Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 11, 2019, 08:29:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show us your P-30's  (Read 61643 times)
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »

Derek bring the one you don't finish the three of us might be able to complete it at the motel.Had a friend do that more times than you could count.I'll just call him Mike A.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »

Bruce, I might do that if I don't finish one of them.

Bill, the spars are carbon tubes. The wings were on the oven under the exhaust fan. A bit cold in the garage so the velcro glue went on in the kitchen. The cool part is that I had permission from my wife to do it!

Caley, these are covered with plain old quarter mil mylar. No tissue needed.

The picture is of the two wings with mylar covering. Can you tell? Grin The black looking panel is metalized mylar. An experiment to see if it flashes as the the wing spins on dt. Both of the planes will have a pop off wing dt. I usually dye the mylar on my planes but I'm going to spray the top surface with design master spray paint tomorrow when it warms up a bit. A bit of red, a bit of black, white on the rudder (Dan you convinced me Cheesy).
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show us your P-30's

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »

Wait until you witness the Vegan Eagle in the BTV. You'll believe in the white then!

I was concerned that you were gonna leave the plane clear. Roll Eyes
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: February 06, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »

Wait until you witness the Vegan Eagle in the BTV. You'll believe in the white then!

I was concerned that you were gonna leave the plane clear. Roll Eyes

They would be my new stealth P30s Smiley

Derek
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »

Wings are finished except for my AMA number.

I sprayed them with Tamiya color Fluorescent Red on the tips and design master glossy black for the rest. To bad the fluorescent red isn't glossy. A big difference between spray painting the mylar as opposed to dye is that the paint shows off the wrinkles and sloppy edges! I also had some bleed under on my masking Embarrassed Oh well, nothing a bit of paint can't fix after the Issacson.

All components of each plane are finished, now to put them together!

Derek
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »

Derek,
Some people paint the bottom layer of mylar from the INSIDE before they cover the top. That way everything is glossy (cause the mylar is on the outside).

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Sunbeamtiger
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »

I am now ready for this year's flying season. The yellow and blue ship is a Boomer MK2 which is kitted by Clint Brooks. It was built per the plans and using a pop-up wing. Using the supplied Czech prop and a viscous timer. The only thing I changed was that I covered with rudder with 1/4 mil silver mylar. Ready to fly, less Walston transmitter and motor she weighs in at 41.9 grams.

The purple and silver ship is a Pirate by Burdov and the kit is sold by Larry Bagalini. Again this one was built per the plans. Covered in 1/2 mil mylar (per the plans) and is using a Ikara viscous timer and the supplied Czech prop. The only thing I have done different on this is the prop is now 'true' free wheeling. RTF, less motor & transmitter weighed in at 47.7 grams.

The red and silver ship is also a Pirate but this one is using a Peck silver prop which is also free wheeling and a good old fashion fuse for the DT. This plane weighed in at 45.9 grams.

First off I want to say that the Boomer kit was wonderful, nice job Clint. And the same goes for the Pirate, great kit and very easy to build. Once again Larry is selling a quality product.
The Boomer has not seen air yet since we still have 2" of ice covered with 6" of snow. I sure wish Spring would hurry up and arrive. The red Pirate (dt fuse) saw air last year but never really got fully trimmed out due to every time at the field the wind was blowing pretty good but it looked very promising. I'm sure I will receive a lot of flak for how much the finished weights are but what can I say? I built them per the plans.

Mike Richardson
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: February 06, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »

Nice to see the Boomer and Pirate side-by-side (don't see them at all over here). Kinda surprising that the Pirate(s) come out heavier than the Boomer as the fuz x-section seems much smaller (Pirate) and the rest of the construction looks similar.

I'm toying with the idea of building a P-30 soon, being torn between scratch building or going the kit route - and keeping on the lookout for a decent place to fly the thing. There seems to be only one place in Germany that caters to the FAI classes (Manching in Bavaria) and the P-30 event is considered a "Junior" event. I've only found ONE event for this coming season Angry, so I'll be doing this for fun only.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »

SBT, Very nice work. I know the Boomer is a great model. I've seen it fly, and it gets up there, very high, and then is a real floater.

Also seen the Pirate in Eloy, and it also flys very well.

I wouldn't worry about a few extra grams. Just trim it right, wind it properly, and get a good launch, and they both will do two minutes in calm air. I think my Majestyk is around 44-45 grams, and it flys very well, even with the extra grams.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:36 AM »

Sweet looking P-30's Mike! If they fly as well as they look, they will fly great!

Here is a picture of my modified Pirate. It has a different fuselage because I like the GizmoGeezer and fitting that baby into the Pirate kit fuselage is tough. All ready to check the CG and and discover that my motor stuffer sticks diameter is to big. So I need to make another one that fits. Weight right now is 39.5 grams. The dt line and swivel, and a bit of ballast will get it past the 40 gram minimum weight. The weight will increase each flight as I cover all the puncture holes in the mylar with tape Grin

Derek
Sunbeamtiger
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »

Caley,
Thanks for the compliments on the build. The mylar covering on the Pirates aren't the best, they are what I call a 5 foot beauty. At 5 feet you can't see the flaws. I'm still not use to covering with mylar yet. Tissue and silk are no problems but then I'm dating my age. One of Pirates I flew at a local contest last year but never got in a official flight. While trimming it caught got in "boomer" and ended up off field and in the woods. How it ever managed to fall to the ground among all those trees I will never know. It would have been a lost if it wasn't for the Walston. I'm going to have to modify them for a wing pop up/off to help them come down.

After building both the Pirate and Boomer, I prefer the Pirate due to how rigid the structure is compared to the common stick structure but then it is only my opinion.

As for the weight, I'm not really concerned, I'm more into having fun. Besides, if you can pick the right air a couple of extra won't matter.

Now what did surprise me is the prop weight on the Boomer. I made both per Clint's plans, the Czech & the Gizzmo Geezer and would you believe the Gizzmo came out lighter. Anyhow it should be interesting to see how the different props perform on both designs.

COME ON SPRING TIME.
Mike in Indiana

Mike Richardson
Sunbeamtiger
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2011, 09:13:28 AM »

Derek,
Love the covering job on your Pirate.
I would have liked to use a Gizzmo on the Pirate too but I took the lazy way out, I made a Peck into a free wheeler. The one complaint I have about the Pirate is the small diameter of the fuselage, it's a pain to load a motor but on the other side it is strong. As for loading I slip a piece of music wire through the tail end and pull the motor in.
Holes in the covering..... thank you Scotch Tape, I never leaver home without it. Grin

Mike in Indiana

Mike Richardson
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2011, 12:45:10 AM »

Here is the finished Pirate ready to go. I used Hi-Vis dacron line for the pop off wing DT line. A bit more visible than the monofilament I used in the past. Now to see if she can fly Grin If the wind cooperates tomorrow I will have time for some trimming flights before I head on down to the Issacson.

That white rudder is quite visible.

Derek
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:51 AM »

Unbeatable looks, looks unbeatable!

Good air don't care!
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2011, 02:41:24 AM »

That white rudder is quite visible.

Dan B. will be so proud.... Grin

Tmat

F1B guy...
Sunbeamtiger
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: February 08, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »

Derek,
Looking good. Let us know how the test flights go.

Mike

Mike Richardson
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »

Has anybody built a P-30 designed by George Perryman that he called SPARROWHAWK ? I have a plan that George signed for me but I have been afraid to build it since it looks so complicated. The Sparrowhawk that John O'Dwyer designed beat GP to the punch and then John O'dwyer had his kitted by MAL of Irving,Texas. George was a real friend. If you built it what advice can you offer especially when it comes to the curved and laminated wing tips among other parts of the model. Remember, George called his workshop the "Gloryhole" and he chased models with "Old Yellow" which is a yellow Cadillac.
albisko
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Slovakia Slovakia

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »

I present a new model with PGI system

https://picasaweb.google.com/100588849894345200054/P30BuiltAndFlying#

palo
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »

Looks great Palo!

So how does it fly?

Tony
-inquiring minds want to know ... Wink

F1B guy...
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: April 08, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »

Looks real nice, Palo! Your flying site is a free flighter's DREAM!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
albisko
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Slovakia Slovakia

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: April 08, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »

Tony,
Model with rainbow cover wing flies perfectly! (PGI system, wing incidence -2degrees, tail -3,5degrees, motor trust -1, CofG 65% of root )
rubber is TAN2 18mm2 , 6thread 3x1, R-L setting

Second model (black centroplan) flies no good ,I edit to pylon and upper rudder. Lower pylon will have negative incidence and rudder will be underneath fuselage.

my flying place:
http://www.gliding.sk/?page=galerie
Smiley
palo
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »

Nice pics and P30s Palo. Smiley
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: April 09, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »

Very Nice Models and also a very nice location. Good to see another success story.
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2011, 06:23:50 AM »

I do not show you my P-30. Instead, I show you my new winder!

I have felt that the common 1:5 ratio of winders is too slow for 6 strand P-30 motor, taking well over 1000 turns. I tried to work on my own from scratch, but fitting the gears seems to be rather hard, to make them run smooth. Then my eyes fell on the "Ikara" line winch lying on the table. ratio 1:7.8, quite sturdy gears, this might work! So I took a length of aluminum tubing, threaded inside with M5 tap to fit the axis (replacing the line drum). First attempts indicated that the standard handle is too short, making applying maximum turns too hard, so I did another one. I have already had to replace one handle of my previous winch with an aluminum one, as the plastic handle broke, so I knew that a piece of alu with a M5 thread would work. This time I made the handle twice the original length to work with rubber torque, but also added another hole halfway, so the handle would double for line winch use. All this modifications are reversible, so I can use the same winch also for towline. One thing still to add is a brass thrust washer on the output axis, to take the pull of the rubber motor.

I got a chance to test the winch on Saturday, when we had a smallish local contest, probably the last contest on frozen lake this year. The weather was warm and sunny, but the wind was high, up to 9m/s. I flew a couple of flights, with motor would to 500 g*cm. I suppose that from a fresh 6-strand SuperSport you might get peak torque of up to 800g*cm, but one of my old motors broke at 500 to 600, so I decided to stay at that. The winch took that torque quite OK.

Flying, on the other hand, was another thing with a "fixed" model (no VIT, no AR). Launching into a 6 to 8 m/s wind means that the initial speed is much faster than the model is ever trimmed for. My first launch into the wind and 40 degrees up looked OK to start with, but then the model stalled (it was not even on the back), and dived into the ground. The following 2 launches were safer, but this time I launched the right of the wind, and the models made half a turn and spend some 5 seconds of flight time flying level, before catching up with the wind and starting to climb. I think for such high winds a VIT would have helped a lot, so that the model could have tolerated such high initial speed better.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:23 AM »

Try launching left of the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 37   Go Up
Print