Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 01:29:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show us your P-30's  (Read 61684 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: August 01, 2008, 08:00:25 AM »

I have enjoyed the P-30 class airplane very much so I designed my own. It flies quite well under power but glides like a brick. It's a great training airplane to figure out trim and stability.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/ff_ou_wizzywig.htm

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Show us your P-30's

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:17:12 AM »

This took me delving into the album for pics of past P30's.

First - to spur Caley in due course - a 'Potent 30'

Second - a P30 variation on my usual low-aspect ratio Mulvihill theme which has been very successful .. but this with a f/w didn't quite come up to expectations. Still did quite well and eventually was lost into a forest but didn't satisfy me.

Finally, my own old reliable 'Marcus Maximus' design - based on the '40s 'SupaDupa' ultralight design. This was the first .. have built several .. just one left now that shows its age, previous one departed at Geneseo last year. Simple, boxy .. no frills .. flys. Last pic is nearing the completion of winding for that farewell flight ..... sigh
Re: Show us your P-30's
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »

I've only built two of these models. My first was the One Night 28 which was actually about the fourth model I ever built and weighed a ton at 50 some odd grams without rubber. But it did eventually fly and did quite well for being so heavy. I next built the NJAPF that was sent to me by some wonderful people in our hobby to encourage me to keep on with the hobby. I am presently still flying it and trying to get longer flights. So far I have gotten consistent flights over one minute and a flight of 90 and one of 95 seconds. I was absolutely elated at those two, which seemed to be up there forever. A couple of pics are provided. I need to rework the tail on the ON28 which is the only thing keeping it from flying again. Darn warps. Cheesy

Caley

Sundance, Nice design.
Jim, That P-30, the middle picture with the Spirfire shaped wings is really a neat design. And I couldn't help noticing and giving a whistle or two on that pic with the legs sticking out of those cutoff jeans. Grin woo-woo!!

What's stall speed?  Undecided
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »

P-30, the middle picture with the Spitfire shaped wings is really a neat design.

Well, as said ... it flew well enough but not to the standard I expected, based upon the Mulvihills which defy the pundits who say that low aspect ratios don't glide well.. and that those wings are prone to tip stall and need lots of washout. No washout, no tip stalls and good glides.. what can I say?

Maybe some day I'll try another P30 with a stretched fuselage and 4 strands.

Two very nice models, Caley, but for the photo, have you placed the wing on backwards on the ON28?

Your final comment .... hmmm Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »

Yes Jim, It is on backward and I can claim that being Blonde as the problem. Grin Gee, I've put wings on backwards several times, including on glide tests. LOL!!!! We blondes are allowed great leeway at what we do. Grin Grin

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:44:39 PM »

We blondes are allowed great leeway at what we do.

As their partners are often pleased to allow them ..... Grin Grin Grin

Ahem ...
Duco Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »

Heres my Bob White designed "Perky 30" with all the bells and whistles including a "pop off" wing D/T.

Bob
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »

Nice one, Bob!
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 12:56:46 AM »

They are all nice. Now sometime I guess I better get one out.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »

Here's my P30. Pic taken a couple of years ago----but it still looks the same now.
Wing based on Senator----I like the turbulator spars.
Fuselage was made over a broomstick.
Rear peg way down the back as it runs 4 strands of 1/8th---10 grams of course. Takes 2000 turns with care, and the motor run is 'forever'.
It maxed out in three local comps. to make the flyoff, but got a 2nd and 2 x 3rds.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:09 PM »

Gossie, Does making it over a broomstick mean it is witch brewed? Grin Do have a question on making the round fuse. If you do use a broomstick as your jig, would you wrap the broomstick with very thin plastic sheeting and then glue the balsa over that? I would think that the very thin plastic would add strength and act as a blast tube.

Caley

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »

I have to think about this------From memory I used 1/32nd straight grain medium to hard balsa, cut it to length and the diameter of the Witch's broom, doped it a couple of times on the inside only, then doped tissue onto it----can't remember if Esaki Lite or more than likely lightweight Modelspan.
I then wet the outside with water and kept it wet all day. Rolled it wet around the broom handle with no plastic or anything else and bound it up tightly with a I think it may have been a bandage-----held it all together like this on the broom handle with rubber bands until the next day when it was dry.
It of course slipped straight off, so then all I did was make sure the join was touching and run Cyano over the join very carefully to hold it together.
I then doped the outside and tissue covered it.
It's quite strong and has withstood several blowups at close to the 2000 turns. I don't use a blast tube in it.

No idea if that's the 'proper' way to do it, but it's been okay for me. Hope that helps.
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 07:55:07 PM »

Hi all: this is photo of my P-30, named Dragonfly. This P-30 will get 90 seconds to 2 minutes dead air.

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:14:58 PM »

Gossie, That sounds much like what I've heard elsewhere. I just need to know this stuff, as the next P-30 I have is a rolled tube type.

Bob, Good lookin' model and sounds like a great flyer.

Caley

robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »

The next P30 you are working on will have a rolled fus. have you ever rolled one? it is not that bad if you get the wood good and wet. do you have a plane in mine? there are some very good ones you can get the plans for. the best one is the POLE CAT. could you keep me informed ?

Bob

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »

Pretty airplane, Bob!
robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03:39 PM »

This P30 came from a man that lives in FLA. his name is DAVE PLATT he is well known for his plane's .

Bob

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »

Bob, I have the Potent 30. It is very similar to most rolled fuse P-30's I've seen. I know there are differences, but they are pretty close in appearance. The kit already has a rolled fuse, but I just don't trust wood that has been sitting for who knows how long. I will roll my own. I've done lots of balsa laminations for wingtips and stabs, so I do have some experience bending wood. I will just soak things overnight in the bathtub and have everything else ready to go when it comes out. I am thinking very seriously of using the super thin plastic on the inside instead of paper. I will experiment on how it adheres, but it should work fine. Maybe a bit heavier than tissue but much tougher. I'e heard of Dave Platt. Not sure if I have any of his plans or models.

Caley

Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »

Here's my Majestyk, given some design changes. To give it that "Oldtimer Stick Model" look.

OTFlyer...
Duco Guru

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »

Caley:

I know you do things differently and like to experiment, I would do as Gossie suggests; dope tissue to the balsa inside, soak it in water, roll it on a broom handle or piece of pvc pipe and wrap with an ACE bandage until dry. Glue the seam, cover with tissue outside and you are done.

Dave Platt is a WORLD CLASS R/C model builder/designer.If you saw the movie "The Battle of Britain" the Stuka's and other airplanes that were exploded/shot down were his..A shame to see that work destroyed.

Bob
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 10:28:02 PM »

Bob, OK, I just thought my idea might be stronger.Though I was trying to figure out how to glue something like plastic to the inside side of something that is soaked with water. Probably not possible.

Caley

Oh Yeah, and I will have to go out and buy an ACE bandage to put that wood in bondage. Grin

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 10:33:12 PM »

Dave Platt is a WORLD CLASS R/C model builder/designer

An expatriate Brit, he has been just as well known in C/L circles (no pun intended) and in many areas of F/F; a very versatile craftsman and a nice guy .....

Caley, if the Potent 30 tube looks and feels sound - use it. It should be okay, anyway.
robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 07:04:23 AM »

HI Oldtime Flyer,

Yes the Majestyk is one of the best P30'S I have ever had, there is a lot of great flying P30'S out there. One of the best ones I had was a P30 was a One Knight 28.

Bob

robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »

This is my granddaughter holding my P30, she is starting to fly 1/2A CL.

Bob

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »

Bob, Your granddaughter is a cutie. Am glad she is interested in the hobby. Wow!! C/L.

Caley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: