Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 07, 2020, 02:51:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mercury Junior Mallard  (Read 3616 times)
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »

I'm about to start a new power model!
I have always liked the look of the Mercury Mallard, but I never knew that the Junior version (33.5" span) was legal for vintage bmfa comps until Tony Sheppard mentioned it the other day at Salisbury Plain.  I got hold of the plan and I liked it but didn't have a suitable engine.  Dad came up with a solidified DC Merlin but it was missing its prop nut.  Keen to have an engine that was useable I bought a new PAW 55.  I just ran it for the first time today.  I can't say I'm in love with this engine yet as its really difficult to get a feel for what its doing and it took a while to coax it into life.

I keep meaning to make a start on the model but so far this week it hasn't happened.  Now that I've told everyone then there's no going back.  I don't suppose it will be anywhere near as good as a top banana but I think it looks nicer!  Hopefully by the time the model is finished I'll have the engine run in and starting easily. We'll see.
Adam
Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »

If I recall, the prop nuts on the old Allbon engines were 2 BA (or maybe 4 BA) - metric ones won't work so you'd need to find someone who sells the old BA threaded nuts

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »

Junior Mallard is a good choice Adam, but I thought mini Vintage power was limited to under 0.5cc - in which case the Merlin would have been no good anyway.

In my limited diesel experience little ones don't behave quite like the bigger ones.
On a (say) 2.5cc engine, from a running setting, you back the comp. off 1/4 turn, open the needle some, choke it over one turn, add a small prime and flick.
When it starts, bring on the comp. and then turn down the needle as it begins to labour.

On a little one you just open the needle and choke, then flick to start. I think.................

Comments anyone?

By the way - little ones really need fresh fuel.

John

Gliders are a part of me.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:31:57 AM »

but I thought mini Vintage power was limited to under 0.5cc

It is actually 0.85cc, and from memory it was increased from 0.8cc to allow the PAW 049.

Adam, I too picked up a Junior Mallard plan from Roy Tiller at the 1066 do. Although much of the detail is on the plan, I've also a copy of the printwood. If it'll help, give me a shout and I'll get one off to you.

Happy building

Peter
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »

The choice of the PAW 55 for the Jnr Mallard should make for an exciting model to watch under power as long as it is turning LEFT!
The only modifications I would make are down the back end: carbon reinforcing (internal) where the stab mount starts and a redesign of the tail stops which do fail. Several have been built here powered by a DC Merlin and a Mills 75 respectively...good sport model, might try one for a Schlosser 0.5 TBR recently acquired  Grin

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »

I've never quite understood why a Mallard should turn left under power, even though that's the trim recommended by Mercury.   In the early 50's a friend and I flew the 48" version very successfully to the right, with Elfin 2.49 beam and radial mount respectively.   The wings, however, cannot cope with a  McCoy .19RR Redhead...   ah, the blind confidence of youth ... Grin
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »

Thanks for the kind offer Pete, I got a copy of the printwood with the plan as well as the instructions, so I'm sorted.
I was wondering about the left trim advice in the instructions.  I have seen Mallards (the bigger one) flying well to the right.  My intention is to build it just like any power model with tail tilt and slight warps for a right hand pattern and the cg at about 80% or so with a bit of downthrust.  So just like most any other power model and see how it goes.  The plan has quite a lot of incidence on the wing and a bit of positive on the stab.  I might consider reducing both so the stab is at 0 deg and the wing at +3 or 4.
What do you guys think?

I might try to make a start tonight, or at least give the engine another go.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »

I might consider reducing both so the stab is at 0

Likely then to need more downthrust?

Incidentally the 48" flys better with the moment arm stretched a couple of inches ... lol.    Years ago an oft-winning Vintage flyer just happened to be walking back upfield with another Mallard flyer and we noted the difference. After some discussion we never saw that model again  !!
fundiwastima
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »

I fly with Morley and District Model Club where a couple of members have a Junior Mallard fitted with PAW engines, one a 0.55 and another an 0.049.  Both models fly well with right climb and glide and both are eligible for mini vintage. I would like to get hold of a plan and printwood details as I fancy a go at the model.  It is quite small less in fact than Le Timide and Sugarfoot which are also eligible.  The Sugarfoot is large for the class but climbs well and has an excellent glide from the huge wing.  Can be built quite light despite a lot of 3/16 wood.
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »

Hi,
I got the plans from:
www.model-plans.co.uk
I actually bought from ebay, but the envelop has this address on it, loads of stuff on the site.

Just an update on my model, I built the flying surfaces but had to stop the project whilst moving house back before Christmas.  I have just got
 my modelling room set up in the garage and have started building again.  At present I am just getting models ready for flying again, but I will be getting on with the Junior Mallard in due course.  When I start on to it again I'll keep you all up to date.
Cheers,
Adam
fundiwastima
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 04:59:18 AM »

Smiley Thanks for the guidance.  Plan now ordered and eagerly awaited.  Derick Scott has a huge collection and his prices are not excessive.
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:03:30 AM »

I've managed to get on with the Junior Mallard, should be a pick of the structure.  I didn't have time to clear the board off before taking the pic!

It should be ready for covering soon.  I ran the engine up again and I'd forgotten the procedure to get it started.  The little PAW 55 is not particularly user friendly and floods easily.  The prop stopped a couple of times and I cut my finger on the back of the prop. ouch!  With a bit of masking tape for protection I got it going ok and gave it a bit more running.  I want to have it starting ok before it goes in the model.  It may even be finished by next week if I get the time.

I moved house at the end of November and now my modelling space is in the garage.  It was too cold in there in recent weeks and I'm not that dedicated.  Now its warming up a bit I won't have so many excuses.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mercury Junior Mallard
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »

Junior Mallard I bought part built with a new unrun Webra Piccolo in about 1958.  Bought it from a really good friend and fellow aeromodeller.  He'd gone MG happy.

Finished it off a couple of years later and it sat about for a while as it was one of my periods when I was doing other things, including MGs also.

Met a nice girl in 1961, and suggested shortly after let's go where the model planes are flown.......I have new one that needs to be flown.

It was a nice day, so we went in a bit from the fence, I gave the model a couple glides, and it looked good, so fired up the little Piccolo and tossed it.   It flew like a rocket......straight up and it caught mild lift.

Suggested this girl stay where she was as I better go chase this model.........no DT on it by the way.   I guess 10 or 15 minutes later I got back with the model, and said........so what do you think of that?

Mmmm, she said......Rather a strange thing to do is what I thought.  Guess she was right.

We got married a little over 3 years later, and the guy I bought Mallard and Piccolo off was best man at our wedding.

Still married.  Same girl.  Still fly model aeroplanes.  Still have the Piccolo........but it's in a Aeromodeller Fearnley Lutom Minor.   Mallard got flown to death.

Anyway, enough raving.  Very nice looking Mallard you have there, I hate trees.   It just bought back nice memory's.   Maybe I should get a plan and build another.  BUT, will she come out when I give it it's first fly?  
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »

Good Story Gossie,
My first flights haven't been quite as good!
There should be a pic attached of the finished Mallard.  I took it last weekend to Middle Wallop for a first try out. It showed promise but was a bit tight and loopy and only got about 6 secs motor run.  I thought it needed less incidence, but I couldn't get the engine to run to try it anymore.  It started to rain so we packed up for the day. The PAW is a bit tricky to get running as it will flood at the slightest provocation and the compression has to be adjusted up once it is running.  You have to be quick to get the compression up or the engine stops.  In a rush I stuck my hand in the prop.

Back at home I ran the engine again and found the settings so was keen to give it another try.  I took the model up to Epsom Downs on Thursday (I've had a couple of days off work).  I had two or three flights and was getting the trim better but still wasn't really happy.  I tried another 1/16" under the wing TE and tried again.  This time the Mallard zoomed up in a pretty good spiral for about 12 sec engine run and transitioned perfectly into a right glide turn.  Wow, it is pretty quick on the climb and should get pretty high on the full 20 secs allowed.  The model has a tomy for dt and should have popped after about 30 secs, needless to say it didn't dt and the model circled beautifully at about 200 ft or so and gradually dissapeared off Epsom Downs.  I chased it to the edge of the downs and watched it fly away.  As I turned to trudge back to the launch point and pick up the stuff it started to pour with rain and then hail.  I had left my coat at the launch point and got soaked and had blood dripping off my hand where I had stuck my hand in the prop again!  One of the lows that only the hardened free flighter can understand...

I was gutted to lose it before I'd even got it fully trimmed, especially as it looked pretty good.  My fault though as the dt should have worked, or I forgot to start it in all the excitement.  The next day I was allowed to order a new PAW 55 to cheer me up!  I had a nice conversation with Tony Eifflander, who also offered to build me a plain bearing 19 with full 3.5cc for SLOP. I'm going to ask for that for my Birthday.

Anyway, I got a text this morning from a guy who was working on the Highway development who had found the Mallard on the edge of the M25, Hooray!  I'm going to meet him at a layby on Tuesday to get it back.  So there is hopefully going to be a happy ending, the Mallard back and a new PAW (I have insisted that it is too late to cancel the order) Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mercury Junior Mallard
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »

That's an even nicer story than mine trees.   You can build two now and have competitions between them. 
tonyshepherd
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »

I've only just spotted this thread and it may be that no one's watching now.  Adam, I didn't know you'd built a Jnr Mallard - did you get it back OK from the Highways bloke?

Tony
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »

Hi Tony,
Yes, I got the Mallard back.  It was in one piece but had been out in a hale storm on the hard shoulder of the M25.  All the top surface of the flying surfaces were punctured!  I had to recover the wings and tail.  I modified the tail platform to build in the positive incidence I had in during trimming and I made a new tail platform that did not have a taper.  I found that the extra packing under the LE of the tail had wedged the stab into the stops and hindered dt, hence the flyaway.

Back out on Epsom on a rare, glorious day in May with almost no drift I tried it again and it was immediately looking good.  Its such a small model that it looks massively high after 17-18 secs.  It has been a lot of fun, but since that day it has stayed in the box for obvious reasons that all UK flyers will understand.  I'm looking forward to trying it in a few mini vintage contests.  I doubt that I will do very good with it as picking the air is out of the question as it takes me 5 mins or so to get the engine going every time.  It will be interesting to see how it compares to a Top Banana. 

After the repairs and recovering etc the weight has pushed up to almost 7oz, which is a lot. It could be built a fair bit lighter, but for a first model the extra strength of wood in the flying surfaces meant that it has stayed straight through its adventures.  Writing this has got me in the mood to try it again, only a couple of weeks til the 6th Area event!
tonyshepherd
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »

I have a Junior Mallard which I flew once on Salisbury Plain a couple of years ago and it piled in. Damage was really minor so I mended it and put it away and hadn’t flown it until last night at Beaulieu – when it plied in again! The engine used to be a PAW 55 but I needed that for something else so swapped it for a MP Jet 040 which is too heavy and a grade A pain to stop on demand (if it had stopped quicker last night then I might have got away with it!).  Anyway, the fus broke in two at the TP leading edge but as is the case with balsa, it knitted back together well and a liberal soaking with thin Zap saw it flyable in about 20 mins, albeit at low revs, just chugging round the sky at low level.  Decision now made to fly it as a sport model with my Tomboy and Simplex and stuff like that on Salisbury Plain with the guys from the Aldershot club – I’ve decided that I need more sport flying as it’s really relaxing!!

Rex Woodruffe has been flying one for many years – it was he who first pointed it out to me – I can’t remember what engine he has on board but I think it’s a DC Dart or Merlin.

As for PAW55s, they are great little engines provided that you have one that starts well which is not always the case – some seem to require 3 weeks’ notice of the application of fuel.  The best one I had would start within about 6 flicks whatever the weather or the temperature.  The crankshaft broke one day at an area meeting and I sent it back to Macclesfield for a replacement but it was a pain from then on.  Eventually I took its cylinder, piston and con-rod and fitted them onto a crankcase and crankshaft from one that started well but had a worn out piston and I ended up with one good engine which is now on my Top Banana.  It’s not as good a starter as the original but reasonable.  Good fuel with loads of ether is essential for small diesels – I use a home brew comprising 20 castor oil /40 paraffin/40 ether/2 diesel additive, all ingredients coming from Flitehook except the paraffin which I get from B&Q.

I’m really looking forward to seeing your Junior Mallard at a mini vintage comp later in the year but my own view is that there is still little to beat a light and well-trimmed Top Banana, except for a good rubber model in fine weather (or unless your name's Phil Ball). I wouldn’t expect to see a Junior Mallard bettering one on a regular basis so there’s a challenge, prove me wrong !!!  Wink

Cheers - Tony

I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

The Junior Mallard had its first proper contest outing on Sunday at the midland Gala and came third!

I think its a pretty good model and good for about four mins.  I forgot to start the dt on its second flight and it did 4.04 to the ground.  The glide is very nice.  In the flyoff I put a piece of flight card less elevation in as it was just a bit stally on the glide.  This made the model go a bit faster and to the right, the last few seconds of run were a wall of death so it didn't get quite as high as previously, it still managed 2.47. Also, by the time of the fly off it was a bit more windy at about 10 mph.

I'm really pleased with the model and may even build a new one over the winter.  Of course the Top Banana is probably a better model, but if the Mallard can do four mins odd consistantly that must put it into contention in most contests. 
The thing is, the top two places were taken by rubber models, which both did over 5 mins in good air.  There's just no way of picking air as starting the engine is not instant, by any means! I was just relieved to start it within the 10 min slot with only minimum blood loss.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »

Well done Adam! I wasn't sure if you were flying the Mullard, but it was an excellent result, especially as Frank Rushby's dieselised Cox TB didn't even feature in the results. I have to say that I thought the wind was a bit more than 10 mph at the flyoff - or perhaps it was a gust that ripped my CO2 model from my nerveless fingers Roll Eyes

Cheers

Peter
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »

Well done.   What engine time do you use on the Mallard in competition? 
tonyshepherd
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »

Nice one Adam.  I suspect that 4 mins in flat air might be a bit optimistic - put it down to your superior air picking skill!  Despite my love of the dear old Top Banana, it's good to see a different power model in the top 3 (it'll ward off the FFTC trying to find a reason to ban it !!!!  Grin

Tony
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »

>In the flyoff I put a piece of flight card less elevation in as it was just a bit stally on the glide.  This made the model go a bit faster and to the right, the last few seconds of run were a wall of death

Strange ..  increasing stab incidence commonly straightens the power pattern rather than put the model into a tight right turn...   maybe a touch of nose ballast might have been preferable?

Mallard trimming was for a left power turn, something I'd never consider for a pylon model. Are you flying R/R ?
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02:09 AM »

Yes, I agree with you Jim, that's what I expected too.

The model had been very slightly over elevated and was gently stalling on the glide.  Because, I presume, of the large stab the model never looked in danger of building up into hammerhead stalls.  I think the slight over elevation got the nose up on the power phase and reducing the decalage just made the model fly slightly faster.  Also, it was more windy at fly off time and I launched a bit right and the model did a low swoop to start.  The glide was very wide and only just turning, with stab tilt, so I was loath to add more left rudder trim for the climb.

I might need more stab tilt so I can add more trim tab left rudder for the power, and/or a gurney flap on the inboard wing for a bit more wash in.  the model flys right-right just like any other power model.

The critical thing wil be if the model can be trimmed to have a good, repeatable power climb, which is still competitive.  I beat Frank Rushby because his TD diesel powered Top Banana piled in!  As to potential duration times, the day at North Luffenham was constant grey cloud cover with about 6-7mph winds in the early part of the day, not really thermally conditions but the air can be a bit "thicker" on those types of day and maybe I just chucked it into nicer patches three times.  The point is the model has a good glide, although its small to look at it still has 190 sq" wing with a nice undercambered section with next to no frontal area.  The height it reached on 20 secs engine run was very satisfying, although I'm sure a hot Top Banana would get a fair bit higher. 

What I am really pleased about is that it has enough performance to be a viable alternative to rubber powered models, which I have flown in mini vintage for ages and am a bit bored of.  Also, it was great to have a nice day's power flying before the Winter sets in.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »

Sounds as though a little more tail tilt might have taken care of the slight glide stall and also tightened the circle?

Was the swoop to the right a 'one-off' due to launch ...  or a consistent  turn before entering a more proper climb attitude? If the latter, a little downthrust might do the trick rather than adding left rudder.

Hope not telling you how to suck eggs  ....    Cheesy

'Hi' to Frank Rushby ......

I had a good Elfin 2.5 Mallard in the 50s, quite reliable .. until I got over confident and switched to a McCoy .19RH RR.  Wings objected to that....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: