Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 24, 2019, 12:05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show us your P-30's  (Read 61494 times)
Essem73

« Reply #875 on: July 24, 2015, 01:36:39 PM »

Hi and thank you! The D/T timer is indeed a viscous timer that was supplied with the kit. I think Mike Woodhouse sells something very similar. I will post pics of the completed D/T setup when I have it sorted as it wasn't easy to visualise (for me) and caused me a little head scratching. If I can help somebody else then that's cool.
I really recommend this kit, I'm not an experienced hand, and it was very straightforward, apart from the aforementioned D/T. The quality of the materials is superb.
They come RTF and ARTF too, but I thought I'd get the kit as A) I'm a cheapskate, and B) I thought I'd learn more, and I did.
If anyone wants any more photos or info, of the model or plan etc, just let me know.

Essem.

Essem73

« Reply #876 on: July 24, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »

Just weighed it. 46g as it stands at the moment, just need to add the D/T line and a few rubber bands, so say a gram tops? then 10g motor brings me to 57g. Not bad for a first P30 I suppose. There is room for improvement, but I think that will come with time, maybe substituting some wood for lighter stuff, and perhaps one less coat of dope. The prop and hub aren't the lightest things either.
Just need to get off my bum and turn up at a competition now!

Essem.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #877 on: July 24, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »

that is the Ikara viscous DT.  I have a few of those - haven't tried them yet (and don't have them on the site yet).

--george

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #878 on: July 25, 2015, 04:32:44 AM »

Nice PEE WEE, Essem73!  Your weight is almost the same as the Pee Wee I'm finally getting done (42 grams with just the wing to cover).  I covered my tail surfaces with mylar to try to cut the weight a bit, but will use Esaki for the wing.  I'm hoping to have it finished and trimmed for Marcelo's P-30 Postal on the 6th (which is also the date for an F1abc contest over here).

The DT setup is what caused me to temporarily shelve the model (started almost exactly three years ago), but finally figured it out last month.  Let us know if you have any hang-ups with the slide.  Yeah, that ten gram plus front end does hurt the all-up weight - I wonder if a Gizmo setup would be lighter (would need a nose plug).

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Essem73

« Reply #879 on: July 25, 2015, 04:49:24 AM »

Thanks Pit! Yes, the slide...I'm not convinced with that idea, but having attached a few D/T bands to it and let it go it pings back nicely. I'll just make sure everything moves freely and maybe give it a thin coat of sanding sealer and a rub with some fine sandpaper to make sure it's smooth.
The hub is a bit of a boat anchor isn't it, but I guess it's all about air picking with these things, I'm not too worried about the weight really at my stage of the game.
I'll let you know how the trimming process goes.

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: July 25, 2015, 06:54:21 AM »

Chaps

Gizmos - I don't have one to hand at the moment to weigh, but looking at my notes of a clubmate's Gizmo front ends, they are between 9.6 and 10.2g apiece. I don't know if that includes the nose plug.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if the pylon is glued on place and the model is balanced, you'll likely need to replace the weight saved with lead Sad

Peter
Essem73

« Reply #881 on: July 25, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »

Good point PeeTee, I will leave mine alone and go with what I've got. Will see if it will survive the initial trimming flights on my blasted heath of a flying site, complete with marshes, bushes, cackling old crones, and oh yes, wind turbines...

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #882 on: July 26, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »

Good point about the probable weight difference, Peter.  My model is one of the semi pre-built ones with the pylon already glued on.  Since I've covered the tail surfaces wit 5mil mylar instead of the supplied Esaki, I'll have to remember to verify the CG - might now end up a bit nose heavy with the stock front end.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #883 on: July 26, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »

>9.6 and 10.2g apiece

Mine is 10.3g with noseblock
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #884 on: July 26, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »

Essentially, not enough diff to make any matter - unless one wants to consider the differences in prop performance, if any.

A Dedicated Convert to:

calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #885 on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »

I weighed a relatively new 9 1/2 inch GizmoGeezer prop assembly with the adjustable nose button and free wheeler hardware with a conical nose.  See the attached picture for the weight which came out to be 9.48 grams.

This GizmoGeezer prop assembly is legal for P - 30.  The legality was settled long ago.

I really like the free wheeling of this device and the adjustable thrust line.  I have used it in many models, including scale models.

However, in my Pirate P - 30 the fuselage is very narrow and when I put in enough down thrust the sleeved clevis of the GizmoGeezer prop assembly rubbed against the interior of the fuselage.  So I made up a round wooden nose plug with the GizmoGeezer nose button and used the new 9 1/2 inch orange Chinese prop from Volare Products and a short prop shaft with a conventional hook.  The orange Chinese prop has cool looking scimitar-shaped blades. See the attached picture.  

I make up convential P - 30 rubber motors out of 6 strands (3 loops) of 1/8 inch rubber that come out to about 19 niches, so the orange Chinese prop free wheels based on the conventional ramp. I really like this set up. See another thread on HPA about my latest P - 30 contest results.  I recommend ordering some orange props from George Bredehoft at Volare Procduts. I ordered a bunch from George in various sizes.  I couldn't believe how reasonable the prices are.  We want to keep people like George that supply our niche hobby in business.  

An unexpected benefit of the Chinese prop is that the bright orange color helps you find your airplane in the brush.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show us your P-30's
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:50:03 PM by calgoddard » Logged
randoloid
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: October 09, 2015, 09:24:37 PM »

My latest build... Really pleased with how well it looks, now all I have to get it to fly... Yes it's another Majestyk.  Grin

I did some experimenting and didn't have the heart to recover the stab... which looks horribly out of place now.  oh well.

cd_webb
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #887 on: October 09, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »

That's some nice work! The more I see of the Majestyk, the more I see to like. What was your final weight?

CD
randoloid
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: October 09, 2015, 11:42:33 PM »

That's some nice work! The more I see of the Majestyk, the more I see to like. What was your final weight?

CD

Balanced to CG and ready for the air she weighs in at 54.4 Sad  I have built the same plane at 50.6 but I tried to build strong-- not to mention I went a lil crazy on the printing.
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:58 AM »

My latest build... Really pleased with how well it looks, now all I have to get it to fly... Yes it's another Majestyk.  Grin

I did some experimenting and didn't have the heart to recover the stab... which looks horribly out of place now.  oh well.

Nice Rando!!

OTF'er....
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: October 22, 2015, 07:50:18 PM »

Working on a new P-30 design right now. In covering stage at the moment. I will post pics in a day or two. This will be my model for the 2016 P-30 postal competition. Her name, "Maybe Baby."

OTF'er.....
randoloid
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: October 22, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »

Working on a new P-30 design right now. In covering stage at the moment. I will post pics in a day or two. This will be my model for the 2016 P-30 postal competition. Her name, "Maybe Baby."

OTF'er.....

Don't wait too long...  Can't wait to see it!
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #892 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »

OTF'er.....

Don't wait too long...  Can't wait to see it!

Not quite finished yet. I'm using an old Majestyk fuselage, ( needs some recovering) different wing tip shape, a little larger stab, different rudder with added sub fin. Might just fly.....

OTF'er......
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: October 26, 2015, 09:43:03 AM »

VERY NICE, OTF!  A bit of "Urubu" in the wing shape?

A Dedicated Convert to:

Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:37 PM »

VERY NICE, OTF!  A bit of "Urubu" in the wing shape?

Yes, a bit of the vulture.

OTF'er....
mrwokn
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: December 01, 2016, 10:52:06 AM »

Here is my Majestyk.  I want to compete in a postal contest but this one only weighs 30g airframe only.  I plan on building my 3rd Majestyk.  Should I use CA instead of ambroid next build.  I have an Ikara P30 I want to build next but I am trying to perfect some of my build techniques to reach the target weights before I start opening up new kits. 
randoloid
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #896 on: December 01, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

I love the Majestyk!  I think it's glide when trimmed out is about the prettiest thing I've seen.

Although I've built several, (only one of which flew away) I've never came close building one @30g!    Yours certainly looks well constructed from the photo. Have you flown it yet?
mrwokn
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: December 01, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »

No unfortunately not yet, I need to set aside some time and search for a suitable area to fly it.  I completed the plane last year but had to rebuild a completely new wing after the wind knocked an empty cardboard box on top of it. 
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: December 03, 2016, 02:55:31 AM »

Here is my Majestyk.  I want to compete in a postal contest but this one only weighs 30g airframe only.  I plan on building my 3rd Majestyk.  Should I use CA instead of ambroid next build.  I have an Ikara P30 I want to build next but I am trying to perfect some of my build techniques to reach the target weights before I start opening up new kits.  

Hi mrwokn,

I'm curious? Did you build this from a kit? I had the luxury picking my own wood, which you wouldn't be able to do using the kit version. I build the 1st original model to just a tad over 37 grams. (less rubber) The remaining few grams were added as nose weight coming out under 41 grams. If you are if fact at 30 grams now, you'll have to add weight at the C/G. I would put the weight on top the fuselage under the wing. Once the motor is installed you will need some nose weight to correct C/G. What's left over would be added at that point under the wing.

Otf'er............
mrwokn
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: December 04, 2016, 12:45:23 AM »

I built the short kit. I didn't know how to add weight and balance at cg.  Adding weight to the fuse under and the wing makes sense thanks for the help. I had planned on flying it underweight. 
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: