Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 06:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show us your P-30's  (Read 61796 times)
Victor
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: December 17, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »

Hello Dave,
Yes, I'm very happy with the kit.  But since this is just my third model build, everything is a learning experience, so I don't know enough about balsa weights, and what is sufficient, or overbuilt, or underbuilt, for a given design, to have any sense of how things will turn out when it is all put together. But I could certainly tell that it was a much lighter plane than the square eagle; it turned out about about 10 grams lighter.  My square eagle is 46 grams, but I don't think it claims to be a 40 gram plane.  The Square Eagle flies great, and it was the easiest to build of the three planes I've built so far.

But I'm looking forward to seeing the Majestyk fly.

Victor
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: December 17, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »

Congratulations!    Not many P30's  turn out at such a light weight.     For competition - should you so desire - you could always bring it up to 40 gms with some ballast as the established CG

Nice work!
Victor
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: December 17, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »

Thanks applehoney, but the credit for the light weight would have to go to Lee Campbell, for the balsa selection, as well as the plane designer. I did manage to avoid any obvious weight mistakes in building this plane - for the Square Eagle, I used epoxy to attach the three wing sections at the dihedrals.  Unfortunately, I had installed the dihedral ribs with a bit of concavity, although they were at the right angle.  So I ended up using epoxy as filler for the concavity.  Probably added a few grams right there!  But should the Square Eagle happen to get run over by a truck, at least the dihedral ribs would be salvageable.

Victor
Victor
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: December 17, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »

In looking at the longerons again, I think I'm the problem...I'm squeezing the fuse when I'm putting the rubber bands on for the wing hold downs, the stab, and installing the motor peg.  That is where the longerons are becoming banana-like.

I took the Majestyk out for a quick ballpark check, just a few hand glides and one with 100 winds, to get the stab in the right neighborhood.  Got it close to gliding right, so I brought it back to make a proper lift for the stab, add a little more stab tilt, and put keys on the wing, which I needed to do before serious trim. 

I also found that the stab was starting to curl upwards at the ends; I think that is my fault for taking it off the board a couple days ago after a few hours of drying; I think I read that the tissue continues to shrink for a couple days or so.  So, I decided to add a third coat of dope, and will leave it on the magnet board overnight, so it can take a new set. 

Victor
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: December 17, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »

In looking at the longerons again, I think I'm the problem...I'm squeezing the fuse when I'm putting the rubber bands on for the wing hold downs, the stab, and installing the motor peg.  That is where the longerons are becoming banana-like.

Victor
Victor, I put a 1/16 square cross piece half way along the bay just behind the wing mount (sometimes in front as well) to reinforce it. Very little weight added, but no more bent/cracked longerons from my fumbly fingers. You might consider adding them on your next build.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: December 17, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »

Hey Victor,  Nice Majestyk, and a super low weight. 
  Remember I mentioned a while back about storing your stab flat between some firm foam and a piece of wood or thick foam to prevent warping.  Stabs are the most prone part of the model to warping, and keeping them fixed in that kind of jig when not using is the best thing you can do to prevent aggravation.  I do all my stabs that way.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Victor
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: December 17, 2011, 09:59:10 PM »

Caley, that sounds like a good idea.  I need to make storage boxes, so I'll add some stab storage boxes, too.

Bargle, that is a good idea.  Right now, with the wing tabs installed, and with a half gram of lead in the nose, its AUW is 46.4 grams, so there would be room for a little more balsa, which I'll remember for the next one.

Victor
Victor
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: December 18, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »

This morning was a perfect morning for getting the planes out - below freezing, so there wasn't any mud; overcast, and no wind at all.  I got in right as the sportsplex opened at dawn, which gives me an hour before all the soccer players arrive to use the fields.

I tried the Majestyk at 100 winds (6 x 1/8), to check my adjustments from yesterday - the added stab tilt and a new riser for the rear of the stab.  It was gliding fast, so I added a couple layers of card stock under the stab.  Checked it at 200 winds, and it was now floating nicely.  Wound it up to 700 winds, got a tail stand, but it is so light, that the stall recovery only had it go to level flight (didn't lose altitude) and then it kept going up.  It still went as high as the Square Eagle has ever gone, and it definitely glides better; a slower sink.   The GG had some right thrust, but no down yet, so I added some down thrust and wound it up to 800.  This got me a 2:10 flight, and it went a lot higher.  Now started to see something I hadn't seen before (but this is my first time trimming a P-30 with a 6 x 1/8 motor, too).  On release, it zooms with a mild curve to the left, but at a nice steep angle, then straightens out to straight ahead, climbing steeply, then transitions to a cruise climb in a nice RH circle.  Glide is also a nice RH circle with almost no perceptible change, except the plane does seem to slow down once the thrust is gone.

Then I wound it up to 900, and got more of the same, the same fast start in a mild left curve, then going straight at a very steep angle, then curving into the RH cruise climb.  It got much higher than I had ever seen with the square eagle, and I was nervous about unknown winds at altitude, but it was a still morning so it didn't drift as it circled up high.  Unlike the square eagle with the 2 minute motor run, and a 30 second glide (the tail end of the long motor run has the eagle already in a slow descent) the Majestyk with the 6 x 1/8 had a 50 second motor run, and a 1:30 glide, for a total of 2:20 for that flight.  I called that good enough for the morning, I'll replace the card stock with ply shim and fine tune the glide.  But overall very happy with how the Majestyk flies.   I think it can take more turns, and there is room for more tweaking of the climb and the glide.  I'll also experiment with other motors, too. A fun morning.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show us your P-30's
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:14:58 AM by Victor » Logged
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »

I think I'll quit P30.   This guy's too good for me ....       Sad

Doing great, Victor!
Victor
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: December 18, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »

HA!
thanks AH, but it will be several years before I catch up with anyone, if ever...one step forward with the Majestyk this morning, and a step back with the Square Eagle...the nose block was getting loose, so I tried to shore up the soft balsa with cya; but it ended up affecting how it set into the fuse, so all my power trim adjustments were gone.  So I learned that I need to face it all with some ply, and maybe add some sort of retention rubber band, so it sits flat and consistent in the fuse.

Since I built the Majestyk planning on the GG unit, I didn't put any shims in the nose block or fuse, so it sits flat and square off the bat, and less likely to work loose.  But I suspect unless I upgrade the nose block now, after a few dozen uses, and the nose block getting knocked out and twisting around on every landing, that it will work loose also, just like it has on the square eagle, and will affect my ability to have close tolerances on the thrust angle.

Victor
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: December 19, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »

I always harden the noseblock area with thin CyA. It does tend wallow out with time unless I do so.
Victor
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: December 31, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »

One of my Christmas orders came in, including a Kiwi-Koop (for my first coupe, and folding prop) and some 3/32 and 1/16 rubber, to experiment with different motors in the Majestyk.

Went out yesterday am briefly and tried a 4 x 1/8 in the Majestyk; got a 1:55 motor run, and a 1 minute glide; but didn't get as high as it did with the 6 x 1/8; I broke the motor during the second wind and so I put it away and went off to work.

This morning, with the new rubber that arrived, I tried a 10 x 1/16; for 1000 turns I got around 1:40, then wound it up to 1300 and got a 2:40, but with the plane up around 30 feet or so in a tree at the edge of the field.  I was glad it only ended up that high, as there are lots of 100 footers that would have been the end of the Majestyk, and it had been circling around the big trees outside the field, but luckily it circled around to end up in a shorter tree.  I went off to Wally's and got a golf ball retriever, and duct taped a painting pole extension, which was enough to fish the model out.

I knocked the fin off, but otherwise it seems to be OK, although a bit wet, as it had rained during the night, and the tree branches were all dripping wet.

It looked like the 10 x 1/16 got the plane up as high as the 6 x 1/8 did, but with a longer motor run, increasing the overall time, but will have to try some repeats; I'll also try the 6 x 3/32, too.  Now back to building the Koop.
Valderramos
Bronze Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: January 06, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »

Hi All!

This is my first design and construction of Power Rubber P30.

The model is 44.8 g, all in balsa and tissue, intend to start trimming this weekend ...

Regards
spacerod
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: January 06, 2012, 08:56:38 PM »

Very nice looking P-30. Keep us informed as to how
it flies.

Charlie
Victor
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »

I like that covering job, that is very sharp. I hope we can see pictures of it in the air.

Victor
Valderramos
Bronze Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »

In the Air on the first day of trimming:
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: January 13, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »

Looks very nice, well done!

Peter
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

Nice looking model,Valderramos. Hope it flies well.
John
Alvaro Sala
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Brazil Brazil

Long live google translator!

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: January 14, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »

Valderramos,
Very nice P-30!
Sorry but I can't say the same about your hat... Grin

Brazil: Where the nuts come from.
Valderramos
Bronze Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »

One simple video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F790QhPOqts&feature=player_embedded#!
mooman
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Balsa + Super Glue = NEVER AGAIN

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »

these look cool Cheesy , I want to build one, any recommendations for a first P-30 to build?

Jackson

Go to heaven for the weather, go to hell for the company.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: February 12, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »

Jackson,  There are so many good kits out there, if that is what you want.  Of course, you can build off of plans also.  But for a very basic, easy to build and fly P-30, Al Lidberg's Not Just Another Pretty Face (NJAPF) is great.  That was my first P-30, which I still have, and it flys great.
  A more advanced, with a bit more building skill required is the Majestyk, and wonderful flyer.
  I also had another P-30 called a Souper 30 that liked to fly.  In fact I lost it to the big updraft.
  I'm sure others will give you some more recommendations.  Look at all the suggestions and pick one or two, and have lots of fun.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: February 12, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »

Jackson,
Try this one. Can't get any simpler.
Uses a 'STICK' fuse and all 'sheet' flying surfaces.
Not sure about any 'enclosed motor' rule though.
Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
mooman
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Balsa + Super Glue = NEVER AGAIN

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: February 13, 2012, 06:10:57 AM »

Thats about as simple as you could get... nice one Dave Cheesy

Jackson

Go to heaven for the weather, go to hell for the company.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: February 15, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

Here is my Tail Firster P30.  Just back from a testing session at the sod farm.  It flew well and glided ok, even though the CG is still too far forward.  Oddly, it hooked a little thermal, and went up like someone was pulling it up on a string.  It appeared to levitate horizontally.  It was an odd looking climb. 
I only got up to 700 turns, but it went well.   

Hopefully, the handy picture re-sizer will have done it's magic work, and you will be able to see a picture of it.   
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: