I think some one gave it to me for some D T fuse at a free flight contest in VA. if anyone has info. on this model good or bad could you let me know?
The name of this P30 is Tail Firster.

My type of model! I have a weakness for out of the rut designs. I recall an article about this creation, i believe in FM or maybe AAM some time back.l BMJR still in business?

As I've NO competition/endurance models (yet), I'd be interested in obtaining a "Tail Firster" - I think it's neat. Wouldn't care whether it is competitive or not as I fly for fun.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
craig h
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »

Yes BMJR is still in business and still sells the Tailfirster. I know of a person that flys it in competition and does well with it but he is one of the top flyers in most AMA events.

Have fun..
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 01:35:59 AM »

Here is my Majestyk P-30 launching into a stiff wind.

Derek

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »

Derek, Sorry for such a late reply. I must say that your model definitely stood on its tail and kept going. I guess that's the difference between a rubber motor wound properly and what mine does. Mine maybe goes up at a 45 degree angle for a few seconds, then levels out and just cruises. You're the brave sort to fly in wind. Smiley

Caley

DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »

Derek, Sorry for such a late reply. I must say that your model definitely stood on its tail and kept going. I guess that's the difference between a rubber motor wound properly and what mine does. Mine maybe goes up at a 45 degree angle for a few seconds, then levels out and just cruises. You're the brave sort to fly in wind. Smiley

Well, I don't know about being brave, I just wanted the exercise of the chase! As to winding rubber motors, I started in free flight competition with Wakefields so I learned early on to wind the snot out of them. I still wind motors pretty hard even in classes that don't need it!

Derek

Derek
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

I still wind motors pretty hard even in classes that don't need it!

As do I. Even a sport model has a maximum flight potential .. and I feel ANY model should be flown to its limits every time.
craig h
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »

Yep...I fly mine with 6 strands of 1/8 rubber at 9.6 grams before lube and wind between

1200 and 1400 turns. Of course you don't to do this without use of a blow tube!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »

Yep...I fly mine with 6 strands of 1/8 rubber at 9.6 grams before lube and wind between

1200 and 1400 turns. Of course you don't to do this without use of a blow tube!

Sounds about right! P-30's are tons of fun with that kind of power. It's between a 10-11 on my torque meter.

Derek

Derek
schnellwilli

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:52 PM »

When I used to fly P-30s a lot back in the 70s, I used a rubber stripper and cut .250" down to .160 (4 strands). Liked that better than using 5 strands of 1/8". Last P-30 I made was John Kamlas Marie that used 6 X3/32". Great flyer if the motor was really pushed.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »

I've been listening to you chaps talking about how many winds you get on your motors. I must have a bad batch of rubber, as 6 strands of 1/8 rubber, well lubed, explodes at around 970 winds. Could be I'm not stretching it 100 times its length to get those massive winds. Grin I just don't have luck with putting heavy turns on my motors. They break too easily. Will have to be happy with around 900.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »

I must have a bad batch of rubber, as 6 strands of 1/8 rubber, well lubed, explodes at around 970 winds.

I must admit I've never had 6 strand motors go as far as 1200-1400 turns - how good was the torque, Craig?

I usually get somewhere between 1000 and near 1100 dependent upon batch and courage for that 'extra couple' ; your 970 may not be out of line for your batch, Caley, and could indeed be producing more torque than a 'softer' motor carrying more turns. I think you have commented previously about having to stretch out further when winding, so there could indeed be some more turns available. 'Coming in' too fast can also reduce number of potential turns.
ram
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »

I've been listening to you chaps talking about how many winds you get on your motors. I must have a bad batch of rubber, as 6 strands of 1/8 rubber, well lubed, explodes at around 970 winds. Could be I'm not stretching it 100 times its length to get those massive winds. Grin I just don't have luck with putting heavy turns on my motors. They break too easily. Will have to be happy with around 900.

Heat could be the culprit. I find that the hotter it is the fewer turns before the explosion. Under good conditions it seems that 1200 is my upper limit. Some batches of rubber are thinner than others, also. That allows relatively more turns due to the longer motor.

Rey
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: