Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 05:28:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show us your P-30's  (Read 61793 times)
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »

This is what I fly. Its a Tail Firster. Wing and stab from kit. Fuselage is rolled 1/20" balsa.
GG prop. Homemade clutch. The tips are reversed from the kit design. They look like winglets this way. It weighs 41 gms with a Walston tracker.

It doesn't fly anywhere near as good as my kit-built, box -stock version which weighs 55 gms without rubber. The heavy one centers in lift and has no problem with wind. I fly in lots of wind.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show us your P-30's
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »

Danberry, Interesting looking airplane. Is this a canard type? I think Lemuel (Matthew) would love this one if it is.  Smiley

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »

There was a free plan in Aeromodeller years ago. I built one and it flew nicely, although I never came up with a good prop freewheeling device. I was worried about the wingtip rudders but must have gotten lucky as mine flew straight off the board.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »

Caley, it is indeed a canard. Also a pusher, which is a pain the , well, posterior to make free-wheel. remember, you can't modify the prop. Its a kit from BMJR. Laser-cut. I have built 5 kits from BMJR. They are quality kits.
The wingtip fins are foam and hold up well enough.
Upon first first seeing it, most guys are REAL skeptical. After that, they just hate to see me pull it out of the box Grin.
I REALLY enjoy flying it.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »

Danberry, great story. Poor guys see you coming with your tail firster and run for the hills.  Grin I've a hard enough time with getting a nose firster to fly well. I think I will stay with the traditional airframe.

Caley

gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »

Here's my one and only ever built P30 built in 2003. Wing and stab outline were based on SENATOR using the same wing spar positions for good turbulation. A very thin 'zip zap' airfoil used. Fuselage simply rolled 1/32 balsa tissue covered, with the bits and pieces glued on or in the case of the viscous home made timer screwed on. Model uses a long 4 strand 1/8th motor.

Model maxed out in local State Champs '03, '04 and '05.
2nd place in flyoff in '03 and 3rd place in '04 and '05.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »

A sort of 'work in progress' photo of a "Sorta-Souper" P30 .. very slow progress as I've spent very little time at my bench for the past two years so this model just gets an occasional ten minutes as and when the 'mood' briefly strikes me Sad It's also a little strange to be building something not of my own design so I've tempered that a little by making a few changes along the way. Most obvious is the pylon, which will contain the tracker bug - the antenna exits at the base, to eventually lie along the top of the fuselage .. and also the airfoiled fin which I figured .. hoped.. might be more efficient than a thin sheet balsa one. A few more odds and ends yet to do, at present it weighs in at 19 grams - not a lot of attention given to wood selection, most of this model has come out of the scrap box.

Then, of course, the prop/nose assembly to do .. should keep me occupied, now and then for another month....  Grin
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »

Jim, Lookin' good. A lean mean flyin'g machine. Grin Wonder why you didn't piggyback on the Souper 30 thread. You're more than welcome to, as is anyone else.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »

I thank you for that thought and invitation, Caley .. .which you did assert when I posted a pic of my wing some time ago . .but I figured that the thread really refers to the progress of your model .. so I went to this general thread instead.... You're doing a great job there, and am encouraged to hear you're building a carriage box for Geneseo.... Grin
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »

Here's a couple of versions of John O'Donnells 'Teachers Pet'.
The one in the background is the first free flight model I ever built (at least that made it to the flying field - there were a couple of gliders that were damaged before ever flying) Despite weighing more than the average plumbers toolbag it has been a consistent performer over the years - normal time without lift is 1.40ish so you need to pop it in something to be sure of the max. Only change made has been a gradual move forward of the CofG which is now at 88%. Everything else as per John's original drawing.
The one in the forground is an attempt to improve the design Undecided
Wing is wider with tapered tips. Fuz slightly slimmed down and weight reduced (still a heavyweight at 59gms ready to go with rubber etc.) Tried a lower pylon, CofG further forward with different wash in wash out set up (original has left tip washed out with all the other panels flat) ...not impressive so just increased pylon height, moved CofG back and reset wing warps back to original Embarrassed

Test flights now pending...

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2009, 06:52:36 PM »

DaddyO Interesting looking design. The fuse being on its corner reminds me of the big model someone was flying in Perris. Might have been a Moffett. It's fuse was black and on edge too.

I've never hit 1:40 with my P-30's. Usually only in the 1:20's with a rare flight in the low 1:30's. I'm very happy with times like that.

Thanks for posting your P-30 piccie.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »

The one in the forground is an attempt to improve the design

John O'D did publish some design amendments in Free Flight News at one time. I remember that upper/lower fins were employed, moved aft from the original placing, the upper acting as a d/t stop for the stab, motor peg moved forward a bay - also wing position (simpler mount?) and a Davis airfoil. He emphasised that the rectangular wing should not be changed. I'll dig through my files to see if I still have the details somewhere.

Caley, square fuselages set on edge are not uncommon ... they have the advantage of increased visibility at a distance but require pylon wingmounts of varying types.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2009, 04:13:27 AM »

square fuselages set on edge are not uncommon

...and they are then called diamond fuselages!! Wink

The article Jim refers to was in a January issue of FFn two or three years ago, and also accompanied 3 views for John Godden's and Dennis Davitt's P30s. My copy is filed away safely, but I can't remember where!!

Peter
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »

Cheers Caley - with these (and coupes) winding until the motor cries 'enough' - then sneaking a few hand turns on as well helps the time Wink Cheesy (these both have 6 strand motors and 'Peck' props)

I like diamond fuz's because the 'midland' style mount is easy to set up and light. Main drawback is the blessed things don't pack in a box very well.

Peter and Jim I'd be interested in seeing what John came up with if either of you come across the info...

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »

Peter, I thought about calling it a diamond fuse, but it just looked like an "on-edge square" Grin

DaddyO, speaking of Coupes, the very nice Tom Garan sent me a couple of plans, the Connoisseur's Coupe D'Hiver and the Beau Coupe. Not sure which is the better of the two. The Beau Coupe is rolled 1/16 balsa tubes in two pieces, with the rear being tapered. Pretty difficult thing to do. Probably could use a carbon fiber rod instead of the tapered tube, and mount it on a cap that fits into the rear of the front fuse. A Coupe has been on my to do list for some time, and it may be my next project.

Caley

DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »

A pool cue is a useful tool for tapered booms Caley (or you can get a local college/woodworker to make one up to the correct size... I normally fudge it myself) Smiley

I like the look of the Beau Coupe with its twin fins...

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2009, 01:55:48 PM »

Drifting off P30's as we are .... Caley, Coupes are taking you deeper into the realms of some complexity ... thin airfoils, folding props, skewed hinges, for example.

For the sake of 'just flying' you might consider older designs such as the 'Baron Knight' by Dave White, and Derl Morley's 'Garter Night', both of which are of simple sturdy construction and employ single-bladed folders with easy hub/fold assemblies. BN has a diamond fuselage, GN is set square. If you feel you might have ay interest I do have a spare plan of the former and can easily copy the latter. They are both good well-tried flyers..

Okay now, back to P30's anyone? I ought to do more to mine some day.. soon
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »

Jim, Good to hear you're going to jump in and finish your SortaSouper 30. Can't wait to see it. Guess we should be seeing some finished product piccies in a day or so, HUH?Huh Grin

Jim, Not sure which of those you mentioned would be best for the beginner builder and flyer in the Coupe class. I could always purchase a ready to fly one, but I just cannot bring myself to do such a thing when it comes to free flight models. If you do make a copy of one, I could pick it up when I am at Geneseo. No point in spending postage when it is getting close to fun in the sun in New York. Or at least I hope it will be nice when I am there. My luck, it will rain the whole time.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »

...piccies in a day or so, HUH?

A day or two? HUH !!

Not much to choose between the two old Coupes. They are not competitive modern state-of-the-art models, dating back to the 60's and designed for the old weight rules (lighter - but ballast could be added) but they would give a solid grounding from which to progress further. It'll be fine at Geneseo - just pack some Californian sunshine
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2009, 06:01:03 PM »

Peter and Jim I'd be interested in seeing what John came up with if either of you come across the info . .

Paul

Although the FFn issue has yet to surface, I can actually do better than that & let you have a copy of the JGP30 plan. It's on an A3 sheet & the airfoils are full size, and wings/tail half size from memory. Andrew Longhurst has been known to call it a "born to fly sweetie pie"!!. PM me your addy & I'll pop a copy in the post (or a couple of A4 sheets to sellotape together). My later version uses a rolled balsa fus (and is heavier as a consequence) and the wings & tail have spent some weeks lurking in the undergrowth at Beaulieu, but survived and are still going strong - one of the advantages of tissue over mylar!

Peter
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »

I have a Zipfile which has the FFN item plus 3-views of the P30's of my old flyin' mates Dennis D and John G ... too large to post here but can email direct to anyone interested in such. Also have the Davis airfoil on another sheet that J O'D refers to .. and can provide a Godden plan fullsize
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2009, 12:15:12 AM »

...piccies in a day or so, HUH?

Okay, okay ... just for Caley ... a mock-up of the SortaSouper 30. Still a few small things to do. It's heavy ... the prop/noseblock/shaft is the culprit  :'(
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »

Lookin' good Jim. Very nice bones.

Caley

gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2009, 05:01:16 AM »

They always look greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat in da bones. Good work there. Smiley
hoogie007
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »

Just a test post-my last one failed for some reason.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: